NASA Discovers strange new "Goblin World"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, so that's what's going on. When I first chimed in, all I saw was DM's "lol" posting and thought he was pulling our leg. That's the reason for the sour faced smiley.

Oh, so that's what's going on. When I first chimed in, all I saw was DM's "lol" posting and thought he was pulling our leg. That's the reason for the sour faced smiley.
Originally posted in both LP & HP forums and didn't catch it until a few people already started responding.

Funny, the NY Times article credits Dr. Scott Sheppard with the discovery, but I was just reading this morning's Honolulu Star Advertiser and it says that David Tholen ( University of Hawaii astronomer) first observed the object at the Subaru 8 meter telescope at the summit of Mauna Kea on Oct. 13, 2015. Maybe one of his "colleagues"? They nicknamed it the Goblin because they were working to identify it around Halloween. BTW that is an artist's rendering, not a photograph. I don't think we currently have any probes that far out.

Funny, the NY Times article credits Dr. Scott Sheppard with the discovery, but I was just reading this morning's Honolulu Star Advertiser and it says that David Tholen ( University of Hawaii astronomer) first observed the object at the Subaru 8 meter telescope at the summit of Mauna Kea on Oct. 13, 2015. Maybe one of his "colleagues"? They nicknamed it the Goblin because they were working to identify it around Halloween. BTW that is an artist's rendering, not a photograph. I don't think we currently have any probes that far out.

Look at it closer

At side note...I JUST came in from laying on white primer (what little I had) on my InFlight Goblin Clone, and was checking new post when I came across this one.
Sometimes...things just work that way I guess.
Now...If NASA's Goblin Planet would have been an Ice Covered World...that would make it all that more interesting...to me. (Match the white primer I just put down)

At side note...I JUST came in from laying on white primer (what little I had) on my InFlight Goblin Clone, and was checking new post when I came across this one.
Sometimes...things just work that way I guess.
Now...If NASA's Goblin Planet would have been an Ice Covered World...that would make it all that more interesting...to me. (Match the white primer I just put down)
From the Honolulu Star Advertiser this morning:

"We have no physical data on it. We don't know its color or its composition. Given its remote and frigid location, it could be covered in ice, but that's unknown"
Dr. David Tholen

Back