Mystery Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a mystery altimeter I have from another rocketeer. I'd like to find out information about it so I can test it and see if it is still working. I believe it would be circa 1999-2001 time range from what I know about his time in rocketry. It is a dual deploy design of some sort and it possibly was a kit, but I'm not sure. The large capacitor on the front was obviously replaced and is not original. There are green wires that appear to have been added as some sort of jumper, possibly for an external arming switch. On the back, the letters AGCO are in the lower left, a serial number 'D26' is scribed on the upper right and the numbers '3-6'2k' are near the middle.

Any ideas what altimeter this is?

Thanks for any help.

Sandy.

mystery alt top.JPG

mystery alt bottom.jpg

Looks like transolve. But my P6K looks different. maybe an older version?

I'm not telling any tales out of school, but the schematic for the first iteration of the Transolve was published in a radio/electronics hobby magazine and he admitted as much to me over a phone call. The great part about that was he was an avionics wizard who had access to all the calibration tools he needed to make them accurate. This could have been one of those units built by a hobbiest from those plans.

The P6K, or at least the one I assembled for someone, didn't have SMD that I recall, and there are two SMD components on the back side of this board. That extra resistor is also looks like a mod.

-Kevin

Looks like it has a pushbutton in top right of first pic, if so not a Transolve part (at least any I know of).

Thanks for the input. I think this is a PML (Transolve) P5. It took some searching, but I found a pic of a P2 on John Coker's site and it looked similar in construction, but obviously wrong. I then found this review https://www.rocketreviews.com/public-missiles-pml-sudden-rush--by-barry-lynch.html which had a picture of the same altimeter.

I have not been able to locate any other good pictures of the altimeter or a manual. I have tried sending an e-mail to the address I had for Transolve and also one to PML, but don't know if that route will be successful or not.

Thanks for the help identifying this.

Sandy.

Back