Mythbusters...Ooops!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsmith

Reaction score
Anybody see the Mythbusters episode with the Turkish rocket myth? Aerojet sent a rep. with a 2 grain motor, looked like a 5" case, maybe a fast "m". It was supposed to be the equivilent of 140 pounds of black powder. They hit the button and it gets about 300' in the air and develops a front closure failure. Burned a 12" hole in the side of the rocket. They called it a successful launch. How many successful launches result in a burn through on the airframe? I almost never cheer when I see flames coming out the side of a rocket.

Yeah I caught that too. If it had not catoe'd they might have made the 1000 feet.

You think if we gripe enough they will do a revisit? I'll volunteer to build the a good motor!

I like it when they say "we're what you call experts".:rolleyes:

Not when it comes to rocketry and it shows. Maybe when they test rocket myths, they should consult some "experts" to provide decent motors (not just propellant) that will work right the first time.;)

I thought it was odd that they didn't mention the motor failure, it was clearly the cause of the thing going out of control. I liked that you could see the gaping hole in the side of the sheet metal airframe but they didn't say a thing about it!

Is it any surprise that the forward closure failed? Did anyone notice that it was bolted on? I imagine there was some sort of gasket failure.

Is it any surprise that the forward closure failed? Did anyone notice that it was bolted on? I imagine there was some sort of gasket failure.

Yep, that and you could see when the forward end failed when the flame coming out the nozzle suddenly changed shape.

Also, I think the case might have burned through. From what I could tell, there was no liner tube used - the grains were slid directly into the case.

Clearly there was a fault with Grant's motor case.

I wonder if anyone will tackle this themselves and try it at BALLS or other EX launch.;)

Back