NASA drops "insensitive" nicknames for cosmic objects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adafruit, one of the major hobbyist electronics module suppliers, either initiated or signed up with a (very small) group to get the "master" & "slave" terminology for the I2C two-line serial communications protocol officially changed because of the non-PC aspect of those terms. Thankfully, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Welcome to the 1984 Newspeak era. Insane...
GitHub, the largest open source software repository by a wide margin (and the repository hosting Openrocket) has announced the main branch of a repository will no longer be called the Master branch. I've got no idea when or how they plan to enforce this.
The Linux kernel developers have announced the terms master and slave will no longer be used in the kernel. There's no way anything they pick to replace those terms will be as clear.

It depends on the group, the image they want, the people they hire, general priorities, etc. Amazon, Microsoft, Python are many others besides NASA that made changes to suit their goals. The tech world I'm from: they couldn't care less bout names, X and x would be perfectly fine.

I don’t really think it’s a big deal dropping Eskimo Nebula or Siamese Twins Galaxy. If we don’t refer to people as Eskimos or Siamese Twins anymore out of respect for the people those terms referred to, then I don’t see much of a problem dropping the terms from celestial objects. That doesn’t seem like PC run amok to me. I’d like to see the list before making a judgment about it.

Regarding WVB.

The guys is dead. What DIFFERENCE does it make?

Seems like we have much more critical things on our plate dealing with the living than worrying about the ideological leanings of the dead.

Learning from history IS important in hopes we don’t repeat the same mistakes.

Let’s celebrate the Emilio Zapatas and Harriet Tubmans and Alvin Yorks and Kazuo Otanis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuo_Otani

those who have worked to make the world a better place, rather than debate the motives of people not around to defend themselves.

Let’s worry less about what things are named and more about how to treat others with respect, dignity, and compassion.

PC = too many hyper sensitive people with too much time on their bloody hands. They need to spend time living in places like Africa, Central America, Syria, etc... Then they will realize just how bad real life can be and gain some true perspective.

Come on America, WAKE UP!
[/Rant]
[/QUOTE]
AMEN! Well said.

i guess even NASA cannot escape this ridiculous avalanche called political correctness. People complaining about the names NASA has given were not told "NO" as a child and not whipped with a belt for discipline.

PC = too many hyper sensitive people with too much time on their bloody hands. They need to spend time living in places like Africa, Central America, Syria, etc... Then they will realize just how bad real life can be and gain some true perspective.
Indeed. Living among people who survive on $1 a day, changes your perspective on a lot of things.

I'm reminded of a tour of the Lincoln Cathedral in.. Lincoln England. (go Imps!!)

The tour was pretty neat, we got to see a lot of the church & all. But a few things stuck with me over the years. During the tour, a few of the ornately carved walls had depicted the saints, pretty much all of them/ But back in the 1700's early 1800's (don't remember exactly) this was was considered taboo (like no pics of Allah). So, the malitia that was 'camped out' in the cathedral took potshots at knocking their heads off. A number of years later, portraying the saints came back in fashion. So a local sculptor was tasked with putting their heads back. (incidentally, a lot of the heads were his head! he used his head as the model for a lot of them!)

Also, a lot of the tombs that were under the church, were decorated with lovely brass inlays in the stone floor. But again, at one point in time, this was considered unnecessary & 'ickey', so the brass work was removed (and I believe put towards a war effort). So, more history lost. The brass pins were still in the floor,

Airport '75 was on a few months ago. i remember watching it when I was .. Holley molley that movie is NOT PC today!

So, things change, trends change. It not necessarily about one or two people, but a group effort to either get recognition, show some compassion & courtesy, or to just try and make amends for past incentives..

The McGill Redmen recently changed their name, because of the connotations 'redmen' have (they actually were called 'redmen' because they wore red)
Several lakes & other geographical places in Quebec have undergone a name change to remove the 'N' word.

https://lincolncathedral.com/https://www.mcgill.ca/principal/communications/statements/decision-about-redmen-namehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...at-contain-the-n-word-to-be-renamed-1.3245106

Back