NAR Manufacturers Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone happen to record the NAR Manufacturers Virtual forum on July 27? Had to work, and couldn't catch it live. Really wish this one had been held on Saturday or Sunday.

If there is a link to the video, please share. Thanks.

Rumor was it was supposed to be posted at some point. I'd settle for a good summary. Remarkable how little conversation about it there's been.

It was on Zoom last night. During the presentations, the red recording light was on, so we can assume the moderators recorded it for a future posting.

I think you'll need to be an NAR member to access the recording. The virtual format went really well - it gave each vendor a chance to set up their own environment. Estes was broadcasting from Bill Stine's office in Penrose. Here are a few gems:

Estes: E16/F15 *will* be returning to production using new tooling. Bill said they will be significantly more reliable as well. Skylab Saturn and a new camera payload are in the works. Starters are being updated with an "exothermic" coating that satisfies ATF; also claimed to be much improved. Clubs might receive samples to test at club launches. A very few Estes products are set to start appearing in Target stores.

Eggtimer: New 1-channel deployment altimeter - pairs well with JLCR, fits 24mm, uses ~100 mAh battery, onboard screw switch, all-up weight 7gm, kit costs $20.

E-Rockets: old Semroc site is down. May be restorable but the old server took many tries to even boot up. SLS brand large kits are being renamed to "Pro". Various new kits including Micro-Maxx. Piston tubes back in stock.

Aerotech: Various new loads and motors. 29mm plug/tapped closure with 1/4-20 threads is out. 75mm single-throat nozzle issued to help cross-loads into CTI cases where the Medusa nozzles interfere with the closure; TRA cert for this is done or nearly done. Planning at least one "classic Enerjet" motor - probably the F52 - with the original smokeless flame and Mach diamonds. White Lightning Q-Jets in the works. Working on an I65 motor with one non-adjustable motor delay in 8-10 second range.

Dynasoar: Frank Burke continues his prodigious output of lightweight RC glider kits. I think he said there are 26 different ones in production. He currently has an actual RC gliding BOMARC available.

Apogee: They have acquired the RockSim software outright and are planning a new release to fix some of the bugs in v10.

NewWay: They now have a triangular rocket...we're waiting for the pentagon (no they did not actually mention pentagons)

ASP: New parachutes in a really bright fluorescent material - 4 colors IIRC.

Sorry to those not mentioned, just working from memory here!

I am a NAR member. Generally very pleased with how the virtual event was handled. My only issue is that the manufacturers forum is the most popular event for general membership, but instead of holding that on a weekend, we held it on a weekday.

Hopefully a link will be provided soon. Thanks for posting the highlights.

Other highlights included the North Coast F117 which has already been discussed here, shown by both Apogee and NCR. Apparently first run is sold out and parts are inbound for the second run. Matt had another interesting rocket kit as well (I forgot the name) for which release is imminent.

New Way also showed a steampunk-themed model called Steamliner that looks really cool, and is still working on Saturn-IV that was shown at last year's NARAM Manufacturers Forum. New Way models available principally through eRockets.

Gary at Aerotech teased the White Lightning Q-jets again and said they were in certification testing now. He also talked about long-burn motors and getting them to where they could be certified (I think here he's talking about those really low-thrust long burn Gs that suit Joe Barnard's thrust vector control setup) as well as an I65 (?).

This would have been NARAM week and the manufacturer's forum would have been after the flying on one of these evenings (not on the weekend prior).

There was enough good stuff that I'd love to watch the recording when Todd and Ed get it ready to post. I was actually on the way back from putting up a few virtual NARAM contest flights so heard the first two presenter on my phone in the car as I was driving home.

“Rumor was it was supposed to be posted at some point. I'd settle for a good summary. Remarkable how little conversation about it there's been. - Eljay”

Been bits and pieces popping up on YORF - I’ve been posting what I’ve read on the Estes fan FB page.

Matt had another interesting rocket kit as well (I forgot the name) for which release is imminent
Argo D4, I think?

I’m pretty excited about the Estes scale space models. I also think I want the new EggTimer 1 channel altimeter. It will be perfect with my JLCR and smaller rockets.

Thanks for reminding me about the NCR Argo D4 Javelin kit and the F117. Javelins have been popular as a NARAM scale model - cool looking and fairly straightforward staging for flight points.

<snip>

Eggtimer: New 1-channel deployment altimeter - pairs well with JLCR, fits 24mm, uses ~100 mAh battery, onboard screw switch, all-up weight 7gm, kit costs $20.

<snip>

Aerotech: Various new loads and motors. 29mm plug/tapped closure with 1/4-20 threads is out.

<snip>

The Eggtimer product would be awesome with the JLCR.

I already have the 29mm plugged tapped forward closure. Ordered it from Wildman when I heard the announcement. It arrived about two weeks ago. 3/16” threads IIRC.

It arrived about two weeks ago. 3/16” threads IIRC.
LOL Gary definitely said 1/4-20. We need a measurement! Either is possible :)

This reminds me how much I am missing the annual summer rocket vacations to NARAM, LDRS and NSL.

Last edited:
Did Estes mention anything about bringing back its Mercury Atlas Kit?
There has been some talk that since the Mercury Atlas won the online poll it’s the leading candidate for a cone back but I haven’t seen anything concrete. If anyone has any information please share...

There has been some talk that since the Mercury Atlas won the online poll it’s the leading candidate for a cone back but I haven’t seen anything concrete. If anyone has any information please share...

Having just built one, the Atlas is a pretty complex kit and I would think it's going to take some serious work to bring it back. My guess is they are still working on it, but it's going to take time.

I need to go rewatch the beginning as I was also in my car (coming home from some flying, actually) when Peter was on and so he was on my phone in a place where I should not be watching while driving. He WAS fun to listen to that's for sure.

Big Mars Snooper was in the Estes presentation. Bill Stine said it was slated for April of next year. For some reason this one will be a must for me.

Upscaling this had to be right in John Boren’s “wheelhouse” - pods, laser cut detail parts, multiple transitions - if only it had fin struts ;-)

I’m on the same page - after the return of 29mm motors this has me the most excited. It’s probably even more appealing to me than the Saturn 1b.

Yes, I expect it is another JumpJet/John Boren masterpiece in the spirit of the QCC Explorer and Solar Warrior (both of which are a little larger in diameter but use 24mm motors).

Big Mars Snooper was in the Estes presentation. Bill Stine said it was slated for April of next year. For some reason this one will be a must for me.View attachment 426419
Yes I did see the Estes upscale, also think it should go to 24mm.

This is what I was looking at in the eRockets segment. The large dark blue/white rocket next to the Orbital Transport in the back.

459D9988-9EB0-41F0-BA2C-AE015B76BA23.png

Back