NARCON 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the latest folks? A little over a month away and am beginning to wondered whose registered / attending or not?

Made my flight reservations last week for a whopping $139 ($59 each way) rountrip. Yeaahaw! That's pretty darn cheap!

1) Still would like to set up a dinner both on Friday or Saturday night and,

2) How long would it take me to drive through all N.E. states (e.g. CT, RI, MA, VT, NY, ME)? I've never been up in that region and need to add some states to my list of traveling ventures.

3) Is there a list of must-do hobby shops in the area (rocketry, r/c airplanes, plastic models, etc.)?

So what's the latest folks? A little over a month away and am beginning to wondered whose registered / attending or not?

Made my flight reservations last week for a whopping $139 ($59 each way) rountrip. Yeaahaw! That's pretty darn cheap!

2) How long would it take me to drive through all N.E. states (e.g. CT, RI, MA, VT, NY, ME)? I've never been up in that region and need to add some states to my list of traveling ventures.

3) Is there a list of must-do hobby shops in the area (rocketry, r/c airplanes, plastic models, etc.)?

um, 'bout yer list of states... No NY in New England and you missed NH... :D

An update from this end of the convention:
  • Instructions, package art and fin patterns for the Nantucket Sound are complete and in proof reading
  • Will be flying with CATO this weekend to see if I can add the E motor to the list of recommended motors
  • Range Box sticker design is complete
  • Material orders for Nantucket Sound will begin this week
  • Tiddlywink (1/8A HD bird) instructions are done first pass.
  • Tiddlywink docs will go out for proofing after 2 pass re-write

There are a couple of other kits that we are hoping to have out for NARCON, so keep watch.

I will be coordinating with Al how we are going to be giving out the free Nantucket Sound kits. Watch for an announcement shortly.

We're up for a TRF dinner. Keep us posted on plans :)

jim

um, 'bout yer list of states... No NY in New England and you missed NH... :D

An update from this end of the convention:
  • Will be flying with CATO this weekend to see if I can add the E motor to the list of recommended motors

I'm bringing a can of nose weight and an Ellis G38....

You're right Jim about NH (please accept my apologies) and I've been to NY. Just haven't done the rest.

Boston is about two hours from where NARCON is being held. You can hit NH and the southern most part of Maine driving a couple of hours north from Boston. I'm sure you could drive through a portion of all six states in a long day if you didn't bother to stop. If you want to see the sights you could easily spend a day in all of the states.

um, 'bout yer list of states... No NY in New England and you missed NH... :D=

But if you're in the area, NYC would be a more interesting visit than NH, (not that there is anything wrong with NH....) .

Having lived here almost all of my life, I can help you out here.

1. That sounds good. I'm sure we can take over a restaurant somewhere.

2. Well, you can "technically" do it in 1 day. From where the con is, you can get across Mass in 2 hours, cut across the corners of Vermont and New Hampshire, clip the corner of Maine, and come back down through Boston and down to Rhode Island. Of course, you're going to miss a whole ton of stuff. It would be better to take several days. If you get a chance, I definitely recommend Mystic Seaport in Mystic, CT. They have a number of tall ships, including the Charles W. Morgan, which is currently being renovated.

3. The only one I know of is Time Machine in Manchester, CT. Their site is https://www.timemachinehobby.com/. Rocketry wise, not the greatest, but as a general hobby store, its pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses.

Now, the question is, is this going to be a smaller NARCON attendance wise?

But if you're in the area, NYC would be a more interesting visit

Things I liked about NYC.

Great food!

Great theater.

Amazing architecture.

Things I didn't like about NYC.

Rude people (everywhere).

Prices (best $8 bagel on the planet, no cream cheese at that price BTW).

Un-Godly traffic.

Thanks for the responses.

Now, the question is, is this going to be a smaller NARCON attendance wise?

At this moment, we are around 40folks and gaining 1-2 a day.

I am fondly hoping for 60-80. I originally hoped for more, however I'm getting the feeling that the economy is hurting things.

So come on folks register for NARCON. There is a bunch of great sessions and you will get to hang with some of the NE folks that don't get far away.

But if you're in the area, NYC would be a more interesting visit than NH, (not that there is anything wrong with NH....) .

.....hhhmmmm perhaps...

I've been to NYC many times. Never really enjoyed it all that much (big cities are not my thing...) My best visit was to see the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall.

The last time I went there was to visit with a nephew who was there on a school trip. We spent a few hours in the city. We saw NOTHING. we did NOTHING and it cost over $250....

Last spring I went on a picnic with Kathy DEEP into the forests of NH. Spent the day hiking, playing games and fishing. Cost $1.49 for the worms and about $10 for lunch...

To give you an idea of what *I* enjoy, my favorite song lyric is from the Dixie Chicks "I want to look out at the horizon and not see a building standing tall"... :)

jim

At last count only 40 people registered for NARCON, I guess the economy is hitting everyone real hard.

Anyone else showing up, or on the fence?

I'm sure they are. I'm kinda figuring a whole bunch of last minute registrations. Probably some at the door too.

Is Semroc still planning on attending? I don't see them on the list of vendors and haven't seen them post in a while.

I'm sure they are. I'm kinda figuring a whole bunch of last minute registrations. Probably some at the door too.

I should have taken a count at our club meeting last night but of the 7 people there 2 of them specifically said they were going but hadn't gotten around to registering. Some of the others have registered (I did) but I didn't think to ask if any of them weren't going. I'm sure you're right about expecting a surge at the last minute.

Is Semroc still planning on attending? I don't see them on the list of vendors and haven't seen them post in a while.

I talked to Carl the other day and they are planning on attending. They are looking for a hotel that will take pets at this time and believe they found one about 5 miles from the event.

jim

They are looking for a hotel that will take pets

That's funny, whenever we go on a trip my wife always does the same thing. She always asks them if they take hairy creatures, and the dogs have ever yet to come.

That's funny, whenever we go on a trip my wife always does the same thing. She always asks them if they take hairy creatures, and the dogs have ever yet to come.

LOL Better not let Kathy read this or it'll give her ideas :)

=================================

I have yet to communicate this to Al, but wanted to get this posted asap. I will post this in other forums and send a note off to Al as well.

FlisKits will be offering the following at NARCON to NARCON attendees:
  • Complimentary Nantucket Sound to the first 50 registered guests
  • An additional 50 will be available at 50% below retail exclusively for guests who didn't qualify for a complimentary one.
  • We will have additoinal kits available at (or slightly below) retail for anyone who wants an extra
  • We will also have drawings for about 5 of the new Tiddlywink kits (1/8A HD bird)
  • A drawing for 5 or so of another micro to the maxx kit, the Dead Ringer (futuristic kit)
  • There will also be a NARCON 2009 Range Box sticker in the registration packet, from FlisKits.
  • Possibly more goodies... Depends on how many folks register. The more registered guests, the larger the prize pool can become :) so sign up and get your friends to sign up!

Register early, register often!

Be sure to stop by our booth to say hi and check out what's coming down the line!

jim

LOL Better not let Kathy read this or it'll give her ideas :)

=================================

I have yet to communicate this to Al, but wanted to get this posted asap. I will post this in other forums and send a note off to Al as well.

FlisKits will be offering the following at NARCON to NARCON attendees:
  • Complimentary Nantucket Sound to the first 50 registered guests
  • An additional 50 will be available at 50% below retail exclusively for guests who didn't qualify for a complimentary one.
  • We will have additoinal kits available at (or slightly below) retail for anyone who wants an extra
  • We will also have drawings for about 5 of the new Tiddlywink kits (1/8A HD bird)
  • A drawing for 5 or so of another micro to the maxx kit, the Dead Ringer (futuristic kit)
  • There will also be a NARCON 2009 Range Box sticker in the registration packet, from FlisKits.
  • Possibly more goodies... Depends on how many folks register. The more registered guests, the larger the prize pool can become :) so sign up and get your friends to sign up!

Register early, register often!

Be sure to stop by our booth to say hi and check out what's coming down the line!

jim

Staff get one? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Just kidding. I'll be in line to buy mine.

I tried to register but when I hit the submit button, I got the 404 page.

You're right Jim about NH (please accept my apologies) and I've been to NY. Just haven't done the rest.
You are very welcome to come visit the absolutely best part of NY, the area north of Albany (waaaay north of there) and west of Lake Champlain... :D

No, we are not part of New England, and that's something that we are quite proud of... :p

MarkII

Well, I'd sure LIKE to come (what a great opportunity!), but you are right about the economy thing. No need to go into details, but talking on the web is just about the only rocketry activity that I can afford to do right now. (And thank God for that! It's the only thing that's keeping me at least somewhat sane. :rolleyes: ) The situation may improve ever so slightly next month, and if so, maybe I'll be able to make it down to there. But it's very much in wait and see mode right now. My planning horizon is about 1 or 2 days at a time.

MarkII

Is there going to be anything happening, besides the Level 2 exam, beyond 10:00am on Sunday? Any other seminars or happenings?

You are very welcome to come visit the absolutely best part of NY, the area north of Albany (waaaay north of there) and west of Lake Champlain... :D

No, we are not part of New England, and that's something that we are quite proud of... :p

MarkII

Adirondack State Park? Born and raised in Schenectady and summered in Scroon Lank :) Love it. My sister has a cabin up there right on the lake. My mom's side of the family were one of the founding fathers.

Frankly, I love most everything about the north east. Just keep me outta the cities :)

2. Well, you can "technically" do it in 1 day. From where the con is, you can get across Mass in 2 hours, cut across the corners of Vermont and New Hampshire, clip the corner of Maine, and come back down through Boston and down to Rhode Island. Of course, you're going to miss a whole ton of stuff.
Rather off-topic, but that's pretty much how I added Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico to my personal list of states visited. I was in southern Colorado, so I drove down/over to the Four Corners Monument and stepped on the very corners of the other three states. So I've been in those states, but I haven't seen anything in them except for the very immediate Four Corners area.

Is there going to be anything happening, besides the Level 2 exam, beyond 10:00am on Sunday? Any other seminars or happenings?

Let me open the file for the event program...

No, just the Farewell Address.

Please remember, in keeping with the Education theme, we are using a High School for the event. So we have some serious time constraints.

.....hhhmmmm perhaps...

I've been to NYC many times. Never really enjoyed it all that much (big cities are not my thing...) My best visit was to see the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall.

The last time I went there was to visit with a nephew who was there on a school trip. We spent a few hours in the city. We saw NOTHING. we did NOTHING and it cost over $250....

Last spring I went on a picnic with Kathy DEEP into the forests of NH. Spent the day hiking, playing games and fishing. Cost $1.49 for the worms and about $10 for lunch...

To give you an idea of what *I* enjoy, my favorite song lyric is from the Dixie Chicks "I want to look out at the horizon and not see a building standing tall"... :)

jim

I said NYC may be more interesting, not necessarily better.:)

Back