My Wildman 3X Andromeda Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only because I am showing off the carbon fiber, did I do the masking. I was tempted to just paint it black, as the texture would show through the paint, but I want to see how it looks with both black paint and clear coat showing the carbon fiber. So the masking isn't required, per se... :dontknow:

I have paint, now I need some time, maybe after work this evening, maybe tomorrow. I still need to drill the bulkheads for e-matches. I did assemble the altimeter to the sled. Observant folks will notice I replaced the threaded rod so I could locate the sled properly without it sliding- I could have cut short tubes for spacers but I didn't have two the same diameter...

IMG_9204.JPGIMG_9205.JPGIMG_9206.JPGIMG_9207.JPGIMG_9209.JPGIMG_9210.JPGIMG_9211.JPGIMG_9212.JPGIMG_9214.JPG

Full disclosure, after drying all day, opened the garage door and it was very windy out-it immediately blew both sections over as they were just standing on the tube end and motor retainer. Suffice it to say there were a few scratches, but the dirt did not stick to the paint. some light sanding with 400 grit, and another coat of gloss black, I think it looks pretty good. I'm thinking about maybe doing some accenting, so I'm not unmasking the lower section yet. Here it is after paint repairs...

IMG_9248.JPG

Last edited:
Added some bits to the av bay. I used the bulkhead wire retainer to mark the bulkhead, and verified the distance from the edge. I confirmed it would work for the charge canisters, laid out the marks and used an automatic center punch to ease starting the drill bit. The canister needed a 3/16" hole, so drilled two per bulkhead. Then I drilled out the 'other' hole to 7/16" for the wire retainers...

IMG_9250.JPGIMG_9251.JPGIMG_9252.JPGIMG_9254.JPGIMG_9256.JPGIMG_9257.JPGIMG_9258.JPGIMG_9262.JPG

After being distracted preparing for and flying in our annual night launch, then spending a couple of weekends helping a friend with a major plumbing project, I had a little bit of time to get back to work on the Andromeda. I was going to begin masking for some highlights on the lower section, but getting close revealed more scratches from the fall it had, as well as several small runs in the paint, and other blemishes I had to deal with. So I did a bit more sanding, and touched up several spots then gave it a final coat of black. Not the most exciting, but it is part of this build. The upper section was in fine shape, so I'm including a tease...

IMG_9312.JPGIMG_9313.JPGIMG_9314.JPGIMG_9315.JPGIMG_9316.JPGIMG_9321.JPG

IMG_9275.JPG

Not as much as you might think, but still too much... 🤔 😁 It was only four strips for the long tube, using 3" wide tape. At least I'm almost done, still debating over painting the insides of the "outboard nuclear ram-type engines" with some orange...

Recycled some of the masking tape to mask for some orange, and applied the paint... then saw I failed to mask the chrome strips on one of the pods. And I am totally out of chrome paint, so I have placed another order. So close, and yet so far... :(

IMG_9359.jpgIMG_9360.jpgIMG_9361.jpgIMG_9362.jpgIMG_9365.jpgIMG_9367.jpgIMG_9368.jpgIMG_9369.jpg

Back