N-1 Paper Model Conversion Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedleytedley

Reaction score
Well I can't procrastinate any longer so it's time to get started. The build is a Currell Models 1/100 scale paper model of the Soviet's ill-fated Moon rocket. I'm considering several different options; a single stage with six 18mm mounts in the scale positions, a two-stage with the same motor configuration for the booster and a 24mm at the third stage location on the real thing, and possibly a two stage with six 18mm plus 24 13mm in the scale locations. Another possibility would be to use the ring of nozzles in the first stage as a powder ejector to simulate firing motors.
The upper cylindrical portion of the rocket is large enough to fit a BT-70 tube so I plan to use a BT-70 core through most of the rocket. The paper model has several bulkheads to maintain the shape that will be reinforced with 1/16 thick plywood rings to join to the BT-70 core. This should give it the rigidity to withstand flight and recovery. The model is printed on a thin cardstock similar to photo paper.
I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you might have. Ted

rockets and stuff 2 001.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 002.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 003.jpg

I can hardly wait!

The N1 is one of my favorites.

You get this one done and I'll send you the wraps for the 19 foot version I upscaled and sent to a friend who was going to try it. It never came to pass because of pesky llama bites.

I can hardly wait!

You get this one done and I'll send you the wraps for the 19 foot version I upscaled and sent to a friend who was going to try it. It never came to pass because of pesky llama bites.

And I still have those!
Liked to have never found a place big enough to store them.
:jaw:

And I still have those!
Liked to have never found a place big enough to store them.
:jaw:

The problem is the storage. It would take up so much less space after built and flown.:rolleyes:

Unless of course your launch goes better than the Soviets. Then you'll need a place to put the assembled rocket. Sometimes its nice to have problems.:D

I can hardly wait!

It's a deal! Have you seen the youtube video of the very large N-1 complete with the Soviet anthem? Now that's cool! If I had those wraps I'd have to get certified.
Regarding the build I'm leaning toward using foam hemispheres for the tank tops instead of the paper for a more scale appearance. Also I'm planning to reinforce the interstage lattices with bamboo slivers. For the launch lug I think that putting it all the way through the center will be best since the rod will have to go through the body somewhere and that will preserve the scale look.
For staging the lower stage will drag separate activating a switch in the sustainer's base to fire the motors. I've found that sustainer motors cause a lot of damage to the booster when in contact at ignition. A paper model like this one would probably catch fire if in contact at staging. I'm planning to use Q2G2's for igniting the upper motors. I've had reliable ignition of a single motor using a single AA. Does anyone know how many Q2G2s could light off a single 9-volt? Ted

great idea with the central launch lug !

With it being a cluster you would have room to center the lug/tube and it could serve as a structural piece as well, mabey a piece of aluminum arrow shaft.

I would never have thought of that !

I came up with the idea of the centered launch lug for my "Vortex Generator". It has a passage through the middle to duct air to the MMT area. There is a build thread for it in scratchbuilt.
For the N-1 I don't think a passage through it less than 1/4 inch dia. shouldn't cause much additional drag. The tip won't have a point of course but it's a difference I can live with. Ted

Back