"Mythbusters" explosion rocks town (Everybody is OK)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Found elsewhere, I know no more than this:

https://www.kcra.com/cnn-news/19016582/detail.htm

Mythbusters 'Big Bang' Shatters Windows
Residents Rocked In Yolo County

YOLO COUNTY, Calif. -- A big explosion, in the name of science, scared
a lot of people in a small town.

Mythbusters went to Yolo County and ended up with a bigger bang than
expected.

"It was a boom that was just -- I had never heard anything like that
before, it was really weird," said Sherril Stephens.

The explosion was so big it shook the town of Esparto, knocking
Stephens off her couch and breaking her front window.

"Course all the neighbors ran out into the street. We didn't know what
was going on," said Paul Williams, who heard the explosion.

Some people said they thought it was a plane crash, others, a house
explosion.

The smoke and dust rose from the site about a mile from town.

It turns out the Discovery channel's Mythbusters were taping an
episode there.

They were trying to literally "knock the socks off" a mannequin by
igniting 500 pounds of ammonium nitrate. But the explosion was a lot
bigger than they expected.

"It felt like a house blew up, straight up," said Paul Williams.

Williams was working at local school when he said he heard and felt
the big boom.

"We were just scrambling to find out what was going on because we got
kids out on the playground," Williams said.

Williams said the school and others in town should have been notified
the blast was going to happen.

Chief Barry Burns, of Esparto Fire Department, had several
firefighters on hand for the explosion. He said he made the decision
not to notify anyone in town for safety sake.

"Mythbusters is supposed to be a really popular show. Everybody would
have been out there. We would have had to cancel it because it would
have been too dangerous," Burns said.

For most people like Stephens they don't mind the inconvenience.

Stephens' window was replaced that same day compliments of
Mythbusters.

"It was fun, really fun," Stephens said.

Now, she said she can't wait to see the show.

Mythbusters told KCRA 3 they replaced a handful of broken windows.

There is no word on when the episode they taped there will air.

I love how she can go from being terrified to: "It was fun, really fun," lol

At least she has a sense of humor about it.

I'd be honored to have the Mythbusters nearly blow up my town. :D

The fall after I graduated high school, back in '89, I was THOROUGHLY enjoying sleeping in til about 9-10 every day, getting to just roll over and laugh as the schoolbus went by outside my window and I didn't have to get up and get on it. I was half awake at a little after 8 or so and not really wanting to get up yet, so I was still lying in bed. Suddenly, there was a distinct "THUMP" and the house felt like it moved about an inch south for a second, because my bedframe (heavy oak) hit the wall about an inch away, and it 'shoved' me over in bed. I got up and went outside (the door was 3 feet from my bed) and I looked around, half expecting to see a mushroom cloud or something somewhere. I walked out into the cotton field and looked around in every direction, nothing seemed amiss so I went back in and watched TV awhile.

A little while later they broke in with a news bulletin-- there had been a HUGE natural gas explosion up near Dime Box, I think it was, over west of College Station, about 100 miles north of us. Apparently, there was a large exhausted natural gas field there that was being used to store natural gas from the pipelines. They simply pump the natural gas back down the wells and use the old reservior as a 'storage tank'. (There's one of these not ten miles from my house actually) Apparently, there had been a BAD leak overnight, and it was a cool, very still night with no wind, and the rolling hill terrain there had allowed a HUGE pool of natural gas (which is heavier than air, and odorless as it comes out of the well-- the 'stench agent' is added later so people can smell gas leaks) to accumulate and fill up a small valley near the facility. As people got up and started heading for work, nobody knew there was any danger, and folks started heading out. Two or three cars made it through the cloud, but then a vehicle ignited it. The explosion was equal to several kilotons of yield and completely demolished a small housing addition a mile or so away, I mean just NUKED it... like F5 tornado style... several people were killed IIRC.

The shock wave was so powerful it set up a ground shock that rocked our house 100 miles south! So now I know what a kiloton-yield ground tremor feels like... OL JR

The fall after I graduated high school, back in '89, I was THOROUGHLY enjoying sleeping in til about 9-10 every day, getting to just roll over and laugh as the schoolbus went by outside my window and I didn't have to get up and get on it. I was half awake at a little after 8 or so and not really wanting to get up yet, so I was still lying in bed. Suddenly, there was a distinct "THUMP" and the house felt like it moved about an inch south for a second, because my bedframe (heavy oak) hit the wall about an inch away, and it 'shoved' me over in bed. I got up and went outside (the door was 3 feet from my bed) and I looked around, half expecting to see a mushroom cloud or something somewhere. I walked out into the cotton field and looked around in every direction, nothing seemed amiss so I went back in and watched TV awhile.

A little while later they broke in with a news bulletin-- there had been a HUGE natural gas explosion up near Dime Box, I think it was, over west of College Station, about 100 miles north of us. Apparently, there was a large exhausted natural gas field there that was being used to store natural gas from the pipelines. They simply pump the natural gas back down the wells and use the old reservior as a 'storage tank'. (There's one of these not ten miles from my house actually) Apparently, there had been a BAD leak overnight, and it was a cool, very still night with no wind, and the rolling hill terrain there had allowed a HUGE pool of natural gas (which is heavier than air, and odorless as it comes out of the well-- the 'stench agent' is added later so people can smell gas leaks) to accumulate and fill up a small valley near the facility. As people got up and started heading for work, nobody knew there was any danger, and folks started heading out. Two or three cars made it through the cloud, but then a vehicle ignited it. The explosion was equal to several kilotons of yield and completely demolished a small housing addition a mile or so away, I mean just NUKED it... like F5 tornado style... several people were killed IIRC.

The shock wave was so powerful it set up a ground shock that rocked our house 100 miles south! So now I know what a kiloton-yield ground tremor feels like... OL JR

That's scary considering I live VERY close to a LNG storage area.

Back in the summer of 2006 a boat carrying gasoline caught on fire and spread to a pier that is only 900 feet from the LNG tank. Very close call.

Back