NAR level 2 written test questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have several questions about the NAR level 2 written test. The first two are:
Can I take the written test without being level one certified?
I have taken the practice test several times. Are all the possible questions I might be asked during the actual test on the practice test or could there possibly be different questions?
Mostly asking about the questions relating to the possible distances that need to be followed. These were the only questions I had difficulty with. And this stuff doesn’t seem like it would be practical to be taking from memory when the rubber hits the road.

It’s easy to look up distances Innral life. But those questions will be on the exam anyway.

I -think- you need to be L1 to take the test.

Charles, Thanks for your quick reply.
I know that those questions will be on the test but will they be the exact same questions that are on the practice test? So I only have to memorize those distances?

As stated on the NAR website, the 37 questions on any of the three versions of the test are pulled from the 97 questions in the study guide so the wording will be exact.

There is nothing stating that you need to be L1 certified to take the exam. I've heard of some who have attempted both L1 and L2 on the same day; either they took the exam sometime in the year before that day or they took it between the attempts - that would make for a full day.

Charles, Thanks for your quick reply.
I know that those questions will be on the test but will they be the exact same questions that are on the practice test? So I only have to memorize those distances?

The test questions are taken verbatim from the exam pool. The test even uses the same numbering.
You may not take the test until you’re L1. Step 3 of the procedure:
The individual must provide proof of previous Level 1 certification. Proof of previous certification includes the high power certification card or a NAR membership card showing the Level 1 certification level.
The procedure is here:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/

Last edited:
Is thee a quick reference guide for those distances somewhere? I hated the fact that I was just memorizing the questions from the pool and not really learning the underlying material. I want to be sure I don’t screw this stuff up in the future.

Is thee a quick reference guide for those distances somewhere? I hated the fact that I was just memorizing the questions from the pool and not really learning the underlying material. I want to be sure I don’t screw this stuff up in the future.
Here you go, Brenton. That covers HPR.
Quoting the Model Rocket Safety Code:
Launch Safety. I will use a countdown before launch, and will ensure that everyone is paying attention and is a safe distance of at least 15 feet away when I launch rockets with D motors or smaller, and 30 feet when I launch larger rockets. If I am uncertain about the safety or stability of an untested rocket, I will check the stability before flight and will fly it only after warning spectators and clearing them away to a safe distance. When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than ten rockets I will observe a safe distance of 1.5 times the maximum expected altitude of any launched rocket.

Each of the answers in the study guide includes the reference guide where you can go learn about it. For example, the italicized portion below:
C13) What is the minimum safe distance from a high power rocket containing two (2) “K“ motors?
A) 50 feet B) 100 feet C) 300 feet D) 500 feet
-----------------
The answer is “D“. Refer to Table 4.16.3 of NFPA 1127, and the minimum distance table in the NAR High Power Rocket Safety Code.

Many refer to NFPA 1127. For both NAR and TRA NFPA 1127 forms a common foundation for our Safety Codes. Both NAR and TRA also publish their own HPR Safety Code which adds to NFPA 1127 and restates the Safe Distances. It’s at this page. The Safe Distance Table is at the bottom of the page:
https://www.nar.org/safety-information/high-power-rocket-safety-code/

Unfortunately, access to NFPA 1127 is a little more difficult. You can go to NFPA.org and register for free, find the code you want, and then click on a link to get free access, but it’s not terribly convenient, even though it’s free. Your local library may have a copy, but you want to make sure to use the most current version.

Last edited:
I have several questions about the NAR level 2 written test. The first two are:
Can I take the written test without being level one certified?
I have taken the practice test several times. Are all the possible questions I might be asked during the actual test on the practice test or could there possibly be different questions?
Mostly asking about the questions relating to the possible distances that need to be followed. These were the only questions I had difficulty with. And this stuff doesn’t seem like it would be practical to be taking from memory when the rubber hits the road.

Yep, these questions are just as useless as the ones about impulse range letters. Having to memorize anything easily found in a lookup table is not a good test of comprehension.

Yep, these questions are just as useless as the ones about impulse range letters. Having to memorize anything easily found in a lookup table is not a good test of comprehension.
Right, we should add a practical component to the procedure, like performing a safe test flight and successful recovery.

oh

Right, we should add a practical component to the procedure, like performing a safe test flight and successful recovery.

It would be a better demonstration of useful knowledge if the question asked where one could look up what the distances are in every situation rather than what the distance is in this one very specific situation.

It would be a better demonstration of useful knowledge if the question asked where one could look up what the distances are in every situation rather than what the distance is in this one very specific situation.

I disagree. L2 is the gateway to serving as RSO and Launch Director (as well as Prefect in Tripoli). Studying the safe distances is necessary for those positions. Knowing where to look them up is necessary, but practice in reading the table is really important because it can be confusing. The questions on the test are selected because they are examples of confusing questions.

Here you go, Brenton. That covers HPR.
Quoting the Model Rocket Safety Code:
Launch Safety. I will use a countdown before launch, and will ensure that everyone is paying attention and is a safe distance of at least 15 feet away when I launch rockets with D motors or smaller, and 30 feet when I launch larger rockets. If I am uncertain about the safety or stability of an untested rocket, I will check the stability before flight and will fly it only after warning spectators and clearing them away to a safe distance. When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than ten rockets I will observe a safe distance of 1.5 times the maximum expected altitude of any launched rocket.

Thanks, Ken. I just bookmarked that link.

Observations from my first go at the test:
The question pool has the answers with Explanations of the logic behind them. Beyond just "memorizing answers to questions", reading those explanations can help get your head around the intent of the question better. I should have reviewed those expla nations closer to the test (instead of like 6 months earlier)

Also, in the heat of the moment, don't forget that 2 of the same motors bump the impulse into the next bracket lol

Each of the answers in the study guide includes the reference guide where you can go learn about it. For example, the italicized portion below:
C13) What is the minimum safe distance from a high power rocket containing two (2) “K“ motors?
A) 50 feet B) 100 feet C) 300 feet D) 500 feet
-----------------
The answer is “D“. Refer to Table 4.16.3 of NFPA 1127, and the minimum distance table in the NAR High Power Rocket Safety Code.

Many refer to NFPA 1127. For both NAR and TRA NFPA 1127 forms a common foundation for our Safety Codes. Both NAR and TRA also publish their own HPR Safety Code which adds to NFPA 1127 and restates the Safe Distances. It’s at this page. The Safe Distance Table is at the bottom of the page:
https://www.nar.org/safety-information/high-power-rocket-safety-code/

Unfortunately, access to NFPA 1127 is a little more difficult. You can go to NFPA.org and register for free, find the code you want, and then click on a link to get free access, but it’s not terribly convenient, even though it’s free. Your local library may have a copy, but you want to make sure to use the most current version.

I actually signed up for a NFPA login last week and downloaded 1127. It seems weird that it is not more readily available. That’s why I was asking for a quick reference guide.

I wish I would have studied the NAR table that Ken linked to for my test. I might have missed another question or two, but I would have understood the material better. Oh well...it’s high time I finally learn this stuff!

I actually signed up for a NFPA login last week and downloaded 1127. It seems weird that it is not more readily available. That’s why I was asking for a quick reference guide.

I wish I would have studied the NAR table that Ken linked to for my test. I might have missed another question or two, but I would have understood the material better. Oh well...it’s high time I finally learn this stuff!

Tripoli sent printed copies of NFPA 1127 to all it’s Prefects last year to try and help, but I agree; I wish it were more inexpensively accessible.

I found, that doing the online practice exam, doing one section (maybe two) a night for two weeks, gets you into the 90% category. You soon see which questions you have an issue with, and then (you should) start to dig deeper for the answer. (And yes, you answer ALL the questions in the pool on the online practice test. SO, getting a 90% on the larger sections means you're pretty sure to get that or above..)

getting a 90% on the larger sections means you're pretty sure to get that or above..

My worry is that the three questions I have difficulty with will all be there and then my average would go down because I don’t have the others to make up for it.

I have taken the practice test about 5 times now. I think I am ready for the real deal. :) Maybe one day I’ll get my level one and be able to take the actual test.

I disagree. L2 is the gateway to serving as RSO and Launch Director (as well as Prefect in Tripoli). Studying the safe distances is necessary for those positions. Knowing where to look them up is necessary, but practice in reading the table is really important because it can be confusing. The questions on the test are selected because they are examples of confusing questions.

I disagree with your disagreement. There is good reasoning behind the safe distances table, but in practice the numbers are pretty random and there's no good way to memorize them. So you end up "teaching to the test" and just memorizing the questions.

If the goal is to learn how to apply the table to potentially confusing situations, the table should be provided. That way you're actually thinking about how to use the table. As it is, the test rewards memorizing the questions. It doesn't reward being able to use the table, because you don't get to use the table on the test.

An RSO / Launch Director / Prefect shouldn't be relying on their memory, especially for something complex and a bit fiddly like the safe distance table. Their motto should be "trust but verify", and they should be encouraged, not prohibited, to double check their references for any unusual situation. Giving the table as a reference, but asking the testee to apply it to weird situations, would be the best simulation of how an RSO would operate in practice. Really the best practice would be a question like this:

"You are acting as RSO for your field. You have pads set up 50 ft, 100 ft, 200 ft, and 500 ft from your flight line. A Level 1 certified flier comes to you with a rocket powered by two H motors. Which pad should you assign the flier to? You may reference the attached safe distances table if needed"

I disagree with your disagreement. There is good reasoning behind the safe distances table, but in practice the numbers are pretty random and there's no good way to memorize them. So you end up "teaching to the test" and just memorizing the questions.

If the goal is to learn how to apply the table to potentially confusing situations, the table should be provided. That way you're actually thinking about how to use the table. As it is, the test rewards memorizing the questions. It doesn't reward being able to use the table, because you don't get to use the table on the test.

An RSO / Launch Director / Prefect shouldn't be relying on their memory, especially for something complex and a bit fiddly like the safe distance table. Their motto should be "trust but verify", and they should be encouraged, not prohibited, to double check their references for any unusual situation. Giving the table as a reference, but asking the testee to apply it to weird situations, would be the best simulation of how an RSO would operate in practice. Really the best practice would be a question like this:

"You are acting as RSO for your field. You have pads set up 50 ft, 100 ft, 200 ft, and 500 ft from your flight line. A Level 1 certified flier comes to you with a rocket powered by two H motors. Which pad should you assign the flier to? You may reference the attached safe distances table if needed"

I agree that would be a better way of teaching how to use the safe distance tables. My earlier disagreement was with the simple statement that the test should just ask where to find them.

FYI, I started this thread years ago, and it may be worth a perusal. If the exam is designed to not only test safety, but to teach safety, then questions in which you must assume something fail in the latter goal.

Back