NARCON 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Sam. Long time no chat. I am in the process of cranking up to do more rocketry. About to rejoin DARS, so will be seeing you..

I hit a few of the sessions yesterday and today and the Manufacturers forum last night.

The gallery view used in the mfg forum really hurt the quality of the presentation. Multiple windows on one screen were all too small. Could barely see who was talking, much less see what they were presenting.

Other than that, was a great event and what I saw went well. The sessions I saw with a single presenter had great quality video. I particularly enjoyed the Dave Shaefer presentation on unusual high power projects and Frank Burkes on large lightweight scale models.

YouTube videos of the semiNARs are always much appreciated.

A note to everyone: We're about to have the evening keynote speech at vNARCON.

Be aware that you can still get a ticket...and if you do you will have access to all the presentations and the related chats and Q&As (the ones that have already taken place and the ones yet to come) through the end of February. As I understand it you do not need to be a NAR member to do that, either.

The gallery view used in the mfg forum really hurt the quality of the presentation. Multiple windows on one screen were all too small. Could barely see who was talking, much less see what they were presenting.
You should be able to control that on your end by changing the view, right? Don't think I've ever been on a Zoom meeting where you couldn't.

Agreed, that left a lot to be desired. It wasn't Zoom....and that has been, so far, the weakest "presentation" with respect to how it was actually presented. Something to figure out for next time.

Agreed, that left a lot to be desired. It wasn't Zoom....and that has been, so far, the weakest "presentation" with respect to how it was actually presented. Something to figure out for next time.
Ah sorry, for some reason I thought it was Zoom.

In any case, whenever one person is presenting to many, their window should be largest. I look forward to seeing what was actually going on when the youtube videos are released.

My understanding is that the moderators can view each full screen but we can't. If so, could you upload the YouTube on full screen?

If you're not able to use Zoom for the Mfg Forum next year, an alternative is for each vendor to play their own pre-made video then go live with the Q&A where it usually doesn't matter the size. All they need is their laptop's webcam and Microsoft Camera app to capture the video.

Not Zoom, but some proprietary Accelevents video streaming service that runs as a browser plugin.
Video quality is variable, but mostly good enough. The tiny sub-screen format for multi-presenter events, like that used during Manufacturers Forum, sucked. It was hard to see much detail on 1/8 of the screen devoted to each active presenter. The rest of the screen was wasted. I certainly hope NAR has been recording and archiving the original video feed, and will be able to upload the full resolution feed to YouTube.

Single person presentation, like Steve Jurvetson's keynote, also came through with a tiny weird PIP format, but the content was great. So was Jim Jarvis's 15K talk, and many others.
Jurvetson's talk is alone worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
Hey, Sam. Long time no chat. I am in the process of cranking up to do more rocketry. About to rejoin DARS, so will be seeing you..

I hit a few of the sessions yesterday and today and the Manufacturers forum last night.

Other than that, was a great event and what I saw went well. The sessions I saw with a single presenter had great quality video. I particularly enjoyed the Dave Shaefer presentation on unusual high power projects and Frank Burkes on large lightweight scale models.
Hi Tom, yes, too long ! I’m really enjoying this weekend party. Lack of travel time and to a lesser degree, expenses, have kept me from attending one of these. I reconnected with Dave S. on Friday for a nice chat and I attended his session yesterday as well. We’ve been lucky to keep to our monthly launch schedule with limited attendance; it’s about the only time I’ve gotten out of the house these past months. :)
Looking forward to seeing you at the next one.

Last edited:
This has been my first NARCON, and the virtual format has been a blessing. Due to a skimpy number of vacation days (and no vacation days at all when I was a contract employee), I haven't been able to attend a live NARCON. Now, I'd really like to attend a live event, especially if it is held in the northeast or midwest.

Sure, there were technical problems, but I am grateful to NAR leadership for putting on this virtual event. It was a learning experience for all involved (including me... I found out the hard way that I needed to use a browser other than Firefox to see and hear the videos).

My only regret is that I wasn't able to view the manufacturers forum live. I would have loved to ask Bill Stine about the Orbital Transport that they are working on it. Last year, eRockets said that they were working on an OT upscale (but I couldn't quite figure out the size). Is eRockets still working on this, or did they let Estes run with it. If both Estes and eRockets are going ahead with OT models, will they be different in size or design?

This has been my first NARCON, and the virtual format has been a blessing. Due to a skimpy number of vacation days (and no vacation days at all when I was a contract employee), I haven't been able to attend a live NARCON. Now, I'd really like to attend a live event, especially if it is held in the northeast or midwest.

Sure, there were technical problems, but I am grateful to NAR leadership for putting on this virtual event. It was a learning experience for all involved (including me... I found out the hard way that I needed to use a browser other than Firefox to see and hear the videos).

My only regret is that I wasn't able to view the manufacturers forum live. I would have loved to ask Bill Stine about the Orbital Transport that they are working on it. Last year, eRockets said that they were working on an OT upscale (but I couldn't quite figure out the size). Is eRockets still working on this, or did they let Estes run with it. If both Estes and eRockets are going ahead with OT models, will they be different in size or design?
Bill didn’t specifically say what size the bring back Estes OT will be but probably inline with the Mars Snooper - going from BT-50 tubing to BT-55 - that would give us a nicely sized rocket, roughly 30” long and probably 24mm powered (again, like the upcoming Snooper) without ending up with an overweight rocket that could only fly on a couple motors.

I’d guess that between the pandemic and Randy’s health it’s going to be awhile before eRockets does anything with their upsized OT though I did see the improved Semroc OT is now in stock on the website.

Estes has ... future C5-0 and development of higher thrust motors!

Can you remember what exactly was said about Estes' development of higher thrust motors?

Return of the B14? Or perhaps a higher thrust D motor?

Not Zoom, but some proprietary Accelevents video streaming service that runs as a browser plugin.
Video quality is variable, but mostly good enough.

Single person presentation, like Steve Jurvetson's keynote, also came through with a tiny weird PIP format, but the content was great. So was Jim Jarvis's 15K talk, and many others.
Jurvetson's talk is alone worth the price of admission.

The three individual sessions I watched and three other sessions I sampled all came through in very clean full screen, video wise. Sound was mostly great, but with an occasional weird doppler-like short squeal fadeout and and immediate recovery.

There were buttons to get in and out of the PIP thing.

Even with the fairly minor technical glitches, it was a great and well done event!

Can you remember what exactly was said about Estes' development of higher thrust motors?

Return of the B14? Or perhaps a higher thrust D motor?
The C5-0 release was announced for late this year/early next year. Otherwise, Bill hinted about future releases of some kind of different/higher powered motors but wouldn’t give any specific information.

During the Estes manufacturer’s forum segment Bill mentioned to watch for what model he dropped during the video tour - the dropped model was...Nike-Hercules! Looked like a fairly small scale, maybe even 13mm powered but the view was really quick.

During the Estes manufacturer’s forum segment Bill mentioned to watch for what model he dropped during the video tour - the dropped model was...Nike-Hercules! Looked like a fairly small scale, maybe even 13mm powered but the view was really quick.

Yep, pretty, but almost too small:
new Nike-Herc Estes model.jpg

It sounds like the future licensed SpaceX and Blue Origin rockets from Estes will be part of the 1/200 RTF line like the Saturn V and SLS. I can see that - those are dual purpose flyable/display models.

The attendance for this virtual NARCON was 537 versus about 100 to 200 for a typical live NARCON. Sounds like a real success and good advertisement for NAR.

Virtual conferences (NARCON, CES, etc.) definitely rule.

Not only can people with time constraints and family/life obligations still attend, but one can go back and view all concurrently held break-out sessions and not miss something interesting! It's always a nightmare to prioritize which of the break-out sessions one must miss at major conferences.
And then, if you forgot something cool, you can go back and re-stream the video feed of the presentation and refresh your memory!

a

P.S.: There are also definite downsides - lack of socialization and personal relationship building are the obvious limitations.
P.P.S.: Perhaps, once the pandemic is under control, we can combine the best of both worlds and video stream all the future in-person conferences!?

Last edited:
Back