NAR & TRA Temporary flight restrictions on CTI VMAX motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, there's such a narrow market for 24 and 29mm Vmax motors that a non-motor deployment option may never present itself. There are relatively few rockets one could build that would be both light enough to lift, stout enough to handle the rapid g loading, and large enough to hold the deployment electronics and a practical separating charge.

I've moved my DD 1.6" mini frenzy from MadCow to the front of my build pile to explore options. Goes fast, but sims less than 1K ft on a 1gn motor, though.

I'm thinking that until/unless the data supports a lifting of the ban on motor eject for the 24 and 29mm motors, they're most probably either going into the burn pile in the near term or on yard sale section as collectible rocket memorabilia in the long term.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there's such a narrow market for 24 and 29mm Vmax motors that a non-motor deployment option may never present itself. There are relatively few rockets one could build that would be both light enough to lift, stout enough to handle the rapid g loading, and large enough to hold the deployment electronics and a practical separating charge.

I'm thinking that until/unless the data supports a lifting of the ban on motor eject for the 24 and 29mm motors, they're most probably either going into the burn pile in the near term or on yard sale section as collectible rocket memorabilia in the long term.

I've been wondering about this myself, since I just bought a CTI F120 earlier this season from Ken Allen. I was going to use it at NYPower but didn't get the chance to, now I have to wonder if I'll be able to at all.

I've been wondering about this myself, since I just bought a CTI F120 earlier this season from Ken Allen. I was going to use it at NYPower but didn't get the chance to, now I have to wonder if I'll be able to at all.

MDRA is neither TRA nor NAR sanctioned and have our own insurance. I have e-mailed the BOD to see if we will be honoring this restriction. If not, maybe it's time for you to take a little rocket vacation. :wink:

Precisely my point. It's a perfect motor for all the motor deploy fiberglass minis out there, goes about 1500ish feet really fast, motor deploy. I have a summer stock of a dozen of those motors, and burn one or two every launch session. Over the last year, at club launches and private ones I've burned two dozen of 'em. EVERY ONE, new or old, lit the ejection charge.

That's why everyone wants the data to be a little more public. I get the feeling that the whole prohibition is out of an abundance of caution, but it leaves more questions than answers. The biggest is: What is the way forward?

MDRA is neither TRA nor NAR sanctioned and have our own insurance. I have e-mailed the BOD to see if we will be honoring this restriction. If not, maybe it's time for you to take a little rocket vacation. :wink:

I'm already planning to launch with MDRA all summer until Bayboro and Battle Park opens in the fall. If MDRA opens up the restriction (my gut says that they probably won't), then I'm going to have a "Burn the Vmax" day the next launch!

Last edited:
I bet CTI shows production and warranty info soon that will lift the restriction on the smaller motors at least.

I know that insurance covers the club, but does it cover individual fliers as well?

I know that insurance covers the club, but does it cover individual fliers as well?

The insurance covers anything that happens at a club launch, but it is not like NAR and TRA insurance that covers you anywhere, any time as long as you are adhering to the safety code.

MDRA BOD says come fly your VMAX motors with us! Rick and Tom, time for a rocket trip!

MDRA BOD says come fly your VMAX motors with us! Rick and Tom, time for a rocket trip!

LOL - That's a long drive for the sake of one motor (~6.5hr), but I'll look to see if any of your launches don't overlap with URRG/MARS launches. Would be nice to pop into the SNASM again if I was down that way, particularly the Udvar-Hazy Center...

Last edited:
LOL - That's a long drive for the sake of one motor (~6.5hr),

Not if you attach the vmax motors to your car!

Then again, I suppose if you burn up all your vmax motors on the way there, I'm not sure what you'd be flying, but it's a minor detail.

The insurance covers anything that happens at a club launch, but it is not like NAR and TRA insurance that covers you anywhere, any time as long as you are adhering to the safety code.

You just sold me a lifetime MDRA membership! See you there.

oh no.... not a CTI jet hitch too.....

can-of-worms.jpg

Hello, is the contingency measure to use electronics with vmax (ie f120, g250 etc) still in place? Thanks and happy new year!

Back