Name That Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all the talk about those fins, I feel we are not giving adequate props to that gold/black fade. Apart from the fact that it's a very good fade, it just looks damn sweet in those two colors. Black and gold will always remind me of the 70's and 80's when that was the killer color combination for hot cars, e.g.:
1632403804939.png
(here's a quickie article about that very car)

I love the concept, but I'm thinking there could be some 'interesting' aeroelastic deformation of those fins going on when it leaves the pad.

Without the stiffness afforded by a continuous cylinder, I'd be worried about those unsupported leading edges deflecting in random ways, altering trajectory.

Really hope I am wrong, and that you have a successful launch.
I have been launching curved fin rockets for many years…..they work fine with little or no flutter. Of course the thicker the better, but have had no problems off the rod.

1632454163537.jpeg

Absolute Zero

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-190019_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-190019_Chrome.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 25
So I had an idea for a tube fin design with a twist after browsing an older issue of an Apogee POF newsletter. Construction is complete, the final coat of paint is drying, and it should be good to go for it's 1st flight at this weekends club launch. The problem is that I have zero ideas on what to call it (seems to be a common problem of mine). So I'm opening it up to the forum to "Name that Rocket". :music1:

View attachment 482834
It’s giving me a campy, comic book vibe. Let’s see it is kind of bronze colored. I feel Doc Savage would have used this rocket for transport or as a weapon. How about, “Monk’s Ride”?

Absolute Zero
But that name is taken by a rocket (your picture) that isn't quite the same (since the fins all curve in the same direction). So, as something that's near absolute zero, how about "A Few Kelvin"? "Kelvin" for short.

Do notice, though, that the winning name was announced on Sept. 24, post # 37, so that ship has sailed rocket has launched.

By the way, Doug, did it launch? How'd it do?

But that name is taken by a rocket (your picture) that isn't quite the same (since the fins all curve in the same direction). So, as something that's near absolute zero, how about "A Few Kelvin"? "Kelvin" for short.

Do notice, though, that the winning name was announced on Sept. 24, post # 37, so that ship has sailed rocket has launched.

By the way, Doug, did it launch? How'd it do?

Launched it twice on a really windy day. Both did well stability wise with an altitude in the 500' range on Estes D12s. First launch got the shroud lines a bit tangled which was probably a blessing considering the wind. Switched to a 96" x 2" mylar streamer for the 2nd launch and still had to trec a bit for a successful recovery.

Since this thread has come back to life for a bit I might as well throw it open for ideas again. Finances have necessitated scrounging through the bit's and pieces boxes and I've got enough on hand for 2 or 3 builds. I only have the OR picture studio rendition of the 1st one (enough construction is done for me to start priming tomorrow) so it'll have to do for now.
New Bld.png

There's a maximum L/D for a tube fin to operate, and I assume there is something like it for a ring tail. (Maybe L/(DRING-DBODY) or L/sqrt(π(DRING²-DBODY²) or something like that?) That ring looks really tall.

A plunger. What an idea. A topless spool. I got to try it.
It'd be a companion piece to @BABAR's Tank Killer.

I was just sitting here thinking about flying plungers and was doodling..........and then it hit me. I've done something like this already. It's a 2.6" BT 54" long and weighs 19 ounces. The bell on the bottom is half of an 8" hollow styrafoam ball. I call it Half Moon. I is rocket #108. Now I'll go back to thinking about plungers.20211102_224504[1382].jpg

With a plunger down there instead of styrofoam, you'd probably need a lot of nose weight and a very punchy motor. Now I'll get back to thinking up rocket names.

Post Hole
Post Hole Digger (maybe a cursed name)
Fence Post

Back