My Wildman 3X Andromeda Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO with some rockets (even after simming and ground testing), one still has to learn the idiosyncrasies of how to fly them. Apart from any potential fragility issues (not to cast aspersions on your clearly excellent building skills of course), I'm thinking this might be a rocket that has a high 'chute gore tangle factor' (unfortunately I can't remember the algebraic expression for that right now, but you get the picture). So a flawless deployment might be something you have to perfect over several flights, trying different sizes of drogue etc. Therefore I'd say if you do use it for your L2 cert flight, get to know it first by flying it on some big L1 motors. Just my £0.02.

Thanks- I haven't played with the sims yet, nor do I have a final weight. I'll assemble it with all the hardware and laundry tomorrow, probably, to get a final mass override. I think I have a choice of chutes in my current possession, but depending on what the scale reveals, I might have to source an appropriately sized main.

Adding a few photos, I still needed to apply the decals to the lower section, and I discovered that the fin decals were just not going to work. I ordered my set right before it was identified that the fins were indeed not scaled a full 3X. Stickershock graciously sent me a fresh set scaled to the actual fin size. While waiting for those was when I did the ground test, and I had to assemble a quick pair of stands to transport it to my friend's house. My yard is just too small for ground testing. That video posted previously, the first test fizzled, although it did burn the powder- so I changed my method by sealing the charge in a baggie corner instead of just tamping in some wadding on top...

IMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpgIMG_2602.jpgIMG_2603.jpgIMG_2604.jpgIMG_2606.jpgIMG_2607.jpgIMG_2609.jpgIMG_2610.jpgIMG_2611.jpg

Back