My Wildman 3X Andromeda Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have flown mine twice with 2.5-3.0 grams worked both times flawlessly
What motor(s) did you fly it with/altitudes did you get? I'm pricing out replacement parts, all the carbon parts seem fine, the tube ends, on the other hand, are not. It might grow slightly in length if it's easier than trimming replacement sections to previous dimensions, we'll see.

What motor(s) did you fly it with/altitudes did you get? I'm pricing out replacement parts, all the carbon parts seem fine, the tube ends, on the other hand, are not. It might grow slightly in length if it's easier than trimming replacement sections to previous dimensions, we'll see.
I have the glass version and flew it on. J415 and J540 .
I don’t know what the altitude was but not high I would guess 1500-2000

Too many, and not enough..! I honestly have no idea, and were it not for Les' build and support here on the forum I might still be building... wait- I AM still building it... 🤣 It is definitely the rocket I have spent the most amount of time working on, ever...

In case anyone is interested, I started cleanup. My friend had already dug out between 10 and 12 inches of dirt back at the launch site. The hard anchor was dented where the motor case slammed into it on impact. It took my long screwdriver, a length of 3/4 inch PVC and some channel locks, not a small amount of swearing to finally clear the remaining dirt out...

IMG_2744.jpgIMG_2745.jpgIMG_2746.jpgIMG_2747.jpgIMG_2748.jpgIMG_2749.jpgIMG_2750.jpgIMG_2751.jpgIMG_2752.jpgIMG_2753.jpg

With parts on the way, I continued removing the hard anchor, cutting the tube just below the damaged section, also removed the carbon rod and standoff from the old tube. I will need to clean the cut, making sure it is square for the coupler and new section. I'm thinking about using Teddy from OneBadHawk's method for access...

https://onebadhawk.com/access-for-the-boosters-eye.html

IMG_2757.jpgIMG_2758.jpgIMG_2759.jpgIMG_2760.jpgIMG_2763.jpgIMG_2764.jpgIMG_2765.jpgIMG_2766.jpgIMG_2767.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

Received parts, so I gave them a wash. I also removed the burrs from the hardpoint anchor, it will be epoxied in just below where the coupler will extend into the fin section, eventually. I used a paper wrap to get a square line (perpendicular?) around the damaged tube, marked it heavy with a Sharpie, and then added a couple of wraps of masking tape right on the straight side of my line- the paper prevents my marker from straying in that direction. I then lightly pulled the hacksaw all the way around the tube a couple of times, making sure to keep it lined up against my tape ring. Once I have a nice groove all the way around the tube, I finish sawing all the way through, and add the coupler and extension piece to verify a nice square cut. More to do, but Monday Night Football takes precedent... You know, life balance... 🤔 😉😁

IMG_2776.jpgIMG_2777.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2780.jpgIMG_2781.jpgIMG_2782.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2784.jpgIMG_2785.jpg

Repairs continued- same methods, failed to tape my paper wrap in place the first time, I think it slipped slightly, enough to make the cut not be square by maybe 1/32" so I cut another short piece off to square it up, ensuring no slippage. Clean up excess epoxy, and I clamp it with aluminum angle to ensure it's straight. Also got the switch band I'm adding this time epoxied to the avionics tube...

IMG_2791.jpgIMG_2792.jpgIMG_2794.jpgIMG_2795.jpgIMG_2796.jpgIMG_2797.jpgIMG_2798.jpgIMG_2799.jpgIMG_2800.jpgIMG_2801.jpg

After realizing I can't make the fin can detachable along the lines of Onebadhawks's access method, I added a loop to the tether to facilitate replacing it, if it becomes necessary. Once the coupler had cured, I ran the kevlar tether through the tube and pulled it so the hardpoint anchor was tight against the coupler and clamped it to keep the kevlar out of any epoxy. Slather it up, add the fin can and clean up the excess, and again clamp for straightness...

IMG_2807.jpgIMG_2808.jpgIMG_2809.jpgIMG_2810.jpgIMG_2811.jpgIMG_2815.jpgIMG_2816.jpgIMG_2818.jpgIMG_2819.jpgIMG_2820.jpg

Disassembled the shredded avionics bay, one bulkhead needed some straightening out. I did some measuring, if I don't trim the repair extensions, the Andromeda grows by a foot and a half, or 18" overall for a total length (height?) of 12'1", or 145 inches. This includes the extra inch of switch band. I will need a couple of 9" pieces of threaded rod as the avionics bay has grown by said inch. I will need to sand down (dremel) the remaining epoxy on the ventral fins and the pod fins, as well as on the pods themselves to facilitate a clean epoxy bond when re-attaching them. Maybe tomorrow. What do you think, should I leave it at the new 12' 1", or trim it back a little to 11' give or take..?

IMG_2840.jpgIMG_2841.jpgIMG_2846.jpgIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2848.jpgIMG_2849.jpgIMG_2850.jpgIMG_2851.jpgIMG_2853.jpgIMG_2854.jpg

Sanded the epoxy clay for a nice smooth fit. I then trimmed the repairs to their final lengths, growing the rocket 7" overall. Drilling the switch, vent and shear pin holes, and re-attaching the pods, ventral fins and rods still remain to be done. Nothing really exciting here, just documenting for completeness...

IMG_2862.jpgIMG_2863.jpgIMG_2864.jpgIMG_2865.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2867.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2869.jpgIMG_2870.jpg

Back