Naive Chute Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Major Tom, welcome to the forum. I used to have one of those but I never had a rocket big enough for it. I think I left it at the old house when I moved. I believe it could have some applications, but I'll let others who are more experienced with HPR give you the scoop. Again, welcome to the forum.

Looks like it would work as a 36" chute. I would suspect it's a little heavy compared to most chutes used in rockets, but....

Try it!

I think I will order one and mull over the risk....At worst, I could use it to get my worthless butt back in shape (I suspect I'm a little heavy compared to most rocketeers!) thanks!

Major Tom, welcome to the forum. I used to have one of those but I never had a rocket big enough for it. I think I left it at the old house when I moved. I believe it could have some applications, but I'll let others who are more experienced with HPR give you the scoop. Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I love the LPR and MPR's, but I have already crossed them off of my bucket list! Thanks for the welcome!

It looks like if you used it on a Rocket, its Cross Section, viewed horizontally, would make it like a Sail. Pray for no Wind, or add many Spill Holes.
Any Wind would push it sideways more so than a conventional Chute.

It looks like if you used it on a Rocket, its Cross Section, viewed horizontally, would make it like a Sail. Pray for no Wind, or add many Spill Holes.
Any Wind would push it sideways more so than a conventional Chute.

I don't think that is correct. Any chute will come down with NO horizontal velocity relative to the wind. In other words, all chutes will drop with a ground speed equal to the wind speed. It doesn't matter if there is a large cross section or not. They all drop in a still air mass because they are moving at the same speed as the air mass.

Bottom line, you won't have to walk any further to get this chute then any other of the same size and drag.

Looks like it would work as a 36" chute. I would suspect it's a little heavy compared to most chutes used in rockets, but....

Try it!

While it may well be a bit heavy for a smaller HPR, I think it would make a great drogue chute for a large, heavy HPR because it will not tangle.

Bob

A guy in our club used one close to the picture for his main chute, I think it was around a 7' chute. The chute would not open very well. The only thing we could guess that there was not a fast enough decent to move air through the netting material. I have abut a 14" one here right now and it is not ripstop nylon. And not very well made. Check it out it may work very well.

Back