NAR to outlaw launch rods???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If rails are available, why would one want to use a rod?
Because as noted in my previous post, some rockets simply cannot be flown off a rail. Why should we be forced to comply with someone's OPINION not based on any real facts?
My tube fin rocket flown off an 1/8 or 3/16 rod has never flown off in an undesirable direction due to rod whip. Even on F composite motors. It's just not an issue.
So no need to impose an opinion on the rest of us.

Because as noted in my previous post, some rockets simply cannot be flown off a rail. Why should we be forced to comply with someone's OPINION not based on any real facts?
My tube fin rocket flown off an 1/8 or 3/16 rod has never flown off in an undesirable direction due to rod whip. Even on F composite motors. It's just not an issue.
So no need to impose an opinion on the rest of us.
I guess you're entitled to your opinion. ;)

Launching too much rocket/motor from too small a support is dangerous and irresponsible. I think most of us care about that.
As has been stated, NAR is not looking to make this change. What's left to discuss?

Well said. I normally put rail buttons on any rocket that has enough space between the fins for the rail. But I also fly a few Estes type rockets that love 24mm F motors, most notably my Super Neon XL. This is a tube fin rocket. No way it can be flown off a rail. The D and E motors just don't have enough "get" for this one.
A 1010 rail fits inside BT60 and 38mm tubing. ;)

John N. Hochheimer, NAR President, addressed NAR policy regarding launch rails in his "Message from the NAR President (June 2023)".

Per John Hochheimer:
"Additionally, I am aware that there is some chatter on one or more of the rocketry forums about the use of rails for larger rockets. Apparently, the rumor is that the NAR Board of Trustees is secretly considering implementing a rule/policy change that would require all larger rockets to be launched by rails only. Although some NAR Sections have local range requirements that rockets above a certain size must be launched from a rail,there is not a NAR-wide requirement for requiring rails to be used for mid and high-power rockets. Our NAR Sections can implement launch requirements that are more stringent than the NAR safety codes; organizationally, we leave this to the discretion of the local club. The NAR encourages factual and open discussions about safety issues related to the hobby and discourages ill-informed discussions based on conjecture or rumor that is unfounded."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back