Mythbusters' Build-Team is Coming Soon (Netflix)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
It looks like Kari, Tory, and Grant are on their way back to the small screen.

netflikwhiterabbit.jpg

https://nerdist.com/the-build-team-from-mythbusters-are-coming-back-with-a-netflix-show/

Greg

Any clue what the premise is?

via https://deadline.com/2016/09/netfli...lity-series-mythbusters-producers-1201812999/

Byron, Belleci and Imahara will be using their scientific sleuth skills honed on Mythbusters for White Rabbit Project. In the Netflix series, the three head down the rabbit hole to investigate weird and wonderful events from pop culture, science and history. Under their microscope are topics as diverse as jailbreaks, superpower technology, heists and crazy world war two weapons. In each episode the hosts immerse themselves in experiments, builds and tests as they sleuth the truth behind these and other well googled themes.

Greg

Thanks. So, it's Mythbusters without the myths. I don't have/want Netflix, but this might be worth getting at the library after it comes out on DVD.

You mean Kari? She's a talented artist, but certainly not a scientist. But she's always willing to puke or fart when necessary. :wink:

You mean Kari? She's a talented artist, but certainly not a scientist. But she's always willing to puke or fart when necessary. :wink:

You know, you are right. I'd pick this nerd any day over Kari. Her tech acumen on Attack of the Show was mind blowing!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473260564.918064.jpg

Ok, got my eyes back in my head..

Who is that?!

As for the "mythbusters" reincarnate, I never really thought any of them had a scientific approach to 'sleuthing' myths or the like, or even a scientific approach period.. They (grant) can make calculations, but their experiments always seemed to be some crazy idea.. That always lead to it being blown up in the end.. (and really, isn't that all we really want anyways?!)

Mythbusters started off as really cool. Somewhere in the middle of it all they turned into reality TV and any pretense of 'scientific method' went out the window in favor of epic fail or epic bang.

Hopefully the new incarnation will get in touch with it's roots.

I think it depends on your definition of science. Did they follow the scientific method to arrive at their conclusions? I think so, most of the time. Now, I think where they often fell short was in the "Gather data to test predictions" step. Their data gathering was limited and sometimes flawed. But that doesn't mean it's not science.

The cool thing about Mythbusters, though, is that they analyzed things that no other scientist would care to test, and sometimes those things had practical applications. For instance, every time I see a pick-up truck going down the road with its tailgate hanging open, I think to myself, "Ah ha! You are actually hurting your gas mileage, rather than helping it," because I learned that on Mythbusters.

And I loved it every time they debunked the special effects in movies and TV shows. Who else is going to do that?

Ok, got my eyes back in my head..

Who is that?!

What? Every nerd should know Olivia Munn (girlfriend of star quarterback Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay Packer's fame).

[YOUTUBE]637kfwzw2Ew[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Thanks Wiki, now I know! But I must admit, I never knew her or seen her (acknowledged her), possible because I don't watch those shows....

I think it depends on your definition of science. Did they follow the scientific method to arrive at their conclusions? I think so, most of the time. Now, I think where they often fell short was in the "Gather data to test predictions" step. Their data gathering was limited and sometimes flawed. But that doesn't mean it's not science.

The cool thing about Mythbusters, though, is that they analyzed things that no other scientist would care to test, and sometimes those things had practical applications. For instance, every time I see a pick-up truck going down the road with its tailgate hanging open, I think to myself, "Ah ha! You are actually hurting your gas mileage, rather than helping it," because I learned that on Mythbusters.

And I loved it every time they debunked the special effects in movies and TV shows. Who else is going to do that?

And a lot of the times they would have busted their budget well before they busted the myth if they had really done the scientific method properly. They took a lot of shortcuts that made many of their conclusions pretty iffy, but they had to balance science, geekiness, cost and entertainment and I think they did that well.

+1 on the tailgate thing!

...they had to balance science, geekiness, cost and entertainment and I think they did that well.

That's exactly it. Every TV show has to entertain within the budget. I noticed that if their scientific results weren't entertaining they would go with the "Now let's try this with C4 and see what happens!" thing. It's the balance between geek/science/explosions that made it entertaining.

For this new show I hope they find another good balance. Good to see the "interns" have their own show. On a side note, it always seemed to me that Grant was the brains, where Kari and Tory were more of the the guinea pigs.

Wasn't there some 'issues' with Kari (and crew) & a past LDRS?

Sounds like Al has some stories. :wink:

I have heard that all they wanted to show was odd rocs, like a giant outhouse or a phone booth. Regular 3FNC and 4FNC were considered "too boring." Not a good way to ingratiate yourselves to the fliers.

The odd rocs are what sells TV. The average person starts flipping channels after 2-3 three regular rockets.

The exception to that rule is the NASCAR rule. "If you have crashes, they will watch."

The odd rocs are what sells TV. The average person starts flipping channels after 2-3 three regular rockets.

The exception to that rule is the NASCAR rule. "If you have crashes, they will watch."

So staged for TV, high power odd roc crashes are still the best? Get good reviews in the Trades! Bad reviews on the forums.:(

Back