NARAM-51

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To get a NARAM-51 thread started:

NARAM-51 website: https://www.psc473.org/naram51/

Near Johnstown, PA. August 8-14, 2009

Sport Flying and US Team FAI Flyoffs on Saturday & Sunday, August 8th and 9th. Plus Night Launch Saturday.

Monday, August 10
1/8A Helicopter Duration
A Streamer Duration

Tuesday, August 11
1/2A Parachute Duration Multiround
Random Altitude

Wednesday, August 12
B Rocket Glide Duration
B Altitude

Thursday, August 13
D Dual Egg Lofting Duration

Friday, August 14
Research and Development
Peanut Sport Scale
Science Fiction and Future Scale

Chris Taylor's NARAMlive.com, archive of the last three NARAMs:

NARAM-50
https://naramlive.com/naramlive-2008/

NARAM-49
https://naramlive.com/naramlive-2007/

NARAM-48
https://naramlive.com/naramlive-2006/

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Do you (or does anyone) have the list of FAI events to be flown in the flyoffs? I tried looking for this online, but the section of the NARAM website this would be on is "Coming Soon," and a Google search of "2010 World Spacemodeling Championships" turned up nothing of interest.

Do you have an approximate cost of camping at any of the recommended spots? There is inexpensive camping on-site, but there is no potable water and if I'm there for a week, I'll much more pleasant to be around if there are showers.:D

There will be an FAI Spacemodeling meeting in Europe in 2-3 months (in March, IIRC), where the 2010 WSMC events might be announced. If not, then the events may not be locked down till the fall.

The question is how many events the FAI will allow to be held at the 2010 WSMC. There used to be no limit, and usually 7 or 8 events were held. But the FAI headquarter types did not like so many FAI medals being handed out for some reason, so they forced a limit of 5 events for the 2008 WSMC. And since Spain did not have any good scale Modelers, chose NOT to hold the S7 Scale or S5 Scale Altitude events, or the S2 Altitude event either. Some countries were upset that Spain did not hold S7 Scale, and held S3 Parachute instead (well, S7 was held, but as a World Cup event, and not a WSMC event). But then the Spanish Junior Team took gold in S3 Parachute, and two Spanish Juniors took the gold and silver individual medals, so that certainly proved their reasons for wanting to hold S3 over S7, S5, or S1.

It seems like for 2010, there may be more events allowed, but it may be something where some events get to have both individual and Team FAI medals, and for other events, only individual medals. The awarding of official FAI medals for Teams is something that only started happening in the last few years....otherwise there would have been a lot more US Fliers who would have offical FAI medals in prevous years (1960's thru 1990's) from when the US Team score was in the top 3 but only unofficial medals were awarded.

If all eight of the WSMC eligible events were held, these are the events that would be flown for Seniors:

altitude models – S1B
parachute duration models – S3A
boost glider duration models – S4A
scale altitude models – S5C
streamer duration models – S6A
scale – S7
rocket glider duration and precision landing models – S8E/P
gyrocopter duration models – S9A

For Juniors same as above except for:
altitude models - S1A
scale altitude models – S5B
rocket glider duration models – S8D

As for the US Team Flyoffs, there will be some information coming out soon. I suggest you join this Yahoogroup:
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/NAR_FAI_Spacemodeling/

If there is no news of actual events to be held at the 2010 WSMC before NARAM, then I expect all 8 events will be held, then everyone would await the official WSMC events to be chosen which could come as late as November. That sort of thing has happened at least once before. Hopefully it will not come to that though, that the events will be known this Spring.

Peartree/John wrote:
>>>>>
Do you have an approximate cost of camping at any of the recommended spots?
<<<<<

I do not know. I am not officially affiliated with NARAM-51. I decided to start a NARAM-51 thread here since nobody else had yet. I suggest going to the NARAM-51 Contacts page and finding the e-mail link for Steve Foster, the CD.

https://www.psc473.org/naram51/contacts.php

- George Gassaway

This is what I heard back...

John,
I haven't been able to find out anything about the onsite camping, I do
expect the prices to remain the same $10 - no hookups / $15 - Electric only
hookups. Mt Trails is currently closed for the season and they haven't
talked about 2009 rates yet.

On the NARAM website www.naram.org we have another campsite listed (Pine
Oaks), this is about 12 miles away and has full hookups electric/water/sewer
for about $25

I don't know how much HP flying you do since you mentioned maybe going to
LDRS, but it appears we are going to have to reduce the motor limit for
NARAM to level 1 flight (up to I motors) due to construction of some
windmills on our site. Depending on the exact construction schedule we may
be able to allow higher powered flight but may not know for sure until about
July. I plan to announce this change soon as I'm trying to find out more
information.

Steve

At this time I am planning to attend NARAM unless something unavoidable (like perhaps scout camp) come up. This will be my first national event (I AM a noob).

Who else is planning to go? It will be fun to meet some of you.

Kathy and I will be there with our FlisKits booth :) We hope to have a very special kit announcement there, so stay tuned!

We will be attending from Friday night's meet-n-greet through the next Friday morning (unfortunately, we're going to miss the banquet yet again... :( ). Friday we have to drive to Middletown, NY to attend the 3-day NERRF launch...

Gonna be one heck of a summer schedule! :)

jim

We will be there since this is only 10 miles from my house. We will be there as a vendor and also range support.

I'll be there if employed, though that's looking grim. We bought out a competitor out of bankruptcy in Canada and I was working up there starting things back up and bringing it back to our plant. Literally less than 2 weeks before bringing it down, HQ decided to move it there instead of my plant, which will almost certainly eliminate my job in another month or two. I've been fortunate in life to have never gone long without a job, but the current market has me thinking I'd better build a war chest up rather than spend big bucks traveling to a rocket contest.

I'll be there if employed, though that's looking grim. We bought out a competitor out of bankruptcy in Canada and I was working up there starting things back up and bringing it back to our plant. Literally less than 2 weeks before bringing it down, HQ decided to move it there instead of my plant, which will almost certainly eliminate my job in another month or two. I've been fortunate in life to have never gone long without a job, but the current market has me thinking I'd better build a war chest up rather than spend big bucks traveling to a rocket contest.

:(I'm really sorry to hear that Chan. Good luck and keep us posted!

Chan,

FWIW we are planning on going and will be camping to do the trip on the cheap. If you can get to Mansfield, you'd be welcome to squeeze in with us. The downside is that our trailer is not enclosed.

I'm going to try to be there. It'll be a bit of a drive, but I'm aiming for this event.

I am planning on going there and participate in one of their events. The plan is to be there for at least two day. Hope to see some of those that I meet at NARAM 50!!!

Good Gordon!

You'll be able to see the X-51 fly - finally! A couple years late, but still going up nonetheless on an SU F motor.

Good Gordon!

You'll be able to see the X-51 fly - finally! A couple years late, but still going up nonetheless on an SU F motor.

LOL! I still have my BT-60 version. I'll bring it too...maybe even paint it first.

I plan of going and bringing our family. We'll probably drive from Illinois and find a close by campground. We camped at NARAM 49 which was just a great idea because we didn't have the daily drive back and forth between the hotel and launch site.

Looks like camping may be a little farther away this time. We have the ability to dry camp by filling up our water storage but that's always a hassle. Plenty of time to figure it out before we get there.

I'm still on the proverbial fence. We live in SE PA so it's not too much of a drive. However, my 19 year old son has been after me to go to an LDRS for years, and this year it's in New York State. I'm thinking this may be the last big rocket road trip that he and I will ever have, and doing both LDRS and NARAM in one year mat be a bit much $$$-wise. We'll see.

I plan of going and bringing our family. We'll probably drive from Illinois and find a close by campground. We camped at NARAM 49 which was just a great idea because we didn't have the daily drive back and forth between the hotel and launch site.

Looks like camping may be a little farther away this time. We have the ability to dry camp by filling up our water storage but that's always a hassle. Plenty of time to figure it out before we get there.

There is camping on-site but it looks like it has no shower facilities. The next campground appears to be only ten miles away but they don't have a website that I've been able to find. I haven't called yet to see if there's an answer this early in the season.

I was on the fence between NARAM and LDRS as well until I realized that LDRS is on a holiday weekend. We like camping, but camping on holiday weekends is completely and totally insane. There are just way too many people and most campgrounds are far too crowded.

There is camping on-site but it looks like it has no shower facilities. The next campground appears to be only ten miles away but they don't have a website that I've been able to find. I haven't called yet to see if there's an answer this early in the season.

I was on the fence between NARAM and LDRS as well until I realized that LDRS is on a holiday weekend. We like camping, but camping on holiday weekends is completely and totally insane. There are just way too many people and most campgrounds are far too crowded.

There is no showers onsite. This is our normal flying field and I only live 10 miles from the site. There is a few places for camping. There is a state park not to far from the site that has camping. There is also a campsite by the dam that has showers. I will get more info and post it later.

If there is one that is nicer than the other, you might consider doing what they did (will do) for NSL and reserve a block of campsites so rocket folk could camp together. I'm sure there will be several of us.

Not a requirement, but if you could pull it off it would be nice.

That would be nice, to be together in a section. I spent some time yesterday looking for campgrounds in the area and they sure are few and far between.

I found the following three that are within 20 miles- Pine Oaks Campground, Pioneer Park Campground, and Hickory Hollow Campground. The aerial view of Pioneer Park looks like it's the most established campground. Pine Oaks look to be nothing more than a few streets scraped out next to an adjacent farm. And Hickory Hollow looks to be in the process of being built in the aerial view. Not sure when the photo was taken however- could be entirely complete by now.

I'm trying to stay within 20 miles if possible.

I'm not a big fan of state parks simply because they can sometimes have too few campers residing there. I don't like leaving the site for the day and not having enough other campers, or security around. Might as well just leave the camper door open!

I'm a little concerned about a lack of a website for the onsite campground. I don't want to camp somewhere with my kids where we are the only ones there. We camped at NARAM 49 and were told there were about a dozen other campers- ended up being 3 of us in the middle of a field with no onsite management whatsoever.

I'm still on the proverbial fence. We live in SE PA so it's not too much of a drive. However, my 19 year old son has been after me to go to an LDRS for years, and this year it's in New York State. I'm thinking this may be the last big rocket road trip that he and I will ever have, and doing both LDRS and NARAM in one year mat be a bit much $$$-wise. We'll see.

If he wants to see some serious rockets fly then LDRS is the way to go. I went to NARAM 50 last year and don't get me wrong it was fun but NARAM is for people who want to push a model to do a certain task. LDRS is about flying ALOT of rockets and HUGE rockets.

He should see atleast 5 O motors and a P or two at LDRS. Maybe a J motor at NARAM if the field is big enough.

Ben

If he wants to see some serious rockets fly then LDRS is the way to go. I went to NARAM 50 last year and don't get me wrong it was fun but NARAM is for people who want to push a model to do a certain task. LDRS is about flying ALOT of rockets and HUGE rockets.

He should see atleast 5 O motors and a P or two at LDRS. Maybe a J motor at NARAM if the field is big enough.

Ben

The field that Naram is at this year can handle a N flight with no problem but I am not sure what they are going to limit it to yet being that they are going to be building windmills on the property this summer, so a lot will depend on how far along they are till Aug.

Back