Mylar chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
Ive never used a mylar chute before but i have read many good things about them. As long as you pre-wrinkle and add some talcum powder. I am working on an upgraded c3 build and i am considering either a 9 or 10" mylar chute or 12' mylar streamer. Ive read that most people like to use 1/4 mil. So my question to anyone with experience making these, is this the same cheap mylar blanket that you get from walmart for a few bucks? I couldn't find the thickness in the description. Another thing, is the gold mylar just as good as the silver? If they are the same and both easy to spot, i think i would like the look of the gold better, that's just the nasa look im about :) .

I would think either one is easy to spot. I like the sliver but that's personal preference. Some people use emergency blankets as well. Not sure on the thickness of the blanket maybe a Walmart employee would know?

I think i will just go ahead and get the cheap blanket and maybe a mylar balloon and start to cut out some patterns. I will try to post some pics afterwards.

I've had the balloon thought too. You'll want a plain one as any design where wear off over time.

Back