NAR Drag Races

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I have been reading the pink book for information on a series of events I am scheduled to participate in. It will be my first contest and I have no experience.

I understand (I think) about the C eggloft, the C rocket glider and the A helicopter. My question is on the drag race event.

By my understanding, the competitors can choose any rocket and motor combination as long as it is safe. Is that correct? One person could fly a MMX project in the same heat as somebody else with a G motor and points are awarded for first motion, lowest altitude and longest duration. Do I have this right?

You are paired up in brackets and you fly against someone else's rocket. They don't have to be the same model and don't have to have the same motor.

There are 3 points up for grabs in each race-
1st rocket to leave the pad
Lowest altitude
Last to touch down

The rockets are launched simultaneously and the one with the most points moves on. Most folks put it down to luck, but there are strategies- using quick igniters in BP motors, draggy lightweight models to get off the pad and keep the altitude low, big recovery devices or gliding recovery to maximize time aloft.

kj

I think Kevin pretty much nailed the Drag race event options.
Over the years there have been some very interesting strategies developed using very specialized and/or adapted model & materials. Just keep in mind Your going to need at least 2 of the 3 points available to move on to the next round.

To be sure your question about any model/motor combination as long as it's safe is completely corrrect.

Thanks for the info. This event is pretty much the after thought with me. I am going up there for the others but will try to put something together for this. I think I have a Sunward kit that might fit the bill.

I should point out that per the rules, your gliding options are limited to rocket gliders. Boost gliders are out because they separate.

kj

I should point out that per the rules, your gliding options are limited to rocket gliders. Boost gliders are out because they separate.

kj

I didn't know that part but I wasn't thinking about gliders anyway. With me, gliders are a sure bet for last place. Mine glide like bricks!

That doesn't meant that I am not trying the rocket glider C event though!:wink:

It sounds to me like a saucer with deploy is the ideal rocket for drag races. Is that correct?

I have a buddy at our regular launches that flies pyramids with parachutes. Seems like he'd be a tough guy to beat.

Sandy.

Flying Saucer with a B6-0 or A10-P (do not want it to have an ejection charge in case it landed before it could eject).

I do not know why anyone is talking about a "saucer with deploy". That is an HPR CERT thing, having nothing to do with contest flying. I've used Saucers in Drag Race and Open Spot Landing a lot. The "drag recovery" is sufficient for a safe recovery, they do not have to come down by "deploying" any type of recovery device, just land safely.

Of course, you CAN use a saucer with deploy if you want, but then you have to use enough engine power to get the saucer high enough to be sure it does eject in the air and not on the ground after it has landed because the RSO might DQ it (the rules are not specific as to whether landing before ejection is a DQ, but a lot of RSO's have ruled it that way).

Normally (95% + of the time) the key to the whole event is getting the motor to ignite faster than the other model’s does. This means use a Black Powder type engine, a G80 powered rocket does you no good if it starts moving AFTER after an A powered rocket does. Remember it is “first motion”.

And then it is usually best to just go for a low altitude (Saucer) and not worry about trying to keep it in the air longer than the other model.

If a NARAM had Drag Race (Officially, for points, not unofficially as NARAM-50 did), I have a couple of things in mind. But I would not want to compete against my own ideas before I get to use them, so I won’t say what.... :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
[snip] I do not know why anyone is talking about a "saucer with deploy". That is an HPR CERT thing, having nothing to do with contest flying. [snip] - George Gassaway

Well, I was working off the premise that if I had a saucer and it had a chute, it would descend slower than one without.

You are obviously 1000 times more experienced with contest flying than I will ever be, so if you feel that it is of no value, I'll concede that point.

Sandy.

one can create a parachute though, if you used a short ejection time, and since unless you're using an A or B (depending on size of the model), it would have enough time to at least inflate the chute and maybe add a second to the time :D

one can create a parachute though, if you used a short ejection time, and since unless you're using an A or B (depending on size of the model), it would have enough time to at least inflate the chute and maybe add a second to the time :D

About the only scenario I can think of where having a chute deploy from a Saucer might help one win, would be if the OTHER competitor in that heat is also using a similar Saucer on the same engine, and theirs flies a little bit lower than yours but might otherwise take longer to land if it as lighter than yours.

But again 95% (or more) of the time, it really comes down to "first motion". Once you get that first point, all you need is either fly lowest, or land last. And it is a lot easier to fly lowest than land last. Also, if you try to fly high and/or use a big chute to land last..... you might lose your model. And if you win your heat but lose your model, then the person paired up with you in the next heat will get a "single run" since you have to use the same rocket for the whole event and you'll be a no-show.

This is simply one of those events where you are a lot better off not trying to over-think it, and use the KISS method. Go for FAST ignition and lowest altitude. Don't mess around trying something that will fly lowest AND be last to land. It's a rare-win strategy.

Try to keep your chuckles stifled if your competitor is using a composite G80 powered rocket. Because it's going to LOSE the instant your "wimpy black powder" powered saucer starts to move..... as the G80 ignitor starts to think about when it will get around to igniting that G80 (As I figure anyone who used a G80 would not fly a saucer type big and draggy enough to fly lower than a small saucer).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
It seems to me that a 1/4A RG would be a good choice for this event. Am I wrong?

Back