NAR Competition Tumble recovery question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafgulch

Reaction score
can a 1st stage be tumble recovered of a 2 stage rocket in NAR competion or does this this violate rule 9.2? If lower stage ejects with the spent motor intact is this considered a “ejected motor”?

9.2 Ejected Motors
No entry in sanctioned competition shall eject its motor or motors in flight in such a manner that the spent motor casing or casings fall freely apart from the model. Ejected motor casings must descend with an attached and fully deployed streamer or parachute. The streamer area must be no less than 10 square centimeters for each gram of jettisoned mass; the parachute area must be no less than 5 square centimeters per gram of jettisoned mass. See Rule 9.10.

thanks, Paul

can a 1st stage be tumble recovered of a 2 stage rocket in NAR competion or does this this violate rule 9.2? If lower stage ejects with the spent motor intact is this considered a “ejected motor”?

"If lower stage ejects with the spent motor intact is this considered a “ejected motor?”

If the motor is still intact.... and still in the booster... it did not eject..... by definition.

"If lower stage ejects with the spent motor intact is this considered a “ejected motor?”

If the motor is still intact.... and still in the booster... it did not eject..... by definition.
thanks … I am building a 2 stage Vostok and hope to enter it in competion. I am a Cad monkey too. for nearly 40 years

Tumble recovery for a booster is fine. What isn't fine is one that doesn't tumble as it should but streamlines in. I have at least NARAM disqualification from that.... :rolleyes:

Without any fins on the booster it will most definitely streamline it. I will have to either tether it to the side booster or try to attach a streamer to it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back