NAR L-2 Test Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Vrstal

Reaction score
I received my NAR L-2 test in the mail today. Am I allowed to open the envelope or should I just keep it closed untill the launch this weekend and turn it over to whomever is going to oversee the testing?

I would guess you have let the proctor open it. Its not a 'take home' as far as I know. ;) Back when I asked for some of them in case someone at our launches wanted to take it, they wouldn't even give it to me...said only club officers get them.

Yes, just found the answer. The test must remain sealed until taken.

Also found that the rules say they will provide the tests to a 'certification team member'. I guess I didn't qualify.

Dick...Thanks for the heads up :)

Here's what I did.
I e-mailed the contact person from the NAR site and asked for the test. I mentioned that I would be handing it over to one of the L-3 guys to administer the test. I received an e-mail back saying he would send it right out....Wish me luck :D

Best of luck Marty (not that its needed) :)

I did the same as you but the guy wouldn't send them. Not even for my use but some ppl had asked me about NAR certs at our MDRA launches.

Originally posted by Martin Vrstal
Dick...Thanks for the heads up :)

Here's what I did.
I e-mailed the contact person from the NAR site and asked for the test. I mentioned that I would be handing it over to one of the L-3 guys to administer the test. I received an e-mail back saying he would send it right out....Wish me luck :D

Marty,

Who did you email because I didn't receive it yet? NAR HQ is pretty fast so I am surprised I haven't seen your request as of yet. I did recently receive an order for about 14 tests, but also handle and receive requests for the single ones too! As a matter of fact, I just had another bunch printed since the last order deleted my supplies. Who mailed it to you?

Eventually, single requests will go through NAR HQ, hopefully around year end, but that is on hold until the L2 exam is revamped, which I am currently in process of updating. Also, they are correct, do not open the actual exam envelope until you are ready to take it. You should also receive a keysheet with the questions and answers. It makes an excellent study guide as it gives you the "whys" for each answer, so you don't just memorize it but actually learn it.

Anyway, let me know about whom you emailed because I want to insure that the NAR website is updated if my name is not listed somewhere, since that is now one of my many responsibilities.

Thanks Bro and best wishes on the exam!
(putting my official cap on now)

Carl Tulanko
Chairman
NAR Sport Services
NAR 79454 L3CC
TRA 08664 L3
Sr. Advisor
NAR Section 624, Quarks
Administrator
The Rocketry Forum

Carl,
I believe the contact person from the site is Stephen Lubliner from Tucson AZ. That's who mailed it to me.

The only reason I ask the" do I or don't I" open the mailing envelope is that I did open it just enough to peek inside, thinking maybe there were a couple of sealed envelopes inside. Then my wife said..."maybe you should hold off on that and ask your buddies on the forum".
All I can see is several printed papers and 1 envelope, thinking it's the test ,with the answers in the envelope? But you mention a keyset? Is that different than the the study questions you can download from the NAR site?
I just hate getting mail that I can't open.....it's like waiting for Christmas and looking at the presents under the tree for days.

Martin,

The BIG envelope should contain a header sheet, a HPR application, a what I call Key Sheet, although it has a different name, and a letter envelope containing the exam. The so called "key sheet" has all the same questions that are on the NAR site, which is why I don't mind people using it. Moreover, it gives you not only the answers, but a "why" at the end of each question, which is much better for learning. Just don't open the letter envelope.

As far as where you got the exams, Steve is the guy I replaced in August so that is no problem. Still I will have to get the website updated.

Thanks for the info bro and good luck!

Carl

Carl,
OK...I'm going in...going to open the mailing envelope but not the letter envelope. If I get my butt chewed at the launch, I'll just mention your name...LOL

I'm flying my just finished Jayhawk on probably a Pro38 something...it's in the scratch build section. I haven't seen your "Tulanko Seal of Approval" yet, and just thought I'd point you in the right direction......please let me know what you think.:D

I didn't open mine. I waited until the test proctor was present. However, the actual test was sealed in a smaller envelope. The rest of the stuff was the cert paperwork. You should be OK to open the large envelope, just *don't* open the smaller one inside.

Martin,

I reran the simulations with the weather predicted at the launch site tomorrow. I get 2606' AGL on a CTI J330-11! Please post the flight details so I can verify the RockSim simulation.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Back