Mylar Parachute Making/Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mkmilion

Reaction score
I've never ran into a problem such as this: I had an extra D12-3 lying around and a lonely Big Daddy. So I thought, "what the heck this bird wants to fly". Not to mention I wanted to try out my new Thrustline 24" Black Mylar 'chute out. Well the flight when well until ejection. Basically so much heat and pressure wounded the the 'chute. It wasn't the 'chute's fault, because the last time it flew the result was a tree top landing. I couldn't climb it at the time because I had just gotten my finger crushed at work and had a splint. So I ended up waiting 1 1/2 weeks. It had swelled from sitting through two thunder storms. I repaired and had believed I sanded it enough, but I guess not. Thus the heat and pressure and stuff.
As for my question: It seem that I could probably cut out a 16" 'chute from the remains. I was wondering how do I go about doing this? What tools/techniques are invovled? I know on a FlisKits 'chute it's already pre-lined for you. So if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I must appollogize for the fact that you had to read through the story to get to the questions.

Thanks again,
Ed

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by mkmilion
As for my question: It seem that I could probably cut out a 16" 'chute from the remains. I was wondering how do I go about doing this? What tools/techniques are invovled? I know on a FlisKits 'chute it's already pre-lined for you. So if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Fold it in half, and then either in thirds (for a 6 shroud) or twice double (for 8). Trim off only as much as you have to: figure out how much, and measure the same distance on each edge, mark those points and cut across between them. Unfold it and add shrouds.

My problem with mylar chutes is having the stickers not sticking, or letting the shrouds slip out. From now on they get a drop of CyA first.

ravenx99

Reaction score
Originally posted by DynaSoar
My problem with mylar chutes is having the stickers not sticking, or letting the shrouds slip out. From now on they get a drop of CyA first.
I use clear paper hole reinforcements and use a paper punch to punch a hole through the mylar, then tie the shroud line through the hole. I put a drop of CA on the knot. No worries about lines coming lose, and no depending on an adhesive to keep your lines attached.

I won a package of mylar chutes from Rockethead Rockets and they arrived today... they do the exact same thing.