My UK Introduction.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just joined, not sure what I'll find.
What I expect and hope for is some good expert advice.

I am an engineer, living in Norfolk (England that is, not VA). I have started building rockets with my 10 year old grandson. Not sure who's having more fun at the moment.

I'm disappointed that I can't find a good UK source of information. That's why I'm here.

We've tried an Estes model rocket kit. That was ok, it worked, but not much of a challenge. Since then we've designed and built our own. We've been lucky so far, all have flown straight and true. My grandson is learning lots and I am using him as an excuse to fly rockets. For a 10 year old his grasp of mathematics and physics is growing along with his love and skill for football (that's soccer).

At the weekend we flew a 1 metre rocket of our own design with a D12-7 motor. Fantastic in the twilight of a Norfolk field.
The next one is a 2 metre rocket with 2 off D12-7's.

I am however looking forward to the middle of the year when I have promised my grandson that we will progress to mid power rockets. I am looking for advice as to how to get there.

I'll get back to you to be more specific on my questions. But in the meantime and by way of introduction, that's me and my grandson. I'm looking forward to good chat and advice.

Space Oddity.

Hi Space Oddity,

You can find lots of information here www.ukra.org.uk

For an engineer I imagine rocket building will always be a relatively easy challenge, especially kits, until you start spending small fortunes launching the really high power stuff. Something I will probably only ever dream of.

A good way to advance towards mid power, dependent on the size of the rockets you want to launch, would be to go and look at a 3grain cesaroni 24mm or 29mm motor. It's slightly more involved than shoving an estes BP motor in the back, and should send your rockets a little higher for not too much more cost.

You sound like you're heading the right way with the scratch builds and clustering etc. That is the route I decided to take very shortly after getting into the hobby and deciding I was bored gluing together estes kits in a few hours. Also look at multi stage, this is something I've never done but would like to.

If you are living in Norfolk then your local rocket club is www.ears.org.uk - I don't know of any that are closer.

We usually get quite a lot of people in the summer months and of course there is the BigEARS national event on the first may bank holiday weekend in 2014. There are strong rumours of planned Ms Ns and even an O class launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Welcome to the insanity sir., you seem to be well on your way! As long as you keep the grandson interested, your own antics will go mostly unnoticed!:dark:

Thanks all for the good advice,

Chadrog, I think you've nailed the biggest challenge!

Seriously though, the biggest challenges I've found so far are:

1. Supplies

The UK doesn't seem to have a good supply base for what I actually need. There are two reputable suppliers but stock is always a problem. The bits are never there when I need them and it is impractical and sometimes impossible to import from the US. I find it amazing how big the hobby is in the States and how little relative interest there is in the UK. Maybe there's a promotional job to do here?

2. Recovery

I always thought that designing a stable and safe rocket would be the biggest challenge. But no! Getting it back to the ground without a visit en route to a tree is the real issue. I've only lost one in a tree so far but that's more by the grace of the breeze than it is design (the orange parachute waves at me every time I drive by on the way to work each morning). Even in the wide rural skies of Norfolk, the trees snap like croc's when our rockets are descending.

Solving these things, I guess that's why we've joined the forum.

All the best

SO.

PS.

Thanks, Luke and Amell,

We'll definately have a look at the UKRA and Cambridge isn't that far away.

SO.

Hello from Bristol. UK shop and stock what's that. Back in the day with all the red tape on AP motors we had everything and 4 + shops.

So far for my L1 & L2 project I've bought it all states side.

Pad I've built.

Controller I'm building.

I have a fiends states side who has offered to ship items too me. Maybe we could all go in on an order. Split the shipping, any import duties and pay the guy states side something for helping us out (few beers or a meal to keep his wife sweet). Might not be a bad idea!

More of us cheaper it is. Plus lots of sales on states side. Pro series for $20!! Here they are £50

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I want some fibreglass alu tipped nosecones and I want them now. Is it possible to swim the atlantic? It's not far right?

Back