NAR S&T: New Estes motor certified - L2350

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnly

Reaction score
Total Impulse: 3886 Newton-seconds (σ 121)
Peak Thrust: 2585 Newtons (σ 37.2)
Burn Time: 1.82 seconds (σ 0.05)
Average Thrust: 2129 Newtons (σ 17.7)
Propellant Mass: 1680 grams
Post Firing Mass: 3844.5 grams
Dimensions: 152mm x 124mm

1642793823808.png

Attachments

• Estes L2350 Certification Document.pdf
    902.6 KB · Views: 209
According to that information the motor was tested on 4/9/2021 and certified on 4/17/2021

Last edited:
I would have thought it was certified on 4/1/2021.

I thought you were making a joke, but there really is an Estes Energetics. The website is way too slow, but I went through it and then did some more searches and it is a real thing. How cool if they are going to produce motors for the hobby and not just military etc!!!!

Sandy.

Curious about the propellant. In the cert doc, it just lists the EX number. When searching the EX number, DOT gives limitations, etc but not type. I really don't think it's BP but is it APCP with HTPB or PBAN or ???

Probably, but there's nothing on their site about any specific motors for sale.

Maybe their marketing team saw the debacle with the other un-named 'Energetics' company and thought they'd get something certified and in production available to ship before announcng anything for sale. This forum tends to jump on things as 'vaporware' pretty quickly. I understand (due to vaporware issues over the years, not specifically talking about rocket motors) and getting everything squared away would eliminate that as a possibility?

I thought you were making a joke, but there really is an Estes Energetics. The website is way too slow, but I went through it and then did some more searches and it is a real thing. How cool if they are going to produce motors for the hobby and not just military etc!!!!

Sandy.
I also thought it was a joke, hence my April Fools comment. Looks like it's legit. I hope Estes enters the high power market.

Sandy.
Read a little closer "Estes Energetics is a spinout of Estes Industries, the world leader in small solid-propellant rocket motors, and bridges the gap between the hobby and rocket industry and large aerospace companies. We are focused on serving government and commercial customers across a range of industries and applications".

Wonder if this is a demo motor or a spin-off of a commercial motor like the CTI M3700. I don’t think a lot of hobby flyers have rockets that have 6 inch motor mounts that are light enough to fly on L motors. It’ll be interesting to see if Estes enters the hobby market and what the hardware looks like

Then why would they submit it to S&T for certification? In any case, that's an interesting motor... you don't find that many 152mm motors, especially in the L impulse class.

Then why would they submit it to S&T for certification? In any case, that's an interesting motor... you don't find that many 152mm motors, especially in the L impulse class.
A full stack pancake motor or a coffee can motor.

Read a little closer "Estes Energetics is a spinout of Estes Industries, the world leader in small solid-propellant rocket motors, and bridges the gap between the hobby and rocket industry and large aerospace companies. We are focused on serving government and commercial customers across a range of industries and applications".
From some of the things I’ve read and from what Aerotech’s Gary Rosenfield said in his latest interview on The Rocketry Show podcast, institutional, government and commercial buyers are the fastest growing part of the high power rocketry world - Gary said currently those customers are 10% of Aerotech/RCS sales but that’s up from near zero just a few years ago. So not surprised that the Langford’s are leveraging the Estes name to get a slice of a growing market.

From some of the things I’ve read and from what Aerotech’s Gary Rosenfield said in his latest interview on The Rocketry Show podcast, institutional, government and commercial buyers are the fastest growing part of the high power rocketry world - Gary said currently those customers are 10% of Aerotech/RCS sales but that’s up from near zero just a few years ago. So not surprised that the Langford’s are leveraging the Estes name to get a slice of a growing market.
We can only hope, we have some great but limited choices in the hobby today, with AT, CTI, and Loki, maybe a fourth finger in the pie will improve access and innovation.

I guess my point was "How cool IF they are going to produce motors for the hobby and not just military etc!!!!". Maybe the government or another commercial customer needs NAR S&T motor certification for use.

Sandy.

I guess my point was "How cool IF they are going to produce motors for the hobby and not just military etc!!!!". Maybe the government or another commercial customer needs NAR S&T motor certification for use.

Sandy.
I get it now (I'm a little slow sometimes), I did find it odd A) the motor diamter and B) that NAR S&T certified the motor afaik we hobbyists are the only ones needing the cert (and colleges?).

Attachments

• 62831E5A-B434-469E-BED0-0F93E667A36A.jpeg
    62831E5A-B434-469E-BED0-0F93E667A36A.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 34
6" diameter but only 8" long is not exactly what I envision when I think of motors for SLI. Coffee can is an apt description.

6" diameter but only 8" long is not exactly what I envision when I think of motors for SLI. Coffee can is an apt description.

{sheepish voice} . . . maybe they are going to add a minimum length bowling ball lofting event to SLI next year and Estes Energetics is wanting to grab the market??? . . . maybe they have some insider information. . . minimum length. . . bowling ball. . .lof. . . ting. . .SLI. . .2023???

Or there is some completely logical reason that I would never think of to get the motor certified. L motors are outside my wheelhouse anyway. I think it would be cool to say you flew an Estes L motor, though. . .

Sandy.

Back