My Wife And I Are Getting Our HAM Radio Licence

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Times they are a changing, and as such we are adapting best we can... The wife and I have decided to go for our Technisian HAM license on the 18th of June, with the free option to take the General test as well. We bought us some no-frill analog radios; his and her Yaesu FT-60R radios w/ extra batteries and antennas etc. I am not planning to make a hobby of this venture, but we will see what kind of use and enjoyment we get from our choices... Definitly a SHTF scenario though.

Good for you! After procrastinating for 55 years I finally took the exams. I found that HamStudy.org was a very effective way for me to learn quickly and with comprehension. It presents the actual questions like flash cards but with links to follow up and learn more about any of the specifics.

I just saw where the question pool has increased the number since I took mine, its up to 424 questions now, use to be 350 in the Technician level, the General also went from 350 to 454 questions. Simply WAY too many..... borderline ridiculous

Last edited:
I just saw where the question pool has increased the number since I took mine, its up to 424 questions now, use to be 350 in the Technician level, the General also went from 350 to 454 questions. Simply WAY too many..... borderline ridiculous
They increased the pool size after the entire pool became public. The test is only 35 questions for Technician class. It’s very easy to study using any of the available materials. Plus, you learn while studying, so there’s that.
Different pools but 35 questions for General class and 50 for Amateur Extra.

Studying when I can, generally after work... Heh! But studying I am. The test is the 18th, we pay the $15 fee, and we can take both the Technician and the General. Still working on the Technician study guides, and hoping I budget enough to get through the General.

As far as the Yaesu FT-60R radio goes, I wanted tried and true, and not any of the fancy bluetooth, download-an-app for this and firmware update that kind of radio. The FT-60R has been around since 2004, and that spoke volumes to me. As far as my research goes, the cases are still made from diecast aluminum too, so look and feel robust.

Anyway, in all honesty, HAM stuff has never interested me. I felt the draw when rocket tracking became a thing, and fliers were recommending you get you HAM license to use some of the high end trackers... yet still I resisted. But when your wife, a calligrapher by hobby and trade, says out-of-the-blue that "I am getting my HAM license..." Well, the game has changed, and I am down.

Back to studying, as I am going to take a couple practice tests, thank you Steve Shannon for the link. My wife has lots of practice test sites as well.

Take the online practice tests. You're ready when you're passing 95% of the time.

But that is just the beginning. Both of you: Get out there and practice using your radios, so there's no mysteries 8n the moment, shtf or not.

BTW the FT60 is an excellent rig. Great choice.

Studying when I can, generally after work... Heh! But studying I am. The test is the 18th, we pay the $15 fee, and we can take both the Technician and the General. Still working on the Technician study guides, and hoping I budget enough to get through the General.

As far as the Yaesu FT-60R radio goes, I wanted tried and true, and not any of the fancy bluetooth, download-an-app for this and firmware update that kind of radio. The FT-60R has been around since 2004, and that spoke volumes to me. As far as my research goes, the cases are still made from diecast aluminum too, so look and feel robust.

Anyway, in all honesty, HAM stuff has never interested me. I felt the draw when rocket tracking became a thing, and fliers were recommending you get you HAM license to use some of the high end trackers... yet still I resisted. But when your wife, a calligrapher by hobby and trade, says out-of-the-blue that "I am getting my HAM license..." Well, the game has changed, and I am down.

Back to studying, as I am going to take a couple practice tests, thank you Steve Shannon for the link. My wife has lots of practice test sites as well.
You can take the extra test at the same time after passing the General test if you want. You only pay one $35 fee each even if you pass all three tests at the same sitting.

Just throwing this out there; but it kind of feels like a whole new world is opening up for us... That is the best way I can explain it. The more I learn, it would seem the more I want to learn about HAM radio.
HAM radio can take you in so many different directions. So much to learn and apply and invent if so inclined.

For studying I used a couple of really old books of questions:
500 Questions for AOCP Candidates
1000 Questions for AOCP Candidates
Using these I found where the holes in my knowledge were and studied the theory to improve those areas. You should be able to find PDFs online of these if you are lucky. Not sure how much difference your tests will be compared to ours.

Just throwing this out there; but it kind of feels like a whole new world is opening up for us... That is the best way I can explain it. The more I learn, it would seem the more I want to learn about HAM radio.
That’s exactly how I felt while studying and now while participating in the hobby. There’s so many different things a person can do with it.

I managed to find a copy of the "1000 Questions for AOCP Candidates" that I used for studying for my license in Australia. Attached for your perusal :) . Very useful for studying for your HAM license.

I do remember there being a couple of typos along the way, and one question at least has no right choice in the answers, just to keep you on your toes!

Attachments

• 1000 Questions.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
My wife and I took and passed out Technician tests, but failed the General. As it turned out, there just was not enough time budgeting to get any study in. We made a lot of good connections today, both HAM operators and preppers alike, what a day! We hope to attend some of their monthly meetings, and we are definitely going to their Field day being held next weekend. Hoping to get ideas for a possible base station purchase.

Now we wait on the FCC to pay our $35 fee and get our call signs.

We crammed hard for the last two days on Ham Prep and Ham Study websites taking one practice test after another, and that seemed to work like a charm!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what applications will you use the HAM radio for, between you and your wife?

Back in the 70s I had to get some sort of license to use high powered walky talkies, but never went for HAM.

Started out as an SHTF journey, what with the way our country is headed. When we took the exam, the examinars kept referring to the AT&T bombing a couple Christmas' back, and said that was quite a membership drive, as a lot of people lost cell phone usage... HAM is definitely a nice option.

That being said, one of the obvious uses could be for radio tracking my rockets, as I wanted more options for trackers like those offered by Big Red Bee etc.

But yes, SHTF was the driving factor.

I got my Technician in 1994. My brother wants me to get my general and says he has a rig and antenna waiting for me once I get off my fat lazy buttocks and upgrade my license.

I got my Technician in 1994. My brother wants me to get my general and says he has a rig and antenna waiting for me once I get off my fat lazy buttocks and upgrade my license.
You can operate on some HF frequencies now. Not many, but a few.

Odd, next weekend is Field Day. Scheduling a Hamfest opposite that wouldn't usually work out very well.
You are correct, it is Field day and not Hamfest. My wife and I are looking forward to attending the event, as they have offered to help get some key items programmed into our radios. We are also considering a base/mobile station for central use, and are told we might get lucky.

There ios also going to be a balloon launch, an event they like to do from time to time. They have a board loaded with solar panels attached, and are hoping to track the balloon every where it goes.

Started out as an SHTF journey, what with the way our country is headed. When we took the exam, the examinars kept referring to the AT&T bombing a couple Christmas' back, and said that was quite a membership drive, as a lot of people lost cell phone usage... HAM is definitely a nice option.

That being said, one of the obvious uses could be for radio tracking my rockets, as I wanted more options for trackers like those offered by Big Red Bee etc.

But yes, SHTF was the driving factor.
Enjoy your licenses! I wish you every success with tracking and other applications.

For me, as a denizen of the suburbs, with family with complicated medical situations, planning for anything "SHTF" is a non-priority. Keeping food in the house to get past a temporary supply issue or electrical grid failure is one thing (makes sense for everybody, always), but if I had money or time to devote to contingency planning, a lot of things would crop up before SHTF for me. Everybody's situation is different, so I'm not suggesting my decision tree should apply to anyone else.

It would be fun to go for a license of my own, even if I have no short term need for it, but sadly time constraints push this far down my list. I hope you have fun with it and keep us posted on your exploits.

We attended our first meeting last night with the HAM club we tested with, and it was more fun than we thought. We learned more about Field day coming this weekend, and one of the helpful members guided us through programming a few of the local repeaters into our new radios... no call sign has been assigned to us yet, so we could not be sworn in as club members just yet.

One of the members demoed Wires-X on a Yaesu mobile station that utilizes that I believe Yaesu calls Fusion, which allows you to talk over the internet. Anyway, during the demo, we got to hear replies back from Gaineville, FL and Boston, MA. All very cool to the wife and I.

One of the avenues we want to learn more about is becoming storm spotters, not to be confused with storm chasers, to help with EMS during North Alabama's tornado seasons. Definitely excited to learn more here, as it fits into one of our many intended uses for our new adventure.

Last edited:
We attended our first meeting last night with the HAM club we tested with, and it was more fun than we thought. We learned more about Field day coming this weekend, and one of the helpful members guided us through programming a few of the local repeaters into our new radios... no call sign has been assigned to us yet, so we could not be sworn in as club members just yet.

One of the members demoed Wires-X on a Yaesu mobile station that utilizes that I believe Yaesu calls Fusion, which allows you to talk over the internet. Anyway, during the demo, we got to hear replies back from Gaineville, FL and Boston, MA. All very cool to the wife and I.

One of the avenues we want to learn more about is becoming storm spotters, not to be confused with storm chasers, to help with EMS during North Alabama's tornado seasons. Definitely excited to learn more here, as it fits into one of our many intended uses for our new adventure.
Keep checking ULS; licenses come through pretty quickly and the email notifications are easy to miss. With the newly adopted license fees it’s not as quick as before though. My license/call sign was available the next morning after I tested.
I’ve been playing with digital radio, since getting my license. I started with DMR and thought it was tough to understand until I finally got it. Now I’ve been playing with Fusion and WIRES-X. I’m not convinced that the different modes that can be used really make sense. Talking through a repeater will be easier, but setting up a home gateway for WIRES-X is much more expensive and complex than a DMR or YSF hotspot. I keep hoping it finally clicks for me like DMR did, but the more I experiment with WIRES-X the less hopeful I am. Someday I hope to learn about D*Star also.
Ham radio is a hobby that can be enjoyable at any age and in so many different ways that you should never be bored. It’s wonderful that you and your wife are doing it together!

License came through today; my call sign is officially KQ4BPP (Kilo Quebec 4 Bravo Papa Papa) I considered creating a vanity call sign, but I believe this one rolls off the tongue just fine... yeah, I practiced a bit.

Back