NARCON 2010 Official Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an utterly awesome time at NARCON. I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Bill Spad and all the CMASS folks for running it. I attended four great talks and came back with a ton of loot.

We'd like to put some photos up on the NARCON website until we turn it over to whoever is running it next year. If you have pictures and/or video I'd appreciate it if you could get them to me.

MarkII, Jim Flis, and Tony Vincent. Is it okay if we use what you've posted on TRF?
Yes.

Mark Kulka

Wait a minute... which one is Bill?

Here's another photo I took, just as the launch event was getting underway.

MarkII

DSCF1180.jpg

Looks like the parts came from a plumbing store..:w:

They did. And I thought I was the first guy to build rocket launchers out of plumbing parts. After examining his work I think I can safely say that I'm a better plumber than he was.

This is my favorite item from the Goddard display in the library. It's a little hard to see because it was taken through the glass case. It's a turboprop done the hard way. The two propellers have turbine blades on a rim around their tips. There's a rocket engine between them that's firing at the blades. The sign says it flew.

planesmall.jpg

I also felt that CMASS did a fantastic job.
The signage around campus was great, as was the program booklet.
The presentations were very well done.

Weather not-withstanding, I had enough energy, and plenty of enhthusiasm to take a drive after the dinner talk out for a night launch in the area if that had been an option.

It would be tough to pull off, but some of the NARCON talks would make great demonstrations if there was a nearby flying field or demo area - for example it would be great to see a talk about motor types available and then see a live demo-firing of some engines on a test stand (outdoors), or a demo of Nevada Dave's "homing-truck" or a demo launch opportunity for any vendors with a new rocket or motor.... maybe this could be an optional activity friday evening or sunday afternoon.

That said, if Narcon 2011 were billed as being only half as good as 2010, It'd be worth every penny!

(look closely near the top of the attached picture to see the Fliskit Nell soaring over the water soaked crowd)

IMG00210.jpg

Last edited:
I also felt that CMASS did a fantastic job.
The signage around campus was great, as was the program booklet.
The presentations were very well done.

Alan Swanson, our sign guy, did a thorough job. I got a laugh when I got in the freight elevator and found that he had put labels on the buttons.

The program booklet was Ed Pattison-Gordon. We kept changing the program schedule about a week past the end of the absolute deadline. The email debate about black and white or color went right to the wire.

Weather not-withstanding, I had enough energy, and plenty of enhthusiasm to take a drive after the dinner talk out for a night launch in the area if that had been an option.

I think the staff might have been a little low on energy at that point.

It would be tough to pull off, but some of the NARCON talks would make great demonstrations if there was a nearby flying field or demo area - for example it would be great to see a talk about motor types available and then see a live demo-firing of some engines on a test stand (outdoors), or a demo of Nevada Dave's "homing-truck" or a demo launch opportunity for any vendors with a new rocket or motor.... maybe this could be an optional activity friday evening or sunday afternoon.

I think the demos would depend on the location. I really wanted to fire a motor as part of the S & T presentation but, given the location, I didn't want to draw attention to what we were doing. Times have changed since Goddard fired his motors in the physics building. I even have the equipment to fire anything up to an A or B inside without setting off the smoke detectors (tested in my house) but I chickened out.
That said, if Narcon 2011 were billed as being only half as good as 2010, It'd be worth every penny!

(look closely near the top of the attached picture to see the Fliskit Nell soaring over the water soaked crowd)

Can we use the photo in the NARCON website gallery?

Great pic!!!

OK, who can pick themselves out in that flight line? :D

BTW, I can't decide if the weather was actually as bad as it looks there. I don't remember it being quite that dark at the time, but then, I was a bit closer to the action. And the hypothermia might have started setting in by then.

Also, Nell went quite a bit higher than I thought!

Mark K.

Does anybody else have pictures? We put up a gallery of what we have. If you have some I'd appreciate it if you could send them to me.

Latest posts

Back