Name This Roc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
Alright This was my first ever roc that i Built, It was because of this single rocket that i became addicted to rocketry.

I found it in the basement in our infamous HOBBY ROOM asked my dad why he never built it (he didn't have a real good reason)...after about 20min i decided i had nothing better to do so i tried it. took 3 days to build This was a level 3 in skill. (atleast thats what the package says)
Im pretty sure its called Black Hawk or somthing like that.
Have yet to paint it. But it just such an awesome bird.

If you know the real name of it please refresh me.
Its an oldie!

oh yeah and it was made by estes...who else?

-matt

Bruce,

ya beat me to it!

Only 'cause I was outside doing yard work!

sandman

I loved that rocket! :)
I have built two of them in my time :)...

Reminds me of the control line COX 049 powered Stealth plane I had ;)

yeah i would have to say its ones of my favorite rocs....Just gotta get around to paintin it... :D

-matt

Uhm wasn't that also the good guy's fighter in Buck Rogers in teh 25th Century, teh TV show?

I remember COX put out a control line of teh model as well.

But withe show's cancellation, I notied that a few of these soon became a 'Stealth' fighter. The same model, now just painted black...

am off to Jim's site to look!

hm... yeah its the exact same roc except for what you pointed out about the estes one being black and the top area around the cockpit is flat all the way across......I actaully kinda like the Centuri kit better...wish i could get ahold of one of these bad boys.
-matt

Originally posted by moocrew
hm... yeah its the exact same roc except for what you pointed out about the estes one being black and the top area around the cockpit is flat all the way across......I actaully kinda like the Centuri kit better...wish i could get ahold of one of these bad boys.
-matt

There are about 10 of them on eBay, available from the same seller. Most of them are listed as "Buy it Now" only listings with a price of $45.99 - there are a couple auctions as well with a start price of $29.99.

Here's a link - you can read the listing on how to get to his other listngs of the same kit.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2567&item=5915035465

can someone remind me.. where does the engine go?!?!
on either model..

and the 'chute pops out of..

Ouch! $45 for a dated kit? I guess someone will purchace it..

If you look closely at the two rockets, you will notice that there are slight changes. The most noticable is the cockpit design, and the lendth of the tubes.

The motor goes inside the center tube that is underneat the cockpit. It had a ducted ejection system where the motor tube was an upside down L, where the _ of the | went into one of the tube, where the parachute was housed. I thought about modding mine, so it ported to both tubes... dual parachutes :D

Originally posted by moocrew
hm.....wish i could get ahold of one of these bad boys.

Well, you have the instructions, you have the patterns for all the parts----get some light cardboard and start tracing.
That's the really cool part of a resource like JimZ's pages, you can make your own copy of all sorts of out-of-production stuff.

You could probably get someone like Astronboy to make a set of decals for you for a whole lot less than those ebay kits are selling for

whoa....

dude that is genius!!
hah you must be a rocket scientist....
I think i found my next roc ... :D

-matt

P.S.
I wasn't being sarcastic that is a pretty good idea

Centuri were the first to produce this roc. as the Buck Rogers Star Fighter. Their version had rear ejection and shorter tubes. It was in white with appropriate decals.

Years later Estes, having 'adapted' the Centuri roc, produced the Blackhawk which had one parachute ejecting from the right hand tube.

Each version are super rockets (I have one of each), they look great in flight, they do however command high prices on E-Bay for unopened kits. 1 year ago I purchased on E-Bay a made up Buck Rogers Fighter for $12.50!

Hope this belated information may be of interest. Incidentally, the sister ship to the Centuri Star Fighter was the Draconian Marauder, which comes up on E-Bay from time to time, sometimes as a pair with the former.

John.

Back