Mysterious Metal Monolith Found in Utah (I'm not kidding)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this is "in my neighborhood". Very close to where I live (relatively to you all anyway). And I hike in these canyons regularly.
It has been known about for a while by some of us locals.
It is real and not a hoax. Really. Trust me. Would I be sly about such a thing?

Some of the info being stated about it's location is not exactly correct.
It is certainly "pretty far out there", but it is not quite so remote as is being claimed, nor is it in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.
Yes I do know "exactly where it is", but no I will not assist you in getting there, nor will I confirm anyone's guesses or theories about it's actual location.

One thing (in actual seriousness) I would like to say though is that this area is being completely hammered by idiots tearing up the desert. WAY too many yahoos getting their thrills trashing the place. PLEASE....the last thing we need is to attract even more hordes of douchebags ripping around doing even more damage just to add one more "experience" to their list of things they did (and posted a selfie of themselves on social media) to show everyone how cool they were. Really, DO NOT come here on some stupid adventure to find this thing. So, it's out there and it's unique.....but so what? Do you really need to go see it for yourselves, just to add one more "did it" to your list. Check it out online, see the photos and videos that have already been posted (and there will be more I'm sure), and feel the sense of wonder, and yes even "coolness", but don't be one more in the line of idiots out there trashing the place just to take your selfie with it. I'm sure you can still lead a full and "awesome" life even if you don't have a picture of yourself standing next to this. And please, please, please, anyone who gets the idea that doing something like this yourself (just to show how unique, creative, and interesting you yourself are).....just don't.

For what it's worth, while I obviously have some negative views on this thing, yes even I have a part of me that thinks it's pretty cool.

No, I will not post a picture of myself next to it. Besides, maybe the whole thing is a hoax, right?

s6
I agree with You stealth6! Besides with today's computer program, One can put oneself in a picture next to it...complete with Your shadow falling on/or beside it. In fact, I TOTALLY agree with You. For those who want to go out there, trust me, there are other, more important things to do and to go to. Chgers

HAL : [on Dave's return to the ship, after he has killed the rest of the crew] Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this.

Mike

Attachments

• 76937fdd0280fdb0ae9b77aa85b7fcf4.jpg
    76937fdd0280fdb0ae9b77aa85b7fcf4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14
Well the land had more protections but an ape took that protection away... Soon after monolith installed..

Hey Stealth!

Is the land that this monument sits on in a park or not? If it is, then why shouldn't people be allowed to go look at it? Don't understand how walking on baked, desert earth is going to "tear it up". The thing is not located on the slope of some 10,000 foot high delicate alpine forest. Your post comes across as elitist.

If I ever make it out that way, despite my idiotic douchebag status (apparent), I'll be certain to check it out and encourage anyone else who wants to see it to do the same. Parks are for everyone, not just the self appointed guardians who want it all to themselves.

So, this is "in my neighborhood". Very close to where I live (relatively to you all anyway). And I hike in these canyons regularly.
It has been known about for a while by some of us locals.
It is real and not a hoax. Really. Trust me. Would I be sly about such a thing?

Some of the info being stated about it's location is not exactly correct.
It is certainly "pretty far out there", but it is not quite so remote as is being claimed, nor is it in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.
Yes I do know "exactly where it is", but no I will not assist you in getting there, nor will I confirm anyone's guesses or theories about it's actual location.

One thing (in actual seriousness) I would like to say though is that this area is being completely hammered by idiots tearing up the desert. WAY too many yahoos getting their thrills trashing the place. PLEASE....the last thing we need is to attract even more hordes of douchebags ripping around doing even more damage just to add one more "experience" to their list of things they did (and posted a selfie of themselves on social media) to show everyone how cool they were. Really, DO NOT come here on some stupid adventure to find this thing. So, it's out there and it's unique.....but so what? Do you really need to go see it for yourselves, just to add one more "did it" to your list. Check it out online, see the photos and videos that have already been posted (and there will be more I'm sure), and feel the sense of wonder, and yes even "coolness", but don't be one more in the line of idiots out there trashing the place just to take your selfie with it. I'm sure you can still lead a full and "awesome" life even if you don't have a picture of yourself standing next to this. And please, please, please, anyone who gets the idea that doing something like this yourself (just to show how unique, creative, and interesting you yourself are).....just don't.

For what it's worth, while I obviously have some negative views on this thing, yes even I have a part of me that thinks it's pretty cool.

No, I will not post a picture of myself next to it. Besides, maybe the whole thing is a hoax, right?

s6

Hey Stealth!...
Your post comes across as elitist.

If I ever make it out that way, despite my idiotic douchebag status (apparent), I'll be certain to check it out and encourage anyone else who wants to see it to do the same. Parks are for everyone, not just the self appointed guardians who want it all to themselves.
And how do you think your post comes across?

I think the issue is that IF it is a park or preserve, there are general rules. Normally with regards to natural areas the rule is "Leave no trace" so the future visitors CAN see the area as it exists.
That kind of goes out the window when others elevate their own status and start to change the natural environment. Not that much difference between that and graffiti.

Last edited:
Umm, as someone who doesn't like to be told what to do by those not in a position to do so?
I see how you got that from the original post.
Maybe he could have worded it differently.

But the fact remains that IF it is a park or preserve then placing the item there probably does violate a codified rule or law.
The intent of those rules is again, to preserve what is there for the benefit of all.

By taking the liberty of making a man-made change to an area like that, no matter how barren it appears, is violating the very "right" that you object to having violated.
If you wanted to go observe the rock formation in its natural state, then the placer of the "monolith" just took that away from you.
Does that make sense?

There is a place for art and a place for preservation so that all can be enjoyed.

Bowman,

I don't agree with or support the idea of random hooligans placing monuments in national parks, and nothing in my post says that I do. Whether the monument is there or not, I can go look at it if I like without worrying being called an idiotic douchebag for exercising my right to do so.

Perhaps I don't clearly understand the point Stealth was trying to make, but it sounds like he wants no one in the park, if they are going to look at the monument, or going to look at some unique rock formation.

That is what I'm pushing back against. That and the notion that anyone who wants to visit that area is an idiotic douchebag of course.

If it is, then why shouldn't people be allowed to go look at it?

I agree that parks are for everyone, but some things need to be considered when masses of people attempt to travel through inhospitable terrain. Recently Denali removed the bus that was popularized by the book/film Into the Wild because too many people who were (ironically) unprepared to venture into the Wilderness were needing rescued. It out too much of a strain on the local towns and park staff, so they removed the bus. I could see this Monolith becoming the same way.

This thought isn't even addressing people who are disrespectful to the environment out of ignorance or spite. The Instagram "influencer" who filmed himself defecating in a pristine Colorado lake, people who don't pack out what the bring in, people squatting in park visitor centers, toppling over rock formations, etc...

The article I read said it is in a park, and the perps didn’t ask for permission.

If it was an indie movie production, they wasted their time because someone’s gonna see it in the movie and they’ll ask for the crews permit. Otherwise, the appreciation is added to the end of the credits if they had a permit.

Regardless, the Parks will need to hire a helicopter to remove the monolith just like the Denali bus.

Sadly, Folks, whomever did this is sitting back laughing at us for getting upset about this. I sure loathe the fool(s) who dissed the landscape with it. If people can make Pro quality classic Trek episodes on a soundstage, Then these people certainly could have photographed the area, and put the monolith there and photographed it and NO park land could have been damaged. Talk about being inconsiderate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, Folks, whomever did this is sitting back laughing at us for getting upset about this. I sure loathe the fool(s) who dissed the landscape with it. If people can make Pro quality classic Trek episodes on a soundstage, Then these people certainly could have photographed the area, and put the monolith there and photographed it and NO park land could have been damaged. Talk about being inconsiderate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well there is a difference between "getting upset" and speaking out.
If you don't speak out when something doesn't seem right, it eventually becomes accepted as OK.

@rklapp, One of my favorite films. I enjoy Tim Allen's channeling of Bill Shatner's look and movement in a "Shatner 2.0". After Jaqui runs any of the ST movies with Shatner, I run "Galaxy Quest". Ansd in this day and age, We all need a good laugh or 12.

@rklapp, One of my favorite films. I enjoy Tim Allen's channeling of Bill Shatner's look and movement in a "Shatner 2.0". After Jaqui runs any of the ST movies with Shatner, I run "Galaxy Quest". Ansd in this day and age, We all need a good laugh or 12.
Amazon Prime has a great documentary on the making of the movie. There was a children's movie released at the time that made lots of money, so the studio decided to childrenize Galaxy Quest. They changed Weaver's line, "f*ck that" to "screw that". You can tell when you watch the chomper scene. Everyone agrees that it's funnier with the voice over.

Amazon Prime has a great documentary on the making of the movie. There was a children's movie released at the time that made lots of money, so the studio decided to childrenize Galaxy Quest. They changed Weaver's line, "f*ck that" to "screw that". You can tell when you watch the chomper scene. Everyone agrees that it's funnier with the voice over.
Get the disc and explore the audio options. It's freakin' hilarious. Funniest thing I've ever heard.

@ heada. Thanks, I didn't know about the documentary. I'll have to get it. As far as the voice over, I agree, it IS freaking hilarious!!!!!! I keep hearing rumors that Tim Allen is trying to get a sequel going. I hope He does. Right now, however, I'm trying to complete my comic book collection of G.A.

The article I read said it is in a park, and the perps didn’t ask for permission.

If it was an indie movie production, they wasted their time because someone’s gonna see it in the movie and they’ll ask for the crews permit. Otherwise, the appreciation is added to the end of the credits if they had a permit.

Regardless, the Parks will need to hire a helicopter to remove the monolith just like the Denali bus.

I heard it was near the Canyonlands park, but not in it. Most likely it is publicly owned land, even if not technically a park, and I’m sure whoever did it did not get permission.

I think it was probably built by one of Westworld’s robotic hosts after they all went berserk. Some became killer robots, and others became rogue artists with no regard for the sanctity of public lands.

I heard it was near the Canyonlands park, but not in it. Most likely it is publicly owned land, even if not technically a park, and I’m sure whoever did it did not get permission.

I think it was probably built by one of Westworld’s robotic hosts after they all went berserk. Some became killer robots, and others became rogue artists with no regard for the sanctity of public lands.
LOL

Back