NAR National Sport Launch 2005

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip Barber

Reaction score
The NAR is pleased to announce that the 2005 NAR National Sport
Launch will be held on May 6-8, 2005 at the Plaster City East
Recreation Area west of El Centro, CA. NSL 2005 will be hosted by
the Diego Area Rocketry Team (DART) Section #317 with Mike Jerauld as Event Director. There will be the usual California "M" power limit on individual motors, and the usual 25Kft waiver for this launch site, which is the site used for the "Plaster Blaster" launches. Until a website is established, you can reach the Event Director at <[email protected]>, or (619) 276-6238.

Thanks to the members of DART section for stepping forward to offer this great site and this important NAR national service.

Trip Barber
NAR 4322
NAR National Events Committee Chairman

Just wanted to let everyone know that the beginnings of the website are in place at www.nsl2005.org, including the contest page! The onsite scratch build contest is a blast!

Are there any TRFer's that plan on being there?

You better believe I'm gonna be there! And if I get a chance, I'll be using 2 of those donated motors for my L1/L2 certs!

WW

unfortunately, FlisKits will not be able to attend this event... We're hoping to be able to donate to the raffles, but that's about as close as we can get this year... :(

jim

Jim,

Do you plan to do up an "official commemorative" like you have in past years?

What about you other vendors? I'd love to have one or two already built that I could fly there... Besides, they would go good with my collection from last NSL.

As for other attendees, mkeene is also planning on going.

WW

We haven't yet considered that, but it is entirely possible. A free paper rocket is also probable :)

Keep watch
jim

BSD High Power Rocketry plans to attend. We will provide several kits for prizes.

We will have kits and accessories. We hope to have a prototype of a new kit ready by then for a demo flight, too.

Hi Todd and Tim!!!

My Fiancee and I will be there. I already requested one of the donated motors for my Level 2. I am also bringing some new people and am looking forward to this launch!

Rumor has it the Vostock from Plaster Blaster last year will be going up!

-Chris

I too am planning on attending, hopefully Friday and Saturday, but probably only Saturday. Never been to a NSL, what should I expect? Anything like Rocstock?

I have never been to NSL either, but my understanding is that it will be bigger than RockStock. I know several people from different states coming that don't normally go to RockStock, so I expect this to be a killer event!

-Chris

Hey Chris!

Glad to hear that you will be there! This time we gotta get a TRF gathering and group photo!

What donated motors? Can I score one too?

someone is donating motors for level 1 and 2 certs. check the nsl web site for info.

definitely need to get a group photo! i had a great time at plaster blaster, so i am hoping this launch will be even better!!

-Chris

Isn't there a TRF banner out there someplace? I think the East Coasters have it stashed away somewhere for their annual gatherings. Maybe we can get it from them after the Whitakers launch or something...

WW

The 2 guys doing the TdD project have a banner, Jason and Eugenio. When they were at ROCStock XX they had it with them there. Maybe they'll loan it to us.

Eugenio, Jason you guys listening? Can we borrow the TRF banner for the NSL in May?

Wow!

Aerotech/RMS is donating 20 level 1 motors and 10 level 2 motors to NAR members certifying at NSL 2005. Please contact the Launch Director if you would like to obtain one of these motors.

Too bad I don't qualify for a free motor as I'm already L2, but what a deal if you aren't!

I'm not!! I might be by then though. I am going to Springfest in a couple of weeks and might decide to just get my level 2 there.

-Chris

Originally posted by kelltym88
The 2 guys doing the TdD project have a banner, Jason and Eugenio. When they were at ROCStock XX they had it with them there. Maybe they'll loan it to us.

Eugenio, Jason you guys listening? Can we borrow the TRF banner for the NSL in May?

I don't see why not. I would be more than happy to send it out. I'll run it by the other mods for confirmation but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Originally posted by SpartaChris
I'm not!! I might be by then though. I am going to Springfest in a couple of weeks and might decide to just get my level 2 there.

-Chris

SpartaChris:
Where and exactly when is Springfest? Haven't heard of that one. I''m in Fullerton and maybe I can make it, unless it's a private thing.

"Search". It will reveal all.

https://www.tripolivegas.com/

Launch site with several buffets nearby. And craps! And a prison.

Originally posted by kelltym88
SpartaChris:
Where and exactly when is Springfest? Haven't heard of that one. I''m in Fullerton and maybe I can make it, unless it's a private thing.

Has there been any announcement concerning any motor vendors who will be attending the NSL?

I'm just looking for some mid-power motors (F20/F25/F50, G40/G80).

Thanks.

Originally posted by Initiator001
Has there been any announcement concerning any motor vendors who will be attending the NSL?

I'm just looking for some mid-power motors (F20/F25/F50, G40/G80).

Thanks.

This page has the references you're looking for. Both What's Up Hobbies and Just Rockets will be there, and both offer a full line of MPR whoosh generators to make you grin ear to ear.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
This page has the references you're looking for. Both What's Up Hobbies and Just Rockets will be there, and both offer a full line of MPR whoosh generators to make you grin ear to ear.

WW

Thanks.

Now, will there be any Quest D20s for sale at this launch? :)

Spring fest is March 18-20 at the Jean dry lake bed in Jean NV. You can find all of the info here: https://www.tripolivegas.com/SpringFest.html

My fiancee and I already booked our rooms at the Gold Strike. I would call and see if they have anything still available.

Friday is EX day- no commercial motors. Saturday and Sunday are all commercial. Should be a great event!

Let me know if you can attend!

-Chris

Originally posted by Initiator001
Thanks.

Now, will there be any Quest D20s for sale at this launch? :)

I'm hoping to be able to stop by Andy's on the way home tomorrow afternoon (gotta get a 54mm slimline retainer), and I'll ask him about them. I'm sure he's aware of them, but as he's not currently a Quest vendor, he may not be in line to get a first delivery run of them.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Jim,

Do you plan to do up an "official commemorative" like you have in past years?

What about you other vendors? I'd love to have one or two already built that I could fly there... Besides, they would go good with my collection from last NSL.

As for other attendees, mkeene is also planning on going.

WW

FlisKits Exclusive!
Well, it's official. FlisKits will be producing the NSL-2005 anniversary kit. At this time it looks like the Espresso foam cup rocket will the the kit of choice :) I am working on markings for the design and will send it off to the NSL folks for review.

More information as it becomes available!

Oh man, I am so stoked for NSL after coming away from Springfest with my L2 cert!!

Here's a thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14134

Springfest was a lot of fun, but the weather made for a smaller turnout and only 1 decent day of flying. Friday was EX day, and was rather windy. Saturday had pretty decent flying conditions, but a really low cloud ceiling. Sunday got blown out by the evil "W". Plus the lakebed got a really good soaking the night before, so it wasn't the best conditions for flying or recovery.

Plaster City, here I come!!

Anybody got any info about the donated cert motors from AT? I've contacted both Mike Jerrard and Steve Mickelsen, and neither has heard anything about specifics. My main question is if AT is going to simply "take orders" and donate what is requested, or if they have specific loads that they are going to provide.

Also, have we arranged for the TRF banner to find its way out to one of the NSL attendees? Maybe we should post that question over in the TRF Reunion thread...

WW

Back