My Wildman 3X Andromeda Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all I want to thank Les for his build thread. He pointed out a few things that will help me do a better build. Also thanks to everyone who replied to my recovery thread, got lots of information and ideas from it. The kit was unboxed a while back, and all parts washed. After some good feedback on carbon fiber, I also cleaned up the fin edges.

IMG_8250.JPGIMG_8252.JPGIMG_8549.JPGIMG_8552.JPGIMG_8553.JPGIMG_8557.JPG

The 54mm tube has slots for the conduit stand-offs, so I decided to epoxy them on to facilitate locating the sail fins more easily. This will allow me to use the conduits to position the 3 inch tube the correct distance from the standoffs as well as line up the sail fins...

IMG_8686.JPGIMG_8689.JPGIMG_8690.JPGIMG_8691.JPGIMG_8692.JPG

I marked the 54mm tube at the leading edge of the 3 inch tube with the carbon rod 'conduit' positioned in the sail fin notch and even with the forward edge of the standoff. I used medium CA glue to attach the forward ring ensuring it was square(?) to the tube, and will use Rocketpoxy on the backside for strength. I also marked the 54mm tube using the fin slots in order to locate the fin pockets properly, which is a good solution for fins that do not butt up against the centering rings. Epoxy tomorrow... Now to give my undivided attention to Monday Night Football!!!IMG_8693.JPGIMG_8694.JPGIMG_8695.JPGIMG_8697.JPGIMG_8698.JPGIMG_8700.JPGIMG_8701.JPGIMG_8702.JPGIMG_8703.JPGIMG_8704.JPG

I added some Rocketpoxy internally to the conduit standoff tabs for added strength. The very front I cleaned up due to the need for the coupling to fit. I again used medium CA to attach the rear centering ring, using the Aeropack motor retainer to position it and keep it square followed by more Rocketpoxy...
IMG_8706.JPGIMG_8712.JPGIMG_8713.JPGIMG_8714.JPGIMG_8715.JPGIMG_8717.JPGIMG_8718.JPG

It was nice that the offset for the retainer positioned the centering ring even with the rear of the 3 inch outer tube. I sanded the "radiator" rings, the insides and outsides of the fin slots and I added more Rocketpoxy to the centering rings to attach the outer tube. I mixed up some BSI 30 minute epoxy as it flows better and filled a sail fin pocket after placing the rings in place (no glue on them yet). Inserted the fin, and then using my 1010 rails and some clamps I ensured alignment with the standoffs and now will let that all cure...

IMG_8709.JPGIMG_8710.JPGIMG_8711.JPGIMG_8719.JPGIMG_8720.JPGIMG_8722.JPGIMG_8723.JPGIMG_8724.JPGIMG_8728.JPGIMG_8729.JPG

Im sure you've mentioned this, are you going to paint the tube black and leave the fins bare for clear coating?

My original plan was to just paint it all black. I have been considering just doing a clear on the fins after the feedback/info I got about finishing carbon fiber, but then I would need to mask for the detail pieces. I am currently back to wondering if there is enough surface detail that would show the carbon pattern through paint... So, undecided!

Back