N10,000?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microspeed

Reaction score
Just happened upon this video today:
Pro98 6G N10,000 Vmax

[YOUTUBE]UVaPMWLKOWQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmm.

To be honest, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that kind of power. Amazing!

Then again... it's nothing that 833 D12's couldn't do. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that kind of power. Amazing!

Then again... it's nothing that 833 D12's couldn't do. :rolleyes:

It's all relative to what you're exposed to.

Having grown up with Estes motors in the 70s, I can remember the first time I laid my hands on an H motor. "Holy cow, this thing is huge!" is what I thought, at the time.

Now, at big organized launches, M motors are "no big deal."

All that said, though, not much that beats watching my 6 year old with Estes motors. :) We'll take three rockets, and he can fly 'em as fast as I can prep 'em.

-Kevin

I remember when high power really started, and everyone would gather around to see an "H" motor fired...

That is just incredible..

Add another grain & you'll come close to the legendary O 10,000 by Kosdon. It burns for about 2.3 sec for comparison sake.

JD

Should be neat to see what kind of rockets get built around that motor. Low and slow/ don't blink/ clustered/ staged.

Actually, I'd pay admission just to watch 'em blast that driveway clear of snow.

Last edited:
If I had the means, I'd go for Boosted dart....

JD

Should be neat to see what kind of rockets get built around that motor. Low and slow/ don't blink/ clustered/ staged.

Actually, I'd pay admission just to watch 'em blast that driveway clear of snow.

Does anyone know how to make a rocksim motor file on this engine, I want to see what are some of the possible speeds I can get out this motor. I can't wait for a file to surface!!

Does anyone know how to make a rocksim motor file on this engine, I want to see what are some of the possible speeds I can get out this motor. I can't wait for a file to surface!!

It might not even be all that close, but this should tide you over until Cesaroni releases it in an official update. I based the performance off of the thrust curve shape of the only other 98mm 3G M4770-Vmax, the total impulse off of the ratio between the M4770 and the 3G M1520-BS as compared to the 6G N2850-BS with the hypothetical 6G Vmax. The average thrust came from the video (~10,000), the dimensions from the 6G case, and various propellant and burnout weights from comparisons with other 6G motors to their 3G analogs.

All that in mind, here you are:

A preliminary test in a minimum length/diameter/weight (no recovery device, or room for one) simmed to right around 3000 MPH--probably optimistic but still enticing :)

View attachment CTI-N10000proto.rse

98mm MaxV.png

View attachment 98mm MaxV.rkt

Try the N5800 in your sim. It has almost twice the total impulse. The speed might be ever higher.
Jeroen

Boosted darts?

Again, it isn't a practical design safety-wise... the mass of the upper stage has been optimized and sized based on it being a solid stick of tungsten. According to RockSim, if it were allowed to recover ballistically it would impact at ~1200 MPH and have ~1.2 megajoules of energy to dissipate.

98mm Boosted Dart.png

I just simmed it in my L3 rocket:

16,600 feet, mach 1.75, and 70 ( :y: ) gees off the pad.

Back