NARCON 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really sharp Jim. It's probably the first time that a NARCON logo has the correct CG/CG relationship. You'll probably be 'swamped' with orders :)

Well, since the information has made it to the NARCON web site, I figure I would post it here as well :)

Get ready for the NARCON 2009 commemorative kit from FlisKits, the Nantucket Sound :D

24mm, 12.7" tall, about 5.2" wide at the base.

NARCON versions (planned anyway) will come with pre-colored body wraps to make finishing a breeze. The production version will include a link to downloads.

Have fun and be sure to register early!

jim

Ok, SOMEONE in CATO owes me money now.

I said Jim would make a lighthouse rocket as a kit. Now someone needs to pay up.

I just can't remember who. Ah, I'll just blame Al.

Jim that lighthouse rocket is amazing!!! If it is ever available for people that can't make it to NARCON, I will definitely be buying one!!

Oh, it'll go into our regular production and I will have a slew of them at the event for sale, so not to worry :)

It *is* a kewl little rocket. I hope to have the working proto done early next week with (hopefully) the first flight the following week.

(yeah, blame Al for whatever someone needs to be blamed for... :) )

Jim, that's most excellent!!!

For NARCON quantities, remember what happened to Carl and the Golden Scout at the last NARCON - sold out in 20 minutes.

Hey, before I forget, two things about NARCON; one for 2009 and one for 2008.

1) Can we have a raffle strictly for 42 year old shorter, portugese, men from Missouri? :D At least then I just might have a chance to finally win something. Of course, knowing my luck, there's going to be another five guys who fit that category that'll show up.

&

2) What ever happened to the student-teacher who won Sheri's kit at NARCON 2008 up in Rochester? Did he ever build and fly it with MASA? I still am envious of that guy. Shows up to his first rocket event and walks away with a $400 kit.

Hey, before I forget, two things about NARCON; one for 2009 and one for 2008.

2) What ever happened to the student-teacher who won Sheri's kit at NARCON 2008 up in Rochester? Did he ever build and fly it with MASA? I still am envious of that guy. Shows up to his first rocket event and walks away with a $400 kit.

He's still incredibly thrilled that he won the grand prize!! :D

He chose Sheri's Saturn 1B kit for his prize, but he hasn't started it yet. I got to see the kit a few months ago, when I showed him the Semroc Saturn 1B that I built (was building, at the time) for the Apollo 7 40th Anniversary Celebration. It's an amazing kit and he's excited about building it, but he's been really busy.

He's not an inexperienced rocketeer, but it's not his main hobby. He develops and manages STEM programs for teachers and inner-city youth in Mpls and St. Paul. His programs include everything from rocketry to electricity to robotics and more.

His rocketry program has probably reached nearly 1000 kids over the last few years. He and his wife run the Coalwood to the Cape program (C2C), and they've brought about 70 teachers to the October Sky Festival and Cape Canaveral/KSC over the last 5 years as part of the C2C program. They presented a C2C overview at NARCON 2008, and I wrote an article about the program for the July/August 2008 issue of Sport Rocketry.

Now back to this year's NARCON... :)

Carol

love the lighthouse. a strobe would look great on it. whats the cost gonna be.

Trying to keep the cost under $20. Right now I am looking at $19.95 but hope to be able to knock a couple bucks off of that. I will know once I get the pricing on the various custom parts (shroud, rings (large), wood ball, dowels, etc)

jim

That's really sharp Jim. It's probably the first time that a NARCON logo has the correct CG/CG relationship.

Ahem.... :)

mainpagelogo.png

You'll probably be 'swamped' with orders :)

True that!

I'm game. Where's Bob Cox BTW?

Living in Rochester, practically walking distance from NARCON 2007/8, so I'd bet he doesn't make this one. TSA tends to frown on a security cadre of flying monkeys.

Besides, with the new FAA waiver process about to go into effect, he's probably busy working on the Saturn he won in 2007. Not having to file an LMR has eliminated his last excuse for procrastinating.

--Chan Stevens

While we're discussing NARCON 2009, I need some info.

I'm doing the program for the event. What I would like is for the seminar presenters to send me a 3-4 sentence blurb on your topic, and one on yourself, please.

Either via PM or to [email protected]

Thanks!

Bob

Well, two flights of the proto type and we have us a new kit coming :)

Our first flight, on a C11-3, resulted in an unstable flight. This was pretty much expected for the first flight. I had changed the design from a balsa nose cone (very tip of the rocket) to a paper cone. I did this for 2 reasons:
  1. Reduce cost
  2. Have a place for nose weight, if needed

Well, nose weight was needed (more than the weight of a balsa cone). So, with minimum damage, I popped the nose cone apart and stuck in an ounce of clay, repaired what little damage there was from the first flight (broken fin) and preped her again.

Perfect boost to about 400 feet on the C11-3. The delay was a bit long, but not much can be done with that. I am hoping to attend the Feb launch at CATO to fly a new proto with an E9-4. Right now I am planning on allowing only short 24mm motors unless I can get an E flight in

I will have to build another proto as this one only has a short motor tube and I don't want to fly this with the E motor sticking out the back an inch...

All and all, a good day of flight testing (we got a perfect boost and recovery on our new Tiddlywink too :D )

jim

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02162.JPG

I bet a couple beta testers could get some extra test flights in... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge):)

The way our winter is going, you might have to target folks in warmer climates. NSL will be long over before the glaciers melt...:D

Right now I am planning on allowing only short 24mm motors unless I can get an E flight in
jim

I'm planning on strapping one to a 54-2550 case and see what happens.

BTW, the 54mm version is coming along. All I need is some info from Jim on fin geometry to finish it. Wonder if he reads his e-mail ever...

Jim, you bring that thing down and I'll give you the Aerotech reloads for it, as well as using my case. How about a D24-4 or an E11-3? I bet that thing would look awesome flying with a Black Jack.

Bob

A foot of wet snow and ice should be as good as Nomex...

...ain't nothin' catching fire on the launch ranges around here.

Depends - Can I launch a Skid and you consider the snow pack good enough to protect the ground underneath?

:p

That's probably the only time I wouldn't have any worries about firing one of those. You might be able to set dirt on fire with one but there's no way snow is going to burn.

That's obviously why Jim went with the paper nosecone. It looks like there might be enough room for a small motor in there.

Oh, there's no question that someone is going to wire this thing up for lights and motors on the top. :) I won't do the kit that way (would add too much cost and complexity), but it would be a great modification fer sure!

jim

Back