NASA Funding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavRedf

Reaction score
A while ago I started a thread on funding for NASA and the new plan to put a man back on the moon.
Well I think i've found the answer.

David

Not as much a joke as you might think. We had another thread discussing this awhile back. Fact is that Deke Slayton's old company tried selling advertising space on their Conestoga rockets. The movie "Last Action Hero" actually bought space and intended to advertise, but the Conestoga launch was delayed so long that the movie had already come and gone. Don't be surprised to find that NASA's looked for similar gimmicks. I suspect its just a matter of time before they start selling naming rights...."Liftoff of the Fedex Shuttle Discovery, and the Shuttle has cleared the McDonald's tower!" "The Fedex Shuttle is now pushing through the Microsoft Max Q" ...just a matter of time.

If NASA were to offer a Pay-Per-View license to watch all live video from a manned Mars mission, say for $10 per month over the life of the mission (30 months?), I'd subscribe. Multiply $300 by the number of subscribers (50 million worldwide?) and that's fifteen billion dollars.

Now, intersperse limited advertising during the peak viewing times, i.e. launch, TMI, arrival, entry/landing and the first EVA's on the surface, and you could rake in a few billion more.

It may not completely pay for the mission, but it would fund a big chunk of it.

If I'm paying for a video channel, I expect not to have to pay for it again by suffering through advertisements!

Also I would be afraid that if NASA-TV-2 (Your Mars Information Station, broadcasting 23.5 hours a sol!) was advertisement-driven, it might start to affect the mission the way it does, say, a hockey game (Okay, on the next break in the action, can you guys just stop the EVA for three minutes while we run a commercial break?)

The pay-per-view idea is a good one, though. Sure you could set up a massive satellite dish in your backyard to pick up the NASA-TV downlink, but for a mere $10/month we'll add it to your cable lineup. Yeah, that's good.

Back