My turn for the "I want a rocket company" quarterly thread..... but different(ish)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this guy who is a friend of somebody who is going to blow you all away with his company, which I can't name right now. He (maybe a she) will be doing rocket stuff that will simply turn this sport upside down, but I don't know what it is yet. He has a website already & everything (www.I forget what.com) I cannot wait to tell you all about it once I figure out what it is.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

about 10 years ago, a guy who popped on the boards and had a 'new design, surprised NASA hadn't thought of it' idea; a finless rocket design. We (naturally) were all very interested, and prodded him to reveal his idea. he was tight lipped, and was asking us all sorts of questions as to what has been done & such to calidate his intent. He then just disappeared with a final "thanks, I now know what it out there, and you will see this soon, just need to test it.." he seemed genuinely serious! and we never heard form him again.

I believe he had a variation on the 'tube fin' concept.. I did see, on a popular science show [Daily Planet] at around that time, someone who had a 'novel' rocket idea. (tubes as fins)

I'll see if I can dig it up later..

I guess my point with my sarcastic post was, if you are going to announce something, announce it

No worries, and I plan on it soon. I just have to get a few things sorted out first and then register with the forum as a vendor. Not trying to build up any unreasonable hype just trying to stay in the rules.

about 10 years ago, a guy who popped on the boards and had a 'new design, surprised NASA hadn't thought of it' idea; a finless rocket design. We (naturally) were all very interested, and prodded him to reveal his idea. he was tight lipped, and was asking us all sorts of questions as to what has been done & such to calidate his intent. He then just disappeared with a final "thanks, I now know what it out there, and you will see this soon, just need to test it.." he seemed genuinely serious! and we never heard form him again.

I believe he had a variation on the 'tube fin' concept.. I did see, on a popular science show [Daily Planet] at around that time, someone who had a 'novel' rocket idea. (tubes as fins)

I'll see if I can dig it up later..
About ten years ago I showed up asking about what's been done with unusual fins. I had something I had dreamed up just to look novel, and was surprised to find that RockSim reported substantially lower drag and slightly lower weight that conventional fins giving the same CP. I explained that I had to be tight lipped because, if the idea panned out in reality, it might lead to a patent, and was certain to be proprietary, as I worked for a company that makes "real" rockets with fins, so I was reluctant to discuss it publicly. (I worked in a different division of that company.)

My first step, before pitching it to my employer, was to perform a cursory "present art" search, including asking a forum full of people with a lot more experience in model rocketry than I had. "I can't say what I've got, but I'd like to know what odd variations you've seen or done so I can see if one of them matches mine. Sorry I have to be so vague." It was the first post I'd made here.

The responses I got ranged from "Why are you being so tight lipped" to "How the heck can you expect help if you won't say what you've got?" to "No, dummy, you don't have to be tight lipped" to the downright silly. It was such a hostile, and useless response that I didn't come back for some years

I soon found out that, as I expected, the result was spurious. The idea was what is now becoming my Triple-V rocket.

Last edited:
In my case, I'm only being tight lipped temporarily, and for a couple specific reasons.

One, like I mentioned, I have to pay my fee for vending stuff on the forum. I'm also still waiting for my graphics guy to finish my new logo for the avatar but that won't hold me up at all.

2nd is that I've had plenty of experience with people stealing/copying ideas on me with pinball related designs. So I've learned not to 'debut' new potential products until they are near ready to release. Latest sample just arrived but I haven't had a chance to test the changes.

-Hans

About ten years ago I showed up asking about what's been done with unusual fins. I had something I had dreamed up just to look novel, and was surprised to find that RockSim reported substantially lower drag and slightly lower weight that conventional fins giving the same CP. I explained that I had to be tight lipped because, if the idea panned out in reality, it might lead to a patent, and was certain to be proprietary, as I worked for a company that makes "real" rockets with fins, so I was reluctant to discuss it publicly. (I worked in a different division of that company.)

My first step, before pitching it to my employer, was to perform a cursory "present art" search, including asking a forum full of people with a lot more experience in model rocketry than I had. "I can't say what I've got, but I'd like to know what odd variations you've seen or done so I can see if one of them matches mine. Sorry I have to be so vague." It was the first post I'd made here.

The responses I got ranged from "Why are you being so tight lipped" to "How the heck can you expect help if you won't say what you've got?" to "No, dummy, you don't have to be tight lipped" to the downright silly. It was such a hostile, and useless response that I didn't come back for some years

I soon found out that, as I expected, the result was spurious. The idea was what is not becoming my Triple-V rocket.

Huh! small world!

glad you came back!

The real-life private space companies that exist today started with the idea of someone who everyone around thought was insane. If you pay attention to what they tell you, you won't even start. Yes, in the market, demand creates supply. But there are also opposite situations. When you create a product that addresses the needs of people they don't know about yet. Nothing fundamentally new has appeared on this market.

Hard to emulate the big boys "just in time" supply chain isn't it? 😁

Ha! No attempt at big boy emulation, just overestimating inventory and underestimating sales. Rookie error. Happy to share all the mistakes I've made in the last year getting this up and running if it encourages someone else to try it as well.

Hm. All these little details to keep in mind, and losing track of one causes problems with all the others. Yup, definitely encouraged.

Back