Mystery rocket

Discussion in 'Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)' started by jet flyer, Sep 15, 2010.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1

jet flyer

jet flyer

jet flyer

Hello, I am new to the fourems here, hope to use this a lot.
    My JROTC unit (TX-958 Bowie h.S. Austin, TX)has a rocket for the rocketry team that I am trying to prepare for compitetion, I will post pictures later when I can. I don't know what it is, it is about 4.5-5.5 feet tall and looks simalar to a Saturun 1-B there are 7 D-engine sized tubes at about the lower quarter of the rocket and they all have (had) mounts. along with what it is, I would like help with the best way to hook up more than one engine. I put this in the mid-power because it can use up to 7 D's if equiped properly. Thanks for any help. I will post more later when I get home.

2. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Cluster King

Cluster King

Cluster King

Dude,

7 D's will be high pwr.

3. Sep 15, 2010 #3

jet flyer

jet flyer

jet flyer

yes, I was only saying that that would be the maximum, we would only use 3 C's or 2 B and a D for the center

4. Sep 16, 2010 #4

dave carver

dave carver

dave carver

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Big question here is how much does it weigh? 6 C's and a D keep you under 80 Newtons and 7 D's is under 140 Newtons total. You might need all of that just to lift the rocket.

5. Sep 16, 2010 #5

jet flyer

jet flyer

jet flyer

It took off just fine with two D's. Actually, let me tell you what happened. We (the rocketry team) only had 2 D's and we had to get another D from the school next to us at the competition, when we launched it it went ~250-300 feet, then corkscrewed and (amazingly) deployed the chute right before any damage was done. When we looked at it only 2 out of the 3 engines had lit. I figure the engine from tho other school did't light as fast as the other 2 because of the different storage conditions, so, since it was an outboard engine, the uneven thrust made it spin. We actually got 1st in the exhibition even with the malfunction. the corkscrew really added to the flight I guess, lol. I will post exact measurements, pictures, and maybe the video of the flight when I have the time

6. Sep 16, 2010 #6

MarkII

MarkII

MarkII

Just a shot in the dark, but by any chance does the rocket happen to look like this?

[​IMG]

7. Sep 16, 2010 #7

jet flyer

jet flyer

jet flyer

That's not it, my rocket has 6 fins slightly larger in relitive size to the saturn 1 fins, the 7 tubes don't exceed the diamiter if the tube above, and the uper quarter or third is smaller, like an upper stage.

8. Sep 16, 2010 #8

JAL3

JAL3

JAL3

That was my guess!

--------

EDIT: then I remembered that the Hydra is 7x18mm and I had to think about it to get the Sat IB likeness.

9. Sep 16, 2010 #9

astrowolf67

astrowolf67

astrowolf67

Sounds like possibly an Estes Rubicon.

2189lg.jpg

10. Sep 17, 2010 #10

astrowolf67

astrowolf67

astrowolf67

11. Sep 17, 2010 #11

CharlaineC

CharlaineC

CharlaineC

its the rubicon i think

12. Sep 17, 2010 #12

jet flyer

jet flyer

jet flyer

It's taller than the Rubicon. Actually astrowolf67, that looks almost exactly like it! just the fins are a right triangle instead of the diamond.
    Now who knows the best way to hook up multiple B-D size motors (mostly 3-4, up to7), and what launch system I would need. links would help also, thanks all of you for the help!
    I doubt it, but are F engines the same diameter as D's? i haven't seen one up close.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010