Narcon 2008

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip Barber

Reaction score
The NAR is pleased to announce that the NAR Convention for 2008 (NARCON
2008) has been awarded to MASA Section, to be held at the Kahler Grand
Hotel in Rochester, Minnesota over the weekend of March 14-16, 2008.
This is the same host section and site that did such a good job with
NARCON 2007. The event website is www.narcon2008.org. Event director
is Carol Marple, [email protected], (763)427-0150. Details
of the agenda, speakers, and other activities will be posted on the
event website as they are finalized.

Trip Barber
NAR 4322
NAR National Events Committee Chairman

Congratulations to MASA and Tripoli Minnesota.
I'll be there in March.
NARCON is going to be a lot of fun and you can't find a better hotel to host it.
Great job,
Scott G.

Thanks for the kind words.

Give us just a few days, and we'll have more details up on the web site. Tripoli Southern Minnesota is a cosponsor again this year, and we're making inquiries about once again having a launch associated with the event.

Cheers,

--tc

Let me know who to contact again to schedule a presentation.
Team Ridiculous might have a cool one for you this time.
Scott

Okay, I'm there this year and promise not to do anything too physical prior to NARCON (like blowing out my other knee).

I should also mention that we've created an informational email list for NARCON 2008 through Yahoo Groups.

"Exchange information and ask questions about the NARCON 2008 model/sport rocketry convention (March 14-16, 2008, Rochester, Minnesota). Attendees, vendors, staff, interested parties, etc are all welcome to join!"

To join it, go to
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/NARCON_2008_Info/

or send an email to
[email protected]

Alan

I was hoping you'd give me a ride. :p

Woo-hoo! I did manage to score the cheapest frequent flyer freebie tickets Delta offers, so looks like the majority of the cost/hassle is accounted for. I should have a couple freebie weekend car rentals stashed somewhere, too. Now if I can figure out how to score the hotel on points, that will allow me to simply deposit my wallet at the vendor check-in table, and enjoy a weekend of pure geekery.

Better start drilling those evil monkey minions, Bob, as your lair could be under siege that weekend.

--Chan Stevens

Regarding airfares, it may be cheaper to fly to Rochester via the Minneapolis (MSP) airport than it is to fly to MSP. There are also direct flights from a couple of other cities to Rochester. Renting a car shouldn't be necessary, unless you want to make a run to the Mall of America.

--tc

Regarding airfares, it may be cheaper to fly to Rochester via the Minneapolis (MSP) airport than it is to fly to MSP. There are also direct flights from a couple of other cities to Rochester. Renting a car shouldn't be necessary, unless you want to make a run to the Mall of America.

--tc

Probably true for Northwest, which uses MSP as a hub. In my case, though, all my ff miles are through Delta, and I live in one of their hub cities. They don't offer squat to Rochester that has attractive schedules/prices.

Man, I'd love it if Southwest, Jetblue or anybody even remotely low priced would come into Cincinnati and shake up fares a bit.

Chan... I am glad you will be able to make it back to NARCON in 2008. I look forward to finally meeting you and chatting with you about my Semroc Saturn 1B build! You should really consider doing a presentation on rocket building at NARCON - I am sure it would be well received, and you do exceptional work!!!

See you there!

Chan... I am glad you will be able to make it back to NARCON in 2008. I look forward to finally meeting you and chatting with you about my Semroc Saturn 1B build! You should really consider doing a presentation on rocket building at NARCON - I am sure it would be well received, and you do exceptional work!!!

See you there!

:eek:

Last year was my first NARCON, and I only wound up going because I was working on an assignment in Minneapolis, so coaxed the client into covering my hotel/car over the weekend in return for saving them one of the weekly flights. Very last minute, too, as the project was a mess at the time. Very glad I went--I expected it to be dry/boring, but wound up having a great time.

This year, I've got the luxury of being able to lock it down in advance--over 500k miles in the account, all sorts of accumulated points/freebies.

I'm not sure anyone would want to listen to me ramble on about building tricks/techniques, as I haven't "invented" anything and pretty much steal ideas posted around here, but I might offer up something like time-efficient techniques (I build about 60-75 models/year), working with paper models, or now that Fliskits is pushing the market, a session on Micromax rocketry. Our club held a contest last weekend that included a micromax event, and that wound up giving everyone more trouble than tougher stuff like C-dual egg duration and E-helicopter. I think some general education on building and flying tiny stuff might be an open niche...

--Chan Stevens

I saw that TRF members should identify themselves be wearing something; a lapel pin, red ribbon, share our heads, etc. just something to identify ourselves to each other.

At NSL this year, I ended up missing people (who I was literally standing next to) because there was no way to identify TRF members.

Let me see what I can come up with.

I saw that TRF members should identify themselves be wearing something; a lapel pin, red ribbon, share our heads, etc. just something to identify ourselves to each other..

I like the shaving head idea, not that I'll participate in it :)

How about wearing a parachute as a hat? Everyone would know you as the goofy TRF crowd!

For a serious suggestion, at hamfests (ham radio flea markets) lots of people wear name badges with their callsign on them. So why not rip off the TRF logo [or ask permission] and put your alias on it? Someone creative could even write a program with a web form to generate a printable nametag.

I am glad that everyone had a good time at Narcon 2007 in Rochester, MN! It was my 1st Narcon convention and 1st time helping host it with our club. There were a lot of good seminars. Wish I could have gone to all of them! Lots of opportunities to learn.
We had a beautiful day to fly at our club's (www.tsmrockets.com) launch site "Maple Island" on that Saturday. In fact we had a hard time getting a few rockets to come down!! Let us say, "Thermals"?! First time I have ever seen a rocket under chute climb in altitude! A few people made it out for the launch but I would have liked to seen more. I also understand the distance to the launch site played a big factor in that.
We had lots of good press coverage too. Hopefully we will be able to repeat that too!
Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
Thanks!

Dennis Blank TRA10932
aka Green Arrow

Thanks Jim for posting that. So will the TRF nametag replace the NARCON one?

mmm... that would be handy. If that's accepted by Those In Charge, then I could just wear a TRF nametag and not pay the NARCON entry fee.

Glen (they know me, so it probably wouldn't work) Overby

Early Registration for NARCON 2008 ends just over ten short weeks from now!

We're looking forward to hosting the first event of NAR's 50th anniversary year, and we'd love to have you join us.

Our honored guests will be Vern and Gleda Estes, and there will be a wide variety of talks, panel discussions, workshops, and open forums.

On-line registration is open, as is merchandise ordering.

https://www.narcon2008.org/index.htm

Cheers,

--tc

Well, I'm a comin' folks . . .

Seems as if my 'ole knee is actually making it happen. I won't be attend to attend my other Master's program because I'm having a partial knee replacement, which will prevent me from attending class - which knocks me out. But, finishes up in time to allow me to attend NARCON 50.

Oh yea, oh yea, oh yea . . . by the end of NARCON 2008, the locals in Rochester will be singing folks songs and telling legends about me.

Okay, now that it's out . . . I just need to tell my wife that I'm coming.

NARCON 2008 is now LESS than 3 months away!
(As we Minnesotans of Norwegian heritage say - "Uffda!")

We're busy lining up vendors, great presenters, and door prizes (yay!) You can register online or by snail mail. Either way, don't forget to order your t-shirt or sweatshirt!

https://www.narcon2008.org/

We also now have a link on the hotel page so that you can make your room reservation online and get the special discounted rate.

https://www.narcon2008.org/location_info/hotel.htm

Alan

Back