NAR or Tripoli membership ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Howdy,

Well after reviewing both NAR and Tripoli's website, looking at prefectures and where they are located in Ohio, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm 2 to 3 hours south of the Cleveland prefectures, and the same distance away from the Columbus groups, and 4 to 5 hours from the Cincinatti groups. Now I know some of you travel many hours to launch, and I'm green with envy believe me, but as a full time caretaker for my Grandfather, I don't have that luxury, so local launches and events would be my only hope at this point.

So, with that in mind, I'm considering trying to start up a group locally, and to figure out which organization to become a member of. I also realize I need to be a member first to even have access to start the process of certifying, so obviously I need to get the ball rolling.

I'm wondering which membership gives me the most bang for my buck - so to speak ?.

If I haven't said it before, I value your opinions here at TRF - and since your all part of my family, I honestly live and die on what you folks design, and fly, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

R.S. Barker

I don't know much about starting your own club... but for LPR-MPR stuff I would join NAR. If you plan on going big, then Tripoli.

My .02

It really depends on what your goals are. I'm a member of Tripoli only. I've debated on joining NAR also but just haven't done so yet. The reason that I chose TRA is that I wanted to do Experimental rocketry and NAR doesn't have that option. If you know that you don't want to get into EX, then both organization's are roughly equal. I'd go with NAR because their cheaper.

NAR or TRA??

From my experiences, the launches are for the kids. The bulk of your flights will be Low Power, and the Mid and High power flights are generally flown by the Fathers or Mothers of the children who fly the Low power.

Like Mark Brown has stated, each org. offers a little something that the other does not. NAR is catered to the schools and the kids, and in recent years has really stepped up to fill the void for High Power. For the TRA, they cater the learning experience to include Experimental, which is stricktly for the adult AM/EX Rocketeer.

Full time caregiver will really make it hard for you to keep time with either org. you decide to form a Chapter under. I would recruit some really strong people, friends or other, to help share the long hours of start up and exposure.

There is a group down in B'Ham AL. that are trying to start a NAR chapter, as launches for them were hours in every direction...looks like they are on the right track.

Good luck, and for my $.02 worth, I would start a NAR club, and teach the Children in our schools the importance of model rocketry and how it can help them to reach for their dreams...oh yeah, and to get a good field locally so you can fly every weekend if needs be :D

To be honest I was leaning towards a NAR membership because I'm not very interested in the experimental side of things. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some fantastic X stuff and really think its cool, but your right. Living in an area so far from the beaten path of various clubs, sharing this hobby with children is high on my list of reasons to start a club.

NAR it is then.

Thanks for your feedback, 8)

As other have mentioned, much depends on what type of rocketry you're primarily interested in. If it's mainly low power, you might as well join NAR. For high power you could do either TRA or NAR, though TRA generally has more emphasis on high power than NAR does. Even that really matters more for those who are looking at joining existing local clubs rather than starting one of their own, as you are doing.

Another issue is launch site availability. If you're interested in high power, but can't find a suitable site in your area, there might not be any point in starting a club.

BTW, Ray is an expert in rocketry photography

both his stills and movies are unmatched!

just my $0.02

- iz :)

Where in Ohio are you? I used to live in Canfield a southwest of Youngstown, and now I live in Twinsburg. Have you checked out the MTMA https://web.raex.com/~markndeb/rockets/mtma/ ? We sometimes launch at the Summit county fairgrounds which might be our closest launch site to where you live? There is a high school TARC group in Carrollton that I am helping out.

I suggest starting with an NAR membership, its less expensive, and you get Sport Rocketry magazine every other month. If you find you are really into high power and experimental stuff then start up a Tripoli membership.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

NAR is good because it includes insurance, which can help when you're trying to get permission to fly on someones land.

Howdy,

First off, i'm going with a NAR membership, simply because I feel it will serve me better at this stage. 8)

Bruce,

I'm in New Philadelphia. I'll be posting some info here in the next couple days in regards to a club I'm trying to get started in this county - Tuscarawas.

I've already got my local hobby shop - Great Time Hobbies - on board as my sponser, and a few rocket companies have been contacted in hopes of having their products carried locally.

I may need the expertise of this website to be sure i'm not missing anything, but I'll post it in another thread. 8)

Cheers,

Back