My son back in 2015 made something Speshll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danomite45

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I came across these photos while looking at my photobucket today.

Back in October of 2015 my son Dillon wanted to make a rocket for his granddad and grandmother in Washington.

We drew it out on graph paper, he picked out body tube size, length, nose cone, and fin shape. The fins he drew were a bit small, so he increase the size. Then I had him color the drawing using crayons. We ended up drawing 3 different rockets and painting them slightly different so he could decide on a color scheme. He insisted on blue, yellow and white. Blue and yellow were his school colors, I don't know where the white came from.

During the design process, I asked him what he wanted to name it, and he said he wanted it "to be special".

So I was like…”Special”?

He smiled and wrote down 'Speshll". He was so proud, I didn’t bother to correct him.

We went to Stickershock’s website and chose the font and letter size, and had the vinyl decals made.

I had the parachute custom made to match the rocket paint scheme.

The rocket was boxed up and sent to his grandparents home in Spokane in time for Christmas. It sat on display for many years. Both grandparents are gone now, I don’t know what ever happened to that rocket, but I know it never flew.

Those were good times. Now all he wants to do is play video games. Sigh.
Dillon making Speshll.jpgSpeshll.jpgSpeshll w parachute.jpg

Those were good times. Now all he wants to do is play video games. Sigh.

I can appreciate your slight frustration, but just keep in mind the cool experience you shared and I'm sure the joy he created for his grandparents. Life takes you in lots of different directions, but your son I'm sure will have those memories with him forever. Some day, he may be posting on this website as a new BAR, recounting the cool memories he has of building a rocket back in the day with his dad to send to his grandparents...

EDIT: Forgot to add - REALLY nice job on the rocket. What a cool gift.

Back