My Sidewinder launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Another launch..

this time, my Estes Sidwinder. Again, either the niece or nephew puching the button.

This launch 'broke its back' so the rocket is R.I.P.
(now jsut for display)

How many of you had this rocket? I opted to have one big chute instead of it 'ejecting' into two parts: Nose cone, and body.. but the nose popped off at ejection, causing the body to plummet to eath.. with the recovery chute attached happily to the noze cone. Looks like the ejection gasses burned though the shock cord..

did you use enough recovery wadding?
those elastic shock cords can be iffy at times...

did you get a nice core sample?
;)

I have this kit but never finished it! The fins warped so much after I put the sanding sealer on them that I have to replace them to fly it safely. I also came up with a way to make it so the forward fins have little or no effect on the rockets CP. I am considering putting this mod in when/if I redo the aft fin set.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I think the Sidewinder is OOP , i've not seen it around for a while!
Shame to hear about the damge , those knicker elastic shock cords can be rubbish at times!
-Karl

Heh...at least you remembered the 'chute. 25+ years of flying and my Sidewinder was the first rocket I ever forgot to put the 'chute in...:eek:

The Sidewinder is OOP and goes for upwards of $24 on ebay these days. I've built one and it's a great flyer. I've got another that I'm going to convert to D/E power soon. Maybe after that Python...

MetMan

Back