NASA/ Boeing Just Can't Tell Time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was just reading an article about the test firing of the SLS core motors sometime this week down in Bay St. Louis MS. In the article it describes how a dress rehearsal for the firing had to be shut down early last month because of timing issue. When I was a kid we learned to tell time in elementary school using a sheet of paper with clock faces on it. We would look at where the hands were and write down what time it was. We would do 3 or 4 of these a week to learn how to tell time. Maybe NASA should get some of those for the folks at NASA/Boeing so they can learn to tell time and how to set clocks. Come on these are suppose to be really smart people and I know they are way smarter than me and I do how to read time and set clocks properly.

On another note I use to spend a lot of time in Bay St. Louis and I remember when they use to test the Saturn 5 and the Space shuttle engines. It would roll you out bed with no problem it was a thing to be heard.

[Master engine control computer to LOX purge valve]: Activate at T+30
[LOX purge valve]: ...Um, is that when the big hand is on the 6?

:) Coyote I'm not trolling I mean just what I said. It doesn't mean it has to be just a clock it can be anything that involves getting things done. For the last several years both NASA and Boeing have been making mistakes in key measurements, clocking, timings, etc. They crashed a Mars rover into the planet because somebody forgot to convert metric to inches or vice versa, they (Boeing) missed the proper orbit in their last launch because they forgot to set a clock right, they miss critical operations because somebody miss coded a program. In previous years that would not have happened because they had humans checking and rechecking the calculations along with the computers. They have spent billions and billions of tax dollars on SLS, Artemis, and other programs and to date have not achieved one successful launch. All of the programs are seriously behind schedule and their only answer is for congress to throw more money at them. Recently I was stranded for 7 hours in Denver because the computer on the Boeing Dreamliner I was on crashed and they had to reload the OS from a computer in St. Louis. Boeing makes great fighter jets and airliners up to when they stubbed their toe on the 737 Max. Boeing is no longer an aerospace company it has become a corporate tick. And all the while companies like SpaceX and others are dancing circles around both Boeing and NASA. No I'm not trolling just stating what I feel. I'm a child of NASA I grew up with it all the way back to the beginnings with the X-15, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, the Shuttle.

For the last several years both NASA and Boeing have been making mistakes in key measurements... They crashed a Mars rover into the planet because somebody forgot to convert metric to inches...
One, that was Lockheed Martin, not Boeing, and two, it was a much more subtle error than these stories give it credit for. (I worked on that program as an instrument supplier, not my mistake but I know all the details.)

Sometimes stupid mistakes get made, true, but most times things are more complicated and nuanced and get dumbed down in the reporting.

Come on these are suppose to be really smart people and I know they are way smarter than me and I do how to read time and set clocks properly.
Usually something a bit more sophisticated than a Mickey Mouse clock is used. IRIG time code being very popular. With a master GPS receiver transmitting time code and everything else synced to it. Widely used in ground instrumentation.

But the only news I could find mentioned a timing error (a fraction of a second) on a valve closure. Something that would have absolutely nothing to do with reading a clock and everything to do with how the engine control system was programmed.

Complex systems (and the RS25 is very complex) have lots of ways to fail and testing is how you work out those problems. Sure it was used for a long time on the Space Shuttle but now it is being integrated into a new system. With subtle differences.

Back