My The Tomcat by MoreRockets build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do obsess a little with glider trim, I used to lose them a lot. I finally started dialing in a bit of a turn so even if the wind starts to carry it off, it will eventually turn in a circle, slowing down enough I usually recover them. I don't expect this one to be such a high performance glider that I'll lose it though... ;)

This kit is just too cool to not do a build thread. The Tomcat is a swing-wing design that uses glide recovery in a rather unique deployment method. There is a valve that when it vents the ejection charge it releases the wings allowing them to swing open.

The kit comes in a nicely packaged box with some very detailed instructions...

View attachment 454483View attachment 454484View attachment 454485View attachment 454486View attachment 454487
So glad MoreRockets resurrected this glider! I always felt that the single-pivot and wing-retention/release mechanism was really innovative and well thought out...and cool as heck. Enjoying all your detailed build pics!

Beginning on the wings, I notice a difference in the grain pattern of each. After lightly sanding them first I separate them from the sheets and glue the wingtips in place. Once dry I round the edges and decide to weigh them to see how the different grain affects that. 7.91 and 7.36 grams respectively, so a bit over a half a gram...

View attachment 454613View attachment 454614View attachment 454615View attachment 454616View attachment 454617View attachment 454618View attachment 454620View attachment 454621View attachment 454622
I'm surprised that they didn't use the same grade of balsa for both wings. The left wing looks like A or B grain balsa (more flexible than C grain, which is what was used for the right wing. C grain is much more rigid).

Question: any idea why the motor is offset? Due to preset elevator angle?

I believe that's the idea, although it isn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions. The main concern there is to not have it twisted so that the thrust is aimed straight. the positioning would seem to counter the elevators effect while under thrust...

I also installed the bulkhead, but I had to notch it as the valve spring wire was not letting it in far enough to allow the nose cone to fully seat. I had cleaned up the epoxy at the wire, but I still needed more clearance. The only glue on the bulkhead was at the disk/tube joint. That's all I have today, canopy work is next to do...

IMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0480.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpg

Did a little bit after my work shift yesterday. I had a bit more trouble with the canopy than expected- not a real problem, but it was a little finicky about splitting cleanly. Normally with the vacuum formed parts, a light scoring with a knife, and then a bit of a back and forth folding along the score and it breaks cleanly. This one did not do that- it would split along parts of the fold, and a few spots inevitably just bent. Also, the definition could have been better, so while the overall quality of the canopy is good, some aspects could be better.

I did mark the outline as it was a bit hard to see the line for scoring- and I initially cut it wide, and then had to make a few cuts around the tight corner, but I got a good rough cut...

IMG_0490.jpgIMG_0491.jpgIMG_0492.jpgIMG_0493.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0496.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0498.jpgIMG_0500.jpg

Good to see you had a little problem cutting the canopy;) From your pictures and the difficulty cutting it looks to be much more pliable and heavier/ thicker than the Estes ones are, and this a good thing. The Estes canopies cut very easy and break very easy.

I then went around it and trimmed closer to the final line, but again due to the lightness of the mold impression I did go around with a marker trying to indicate what to remove, but I couldn't mark a line straight enough to go by. Holding it at specific angles to the light made it easier to see the actual line, I have one blurry photo trying to show that. By pressing down slightly I was able to use the Xacto to score again and get close. Also started the hole for the wing pivot in the canopy dimple...

IMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpgIMG_0503.jpgIMG_0504.jpgIMG_0505.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0508.jpg

Good to see you had a little problem cutting the canopy;) From your pictures and the difficulty cutting it looks to be much more pliable and heavier/ thicker than the Estes ones are, and this a good thing. The Estes canopies cut very easy and break very easy.
Yes, definitely heavier and more pliable than the traditional Estes. Just a bit more work. :D

A bit of sanding, and even a little VERY CAREFUL work with some shears and I think I'm happy with the canopy. Some of my markings are left, but I didn't want to remove too much- an initial fitting looks good to me...

IMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0511.jpgIMG_0512.jpgIMG_0513.jpgIMG_0514.jpg

Now comes the attachment of the wings. Using the other disc reserved from the motor mount as a washer, the one with a center hole, I had to sand the tip of the pivot post a bit as it was a very tight fit. There is a rubber cap that will ensure the wings remain on, it is indeed also a tight fit. Two rubber bands are used to ensure enough spring force as well as some redundancy..

IMG_0515.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0521.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0524.jpg

A quick test shows the mechanism works, so there is a shim to add to the side with the wing mounted on top of the other wing. Mark the location with the wings extended, carefully remove the rubber cap, washer and wings, lightly sand the gloss coat and glue it on. I left it there to dry, and called it a night...

IMG_0525.jpgIMG_0535.jpgIMG_0536.jpgIMG_0537.jpgIMG_0538.jpgIMG_0540.jpgIMG_0541.jpgIMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

The hole for the wing pivot post needs to be sized so the cowling fits over the rubber cap and can just touch the wings. I used a small piece of rolled up sandpaper, inserting a pencil tip when space allowed, checking my progress along the way to avoid making it too large- the fit should be loose, but I don't want sloppy. Once I got the fit right, it revealed the trim at the base of the cockpit was just a little long still. A bit more sanding and I'm happy with the fit. I mark the nose cone after aligning the seam with the tube center line to aid in gluing the cockpit later. It doesn't get glued to the body tube in order to provide access to the wings and mechanisms for maintenance as needed...

IMG_0545.jpgIMG_0546.jpgIMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0552.jpgIMG_0553.jpgIMG_0554.jpg

A little rounding of the leading and trailing edges of the vertical stabilizers and a cut of the card stock for some right-angle guides, and I test fit them. The tubes are slightly covering the slits for the fin tabs making it difficult to insert it fully. I take an intermediate step and glue the tube along the elevator after inserting the stabilizers and I let that dry...

IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0556.jpgIMG_0557.jpgIMG_0558.jpgIMG_0559.jpgIMG_0561.jpgIMG_0562.jpg

With the slots more open now it was easier to install the stabilizers, but I did still use my knife to get things seated properly. I got concerned about the guides getting stuck in the glue at the joint, then realized if I locate it ate the rear corner I avoided the glue completely. Glued them on and I'm done for the night. Fillets and cockpit attachment tomorrow...

IMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0565.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0567.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpg

Great build thread, Wally, and you're doing superb work. The quality of this kit looks fantastic, I may have to take another look at morerockets.com.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I do like MoreRockets, nice quality repro kits. To the rest of the Tomcat club, do you have a favorite motor for this kit? Anyone put a composite D in it..?

I've only flown mine on C6-3's, really no other choice until now except for the Aerotech 18mm. RMS, which I never cared to buy. I'm going to try the D Q-Jets should get a few more feet out of it. I have a bunch of the Q-Jets already.

I've only flown mine on C6-3's, really no other choice until now except for the Aerotech 18mm. RMS, which I never cared to buy. I'm going to try the D Q-Jets should get a few more feet out of it. I have a bunch of the Q-Jets already.
yeah! take some pics or post some video. I'd really like to see that!

Back