NAR Level 2 Exam Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterP

Reaction score
Hey all! This may be explained elsewhere, but I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about taking the NAR Level 2 exam. I received my Level 1 in March and decided it was time to go for my Level 2. I have the rocket, motor, and a launch date picked out. The only thing left is the exam! I've studied the online guides, but my question deals with the actual action of taking the exam. Where and how do you take it? I've heard that you take it at the launch site, in front of the person certifying you, or you can request a copy and complete on your own. What's the process on taking it? Thanks!

Hey all! This may be explained elsewhere, but I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about taking the NAR Level 2 exam. I received my Level 1 in March and decided it was time to go for my Level 2. I have the rocket, motor, and a launch date picked out. The only thing left is the exam! I've studied the online guides, but my question deals with the actual action of taking the exam. Where and how do you take it? I've heard that you take it at the launch site, in front of the person certifying you, or you can request a copy and complete on your own. What's the process on taking it? Thanks!

You can take it anywhere the person who’s proctoring it agrees to and up to a year before you fly the L2 flight. You are not allowed to order it and take it on your own.

Usually it will be given on site and checked by the individual overseeing your cert. Usually the clubs have copies. Our club for example has copies on hand of both the NAR and TRA tests (TriCities Rocketeers/Tripoli Southeast Washington). Contact your local club or whoever is overseeing your cert.

Contact the club you will be certifying with and arrange to take it with them. You cannot proctor your own test.

Seems simple enough! Thank you!

I'm aiming for an August launch date most likely with Bluegrass Rocketry in Kentucky.

A bit of advice from personal experience (Yes I did fail, and am not proud of that) .Taking the written test on site has so many distractions it is absolutely nerve wracking, if possible do it before hand. While we may be rocket scientists we are certainly not superhumans.

I'm not sure if it's similar for NAR, but Tripoli publishes the exam questions in their "study guide" that they send out when you become a member. All of the questions from the actual exam are taken from the bank of questions in the study guide. If you give the study guide a good run through, you should be able to pass.

Also, I agree with Wallace that taking the exam on site has disadvantages. If possible try to take it beforehand offsite--though I acknowledge that can be difficult especially if your precept/proctor doesn't live near you. I took my exam on site but didn't launch my cert rocket until the next club launch.

The place to start is you re thinking about level 2 certification is the NAR web page on level 2 certification. You should also check with the club you plan to certify with. Many sections keep the exams and other paperwork on hand at their launches. I do recommend planning to take the exam before the launch where you plan to do the cert flight. That way if you fail the exam you don't have everything prepped for the flight. If you pass then you have that much less stress on the date for your cert flight.

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/

Back