NARAM updates?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are data from a handful of flights posted on the FlightSketch online log including E Payload Altitude record attempts by Bob and Becky Zurek. But that’s all I’ve seen besides the discussion about ”no sport range at NARAM-64” both here and over on YORF, and a little bit about the Manufacturers forum the other night. But this really isn’t the place much NARAM news tends to show up anyway.

There are data from a handful of flights posted on the FlightSketch online log including E Payload Altitude record attempts by Bob and Becky Zurek. But that’s all I’ve seen besides the discussion about ”no sport range at NARAM-64” both here and over on YORF, and a little bit about the Manufacturers forum the other night. But this really isn’t the place much NARAM news tends to show up anyway.
You are absolutely correct sir.

But unfortunately, even the National Contest Chair used this forum for a survey last week. NAR NEEDS A FORUM.

The reason that the Town Hall was such a farce is that, of course, the President, nor the Vice President, were present. There was no Board quorum at NARAM 63. As much as I admire Lynn, her presentation was marred by the fact that she did not set her watch back to central time, so she really plowed through the slide show. In fact, she went so fast I could not really read it all. Major events coming up were flashed and then she looked at her watch and pushed on. Such items a "STRONGER PUSH TOWARD HIGH POWER" were simply a statement on the slide and then gone. The slide show mentioned that NARAM 64 would not have a Sport Range and would be 5 days. The fact that John H confirmed with me on email that there would be NO BOARD MEETINGS going forward was only stated after I brought it up. The 37 people present bemoaned the low NARAM attendance but had no figures. I do have figures; I gave them to Ed LaCroix three years ago. We have flat-lined at 163 attendees for three years. We have flat-lined at 40-60 actual NRC contestants for three years. Lynn then looked at her watch and said we were out of time. Yes, she did offer to open questions after our discussion about Sport Range, but the miasma hanging over the room was do dismal, so was evident of lack of support for the NAR that the 37 people simply folded. I did too. I saw no point in bringing up anything when it was apparent the Board had better things to do. Why go to NARAM 63 when you "REPRESENT THE NAR AT THE INTERNATIONAL TARC?" - John H. If it was so damned important that we lost five Board Members, maybe we should have moved our date.

When I gave Ed my 21-point critique of the NARAMS three years ago, he basically said, "Gee 21! That is a lot Are you kidding?" I had asked for a dialogue. But did not get one. I do not know if it would have mattered. The same 21 key issues keep cropping up over and over again. NARAM 63 was a golden prime example. Parking, Signs, Bathrooms, Garbage, RED PHONE WALKIE TALKIES, FAI Pomposity, The Canon Auction, The very Idea of a "Welcome to the NARAM" by the CD.... But when I suggested to the Board that some guidelines be set up John H told me that, "We do not want to constrain the CDs with steadfast rules and regulations." The result is that new CDs have to re-invent the wheel every single time a national event is held. Old hat CDs might get away with it, but newbies flounder. No oversight. No structure. No Guide. Trip Barber's masterwork "HOW TO RUN A NATIONNAL EVENT" was deliberately suppressed the moment NRC began. I begged to have it enshrined, I begged to update it. The Board said NO.

So now Dan Wolf has used this forum to as the big HP Questions. NONE OF WHICH WERE PRESENTED AT THE TOWN HALL MEETTING...........

I will offer my olive branch and pledge to help.....
I will run for the board next time. My 2nd time..
Matt Johnson
NAR 86960

There will be a pull-down bar that will give results for different events. I don't see anything yet for Sport Scale.
https://www.nar.org/site/naram-63/us-team-flyoff-north-coast-cup/
Scale is usually flown on Friday, so the results are being (or just have been) decided as I type this.

Matt's post just above would fit better in that other thread where there has been discussion about sport ranges and NARAM in the future. What he writes is truly disheartening and I'm going to have to think about it quite a bit more before I say anything.

Last edited:
Matt's post just above ... is truly disheartening and I'm going to have to think about it quite a bit more before I say anything.
Matt's second post to TRF is a rambling reference to a 21-point critique no one has seen... I'd give it more credence if there was anything in there other than some snide remarks and vague demands. So the Town Hall meeting didn't go the way he liked - life just seems so unfair sometimes. 😢 Don't bum out too much, BEC.

Wow. That has to be, assuming accurate, one of the saddest things I've read.
Time for a new BoD. If their lives get in the way, someone, somewhere, of the 8000+ members must be able to help. WHAT? ME? You do NOT want ME!

I'd abolish NARAM. You want one? Hold it yourself. Have a nut.​
As many NSLs a year within reason (say 1 to 4) as we can find clubs to host.​
Ditto with NARCON, you want to host one? We are with you! However no longer a NAR requirement annually.​
Sprocketry? It pays its way and peeps contribute, so mo power to it. I still love it and the editor is a prince!

International competition? Again, have a nut. But we are done with it. It holds the same interest in the membership as NARAM. IOW, like it or not, NAR would no longer have any competition focus of any sort. Take the pink book and start the NACRs. (pronounced NARCS) National Association of Competition Rocketeers. All 60 of you.​

Or screw it, merge with TRA!!!!!!! :) NAR would be focused on Sport Rocketry from 1/8A to P. To finding fields. Talking to land owners. Explaining Insurance. And figuring out abolishing HAZMAT fees and such

So you can see why NO ONE in there right mind would vote for me.

It looks like final results are in including Sport Scale and R&D. The scroll down is in a different format than before, just pick and choose, it is all there.
https://www.nar.org/site/naram-63/contest-range/contest-events/There are no details for something like B-Altitude, like what was the model configuration and was the altitude achieved. I guess we will need to wait until the next issue of Sport Rocketry and even then details may be wanting.

No sport range? That's nearly a deal breaker! And I have a bucket list item to make it to an odd year NARAM before I die. Plus I though that the sport range was more popular than the contest range for the past couple of decades or so.

No sport range? That's nearly a deal breaker! And I have a bucket list item to make it to an odd year NARAM before I die. Plus I though that the sport range was more popular than the contest range for the past couple of decades or so.

They'll still have a sport range at NARAMs, Doug, but maybe not at all future NARAMs. They just removed the requirement that there SHALL be a sport range. The NAR is having trouble getting volunteers to host a NARAM. Removing some of the "must haves" merely makes it easier for people to host a NARAM with limited resources.

Out of the past four NARAMS with an attendance of about 163- 40 to 60 of those were NRC. Si I imagine that 120 people were using the Sport Range- especially on the weekend, as the attendance drops off noticeably by Monday. Thank you for the response.

They'll still have a sport range at NARAMs, Doug, but maybe not at all future NARAMs. They just removed the requirement that there SHALL be a sport range. The NAR is having trouble getting volunteers to host a NARAM. Removing some of the "must haves" merely makes it easier for people to host a NARAM with limited resources.
We have the same issue with RC airplane events. It's like pulling teeth to get people to help and from what I've seen, it takes a few more people to run a rocketry contest than an RC pattern (precision aerobatics) contest.

We have the same issue with RC airplane events. It's like pulling teeth to get people to help and from what I've seen, it takes a few more people to run a rocketry contest than an RC pattern (precision aerobatics) contest.
Is say that the perception is that we can't get people. The truth is we have not asked people. The Electronic rocketeer need to put a banner up that say WE NEED NSL-NARCON-NARAM MANAGER/CD VOLUNTEERS NOW. There need to be a full -age ad in Sport Rocketry explaining the process . We have doubled our membership, but it only the old guard that is even aware of the process to bid and apply for such events, or even the urgent need to do so. We used to have these events planned out years in advance. We need to do so again. It has to be made clear that the act "bidding" is not a dead end, nor that the initial "bid' has to be 100% complete down to the penny. If we get three or four "bids" we may have a winner for next year, but we also just got the winner for the next three years. The HOW TO RUN A NATIONAL EVENT guide must be updated and re-instated in full, complete with the caveat that is it made clear that the NAR will provide the seed money for the event, full laid out in the monetary bids. That means Hotel, tents, tables, chairs, garbage, signage, T shirts, patches, pins, any fees, and advertising.

Is say that the perception is that we can't get people. The truth is we have not asked people. The Electronic rocketeer need to put a banner up that say WE NEED NSL-NARCON-NARAM MANAGER/CD VOLUNTEERS NOW. There need to be a full -age ad in Sport Rocketry explaining the process . We have doubled our membership, but it only the old guard that is even aware of the process to bid and apply for such events, or even the urgent need to do so. We used to have these events planned out years in advance. We need to do so again. It has to be made clear that the act "bidding" is not a dead end, nor that the initial "bid' has to be 100% complete down to the penny. If we get three or four "bids" we may have a winner for next year, but we also just got the winner for the next three years. The HOW TO RUN A NATIONAL EVENT guide must be updated and re-instated in full, complete with the caveat that is it made clear that the NAR will provide the seed money for the event, full laid out in the monetary bids. That means Hotel, tents, tables, chairs, garbage, signage, T shirts, patches, pins, any fees, and advertising.
For RC pattern contests, we use contestant judging. If you fly, you will do your fair share of time in the judges' chair. Maybe the NAR needs to draft some of the help from the pool of registered flyers. No more than a 2 hour shift per event, just enough to help relieve the burden on the host club.

You are absolutely correct sir.

But unfortunately, even the National Contest Chair used this forum for a survey last week. NAR NEEDS A FORUM.

The reason that the Town Hall was such a farce is that, of course, the President, nor the Vice President, were present. There was no Board quorum at NARAM 63. As much as I admire Lynn, her presentation was marred by the fact that she did not set her watch back to central time, so she really plowed through the slide show. In fact, she went so fast I could not really read it all. Major events coming up were flashed and then she looked at her watch and pushed on. Such items a "STRONGER PUSH TOWARD HIGH POWER" were simply a statement on the slide and then gone. The slide show mentioned that NARAM 64 would not have a Sport Range and would be 5 days. The fact that John H confirmed with me on email that there would be NO BOARD MEETINGS going forward was only stated after I brought it up. The 37 people present bemoaned the low NARAM attendance but had no figures. I do have figures; I gave them to Ed LaCroix three years ago. We have flat-lined at 163 attendees for three years. We have flat-lined at 40-60 actual NRC contestants for three years. Lynn then looked at her watch and said we were out of time. Yes, she did offer to open questions after our discussion about Sport Range, but the miasma hanging over the room was do dismal, so was evident of lack of support for the NAR that the 37 people simply folded. I did too. I saw no point in bringing up anything when it was apparent the Board had better things to do. Why go to NARAM 63 when you "REPRESENT THE NAR AT THE INTERNATIONAL TARC?" - John H. If it was so damned important that we lost five Board Members, maybe we should have moved our date.

When I gave Ed my 21-point critique of the NARAMS three years ago, he basically said, "Gee 21! That is a lot Are you kidding?" I had asked for a dialogue. But did not get one. I do not know if it would have mattered. The same 21 key issues keep cropping up over and over again. NARAM 63 was a golden prime example. Parking, Signs, Bathrooms, Garbage, RED PHONE WALKIE TALKIES, FAI Pomposity, The Canon Auction, The very Idea of a "Welcome to the NARAM" by the CD.... But when I suggested to the Board that some guidelines be set up John H told me that, "We do not want to constrain the CDs with steadfast rules and regulations." The result is that new CDs have to re-invent the wheel every single time a national event is held. Old hat CDs might get away with it, but newbies flounder. No oversight. No structure. No Guide. Trip Barber's masterwork "HOW TO RUN A NATIONNAL EVENT" was deliberately suppressed the moment NRC began. I begged to have it enshrined, I begged to update it. The Board said NO.

So now Dan Wolf has used this forum to as the big HP Questions. NONE OF WHICH WERE PRESENTED AT THE TOWN HALL MEETTING...........

I will offer my olive branch and pledge to help.....
I will run for the board next time. My 2nd time..
Matt Johnson
NAR 86960
Hi Matt. Could you share the link to the post I made last week about a survey? I'm not finding one except for the one I did in April 2021 where I posted it in several places to cast as wide a net as possible. Trying to understand what your are referring too. HELP????

Back