Name That Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old School Doug

Unwilling participant in the idiocracy.
Reaction score
So I had an idea for a tube fin design with a twist after browsing an older issue of an Apogee POF newsletter. Construction is complete, the final coat of paint is drying, and it should be good to go for it's 1st flight at this weekends club launch. The problem is that I have zero ideas on what to call it (seems to be a common problem of mine). So I'm opening it up to the forum to "Name that Rocket". :music1:

IMG_2601.JPG

Well, if nothing better comes along, "Fun Roc" will do. But let's see what else we can come up with.

• Half-pipe
  • BiOK or Bio-OK or some variant (because the fins bear a slight resemblance to an incomplete biohazard symbol)
  • There's something I can't quite call to mind that has a similar black and gold color scheme

Well, if nothing better comes along, "Fun Roc" will do. But let's see what else we can come up with.

• Half-pipe
  • BiOK or Bio-OK or some variant (because the fins bear a slight resemblance to an incomplete biohazard symbol)
  • There's something I can't quite call to mind that has a similar black and gold color scheme

The idea of something to do with half pipes did come to mind. Along the lines of "Half Pipes A-Plenty" or "Half Pipe X6"

Or Fade to Gold.
Burnt Gold

There's something I can't quite call to mind that has a similar black and gold color scheme
[T]he New Orleans Saints
Right, sports teams. There are probably more than the Saints. Come to think of it, black and gold were my high school colors. (What do you want from me? It was a long time ago.)

I really like the look of that fin can, pondering ways to integrate those half-pipes into a sci-fi design. Would love to see a rear view to get an idea of exactly how each piece is sized and positioned.

Branding Iron
Or a brand the iron burns in?

The fin says "open chord" to me.
I assume you mean the chord of a circle with the partial circle open. But "open chord" also refers to a musical chord played on a stringed instrument (e.g. a guitar) where none or very few if the strings are pressed. There's a punny rocket name in there somewhere.

... pondering ways to integrate those half-pipes into a sci-fi design.

The fins are basically curved rectangles, so I'm wondering what rounding the corners would look like, once curved into a half-pipe.
image-2.png
Or, curving a trapezoid instead:
trapezoid-clipart-40.jpg
Or heck, a trapezoid with rounded corners.

I really like the look of that fin can, pondering ways to integrate those half-pipes into a sci-fi design. Would love to see a rear view to get an idea of exactly how each piece is sized and positioned.

Here ya go Neil. As a short explanation.....I took a 3.5" long section of BT70 and cut it in half. I then took a fabric ruler and marked the circumference 1" in from the edge. This was the attachment point of the 2 halves with a thin bead of 5 minute epoxy. The same epoxy was used to attach the "root" edge of the fins to the BT60 and then to form the small fillets.
IMG_2607.JPGIMG_2608.JPG

I love the concept, but I'm thinking there could be some 'interesting' aeroelastic deformation of those fins going on when it leaves the pad.

Without the stiffness afforded by a continuous cylinder, I'd be worried about those unsupported leading edges deflecting in random ways, altering trajectory.

Really hope I am wrong, and that you have a successful launch.

I love the concept, but I'm thinking there could be some 'interesting' aeroelastic deformation of those fins going on when it leaves the pad.

Without the stiffness afforded by a continuous cylinder, I'd be worried about those unsupported leading edges deflecting in random ways, altering trajectory.

I'd be surprised if there's a problem, short of putting an F44 in there or something. We will find out. :)

I wouldn't worry. Flat fins don't have "the stiffness afforded by a continuous cylinder" either. Sure, they're not (usually) made of layered paper as thin as a BT-70 wall, and yeah, these do look like they might flutter badly at high speed. (Not that I know what I'm talking about, really.)

The other hand says* that, using the BT-70 half tubes for scale, that looks to be an 18 mm motor mount. On C6 motors I just don't think it'll go fast enough to worry about such things. On a Q-Jet D20, I guess I'm not so sure. But I'd still guess it's OK.

Keep it slow on the first launch or two then ramp up.

* Yes, my hands talk.

Black Hydra…..reminds me of the 6 headed creature from Greek mythology. Has that nice flow to it……cut one fin off…2 more grow back. :)

Very good point about possible fin deformation although the biggest motor this bird will ever see is a BP D12. Best case......no issues. Worst case.....duck & cover or relegation to the home for wayward rockets (repair pile). In either case I'll find out this weekend. :questions:

Very good point about possible fin deformation although the biggest motor this bird will ever see is a BP D12. Best case......no issues. Worst case.....duck & cover or relegation to the home for wayward rockets (repair pile). In either case I'll find out this weekend. :questions:
One of the easiest and most fun rocket I ever built was a scratch build with cardboard fins. They fluttered during launch such that it slowed the rocket. It did that 3 or 4 times during the launch. It made a burrrrrrr noise and slowed down, then sped back up until another burrrrrr noise and slowed.... 3 or 4 times.

Sometimes, deviating from the "norm" means really awesome results. YMMV

I don't know, how about:
The Broken Circle ranch?
The Six Arches ranch?

bonus points for annoying RSO with pronunciation!
Obviously this isn't about me, but I for one wouldn't want to do that. My name causes LCOs enough trouble without adding a hard to pronounce rocket name.

I knew the forum wouldn't let me down. You guys are awesome. Many great options & a hard choice to make. Tic, toc, tic, toc. I'm down to the wire with the launch beginning 9am Saturday.

Back