NAR announces a revised HPR Safety Code

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted Cochran

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Board of Trustees of the National Association of Rocketry approved a new safety code at its March meeting last week. The safety code was revised to simplify the wording, remove inconsistencies with existing NFPA codes, and to reflect the changes to the NFPA that were approved in February by the Pyrotechnics committee, and which we expect to be routinely adopted by the NFPA as a whole.

The biggest change is the removal of the alternate launch site dimension table, which required very large launch sites (e.g., three x three miles for an M motor). Instead, the requirement is that the minimum dimension of the launch site be half as large as the expected altitude of the rockets, or 1500 feet, whichever is greater. This will allow smaller fields to be used for relatively low-flying high-power rockets. In addition, the requirement that the launch pad be 1/2 the minimum launch site dimension from the edge of the field has been changed; the launch pad must now must be the minimum personnel distance from the edge of the field. This will allow launch pad placement to be better optimized with respect to the site and the weather conditions at the time of launch.

Other changes include prohibition against launching high power rockets on a trajectory over the heads of spectators or beyond the boundaries of the launch site, prohibitions against flying rockets of undetermined stability, changes to the minimum distance around the pad cleared of combustibles, recognition of the need to consider wind speed in achieving safe launch velocity, and requiring that pyrotechnic charges and igniters have a means of disconnection from their power source until the rocket is at the pad. Many of these changes, including the field size change, were supported by studies carried out by the NAR Special Committee on Range Operation and Procedure, chaired by NAR Trustee and former astronaut Dr. Jay Apt, approved by the Trustees last July and presented to the NFPA in February.

The new safety code is available for download on the NAR web site:
https://nar.org/NARhpsc.html

Watch for additional information about safety in the future issues of Sport Rocketry and on the NAR web site.

Any feedback or questions can be sent to me at [email protected].

Ted Cochran
Chair, NAR Safety Committee

"launching high power rockets on a trajectory over the heads of spectators" ....

Sometimes difficult to calculate, but I always point the rod/rail slightly away from the "flightline". If it means a bit more "exercise" in walking afterwards, so be it. It's a minor inconvenience, and I do need the exercise!

I remember a long ago LDRS where a very large upscale model came in vertical into the parking lot, 12 feet became about 20 inches, right amongst the folks.

It's common sense, just a couple of degrees of "out" angle. Take some friends and enjoy the stroll. Real good call here, IMHO.

Dave

Ted, I assume these changes take effect immediately, but will ask for
confirmation please.

Also, how soon will the L2 written test (and practice pool) be updated to
include these changes?

I too am curious at the above question. I am scheduled to take my L2 written test April 1, I'm gonna be bummed if the questions I'm studying are the wrong ones.

Guys,

The exams are in the process of being re-written with several changes to reflect those that have been made over the years, but they are not due to expire until the end of this year. Those of you taking in the next several months are alright with using what you have and the fact that you recognize the difference already shows good judgement.

I will announce when the exams are finished and ready to send.

Back