My Semroc Mars Lander Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to working on this project again. I shot a picture of
where I finished up last night. I snuck out to the shop this morning and got
a few more peices glued up so they will be dry for tonight. :cheers:

I built the original Estes version 30 years ago or so. I do have to say the
Semroc kit is a better quality kit from what I remember. I have an Estes
Scissor wing glider in the works also. Oh what next to start on... I got a
big box yesterday from Semroc. So many rockets, such little time... :confused2:

Thought I would share.

100_2949.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like the Lander is going together nicely for you. Keep us updated on your progress!

Does Semroc include embossed wraps, or are they going a different route for that?

-Kevin

Does Semroc include embossed wraps, or are they going a different route for that?

-Kevin

Yeah...they are embossed. Semroc did and excellent job on this repro. But then, they do a great job on everything.

Semroc re-issue is in the build stage, just about as far as Shane.
The panels are embossed, but the lines are not as deep as the original Estes version. There's nothing wrong with the new embossing, it's more subtle.

I was home in California last month and saw my original Mars Lander in the ranch attic. It was never flown, the long launch lug was slightly turned inside the body. It could have gotten stuck on the launch rod.
The rubber band "shocks" were still working in two of the four legs.

Who needs food! This was done on my "lunch break."
There are benefits when you work from home.

The main fuseluge is just "test fit" assembled for now.

100_2952.JPG

100_2953.JPG

-Kevin

Yes, they are embossed.

Dangit, Carl, you and Sheryl are gonna get me in trouble.....

-Kevin

Between hunting, shooting, :bangbang: and rockets, I am continually in trouble
with SWMBO. (She Who Must Be Obeyed)

The panels are embossed, but the lines are not as deep as the original Estes version. There's nothing wrong with the new embossing, it's more subtle.
The Semroc wraps are glossy and seem easier to work with than what I remember.
But then again my memory has been effected by much beer, tequila and scotch
over the years... :cheers:

Last edited:
I have my Estes Mars Lander still in its box..Was totally intimidated by it after buying it all those years ago!:rolleyes: I have the SEMROC one somewhere in my 'Kit Room' that I will get to eventually..:eek:

Build is looking AWESOME Shade! Keep 'em comin'!:D

Build is looking AWESOME Shade! Keep 'em comin'!:D

As requested...

The first pic is just the landing gear finished up. I have
always thought they were cool as hell.

The second picture is a "Timing" mark I put on the aft
bulkhead as well as the outside of the Decent module Body tube.
That way between marking the cuts in the outer edge of the
aft bulkhead ring and glueing it up later I would not loose
orientation. The mark is to the left of and behind the launch lug.

The last picture is of the decent module and engine wraps
glued up. I used the ascent module to make sure the
alignment is correct on the decent module's body tube, it was not
glued in place yet.

FYI,

The decent module is the lowest section of the main body (BT-100).
Ascent module is the center section and largest wrap.
Command module is the top wrap just below the nose cone.

Landing gear assy.JPG

Timing Mark.JPG

Glued up.JPG

Last edited:
Shade, Nice progress you've made. I've got mine out of the bag, and in a big cardboard box now, ready to start. I have so much started now, I am torn as to whether I can start it, and catch up with you. And judging by your pace, I doubt I can.

I did my Outlander in flat gray, and have this urge to do the Mars Lander the same:

I did my Outlander in flat gray, and have this urge to do the Mars Lander the same:

I like the way that looks I think I might copy your idea. I have an Outlander
still in the bag. Actually the Mars Lander is not all that hard. Just tedious, I
do really like the Semroc kit.

Well here it is together. Just needs some paint and decals.

Lee, the more I think about it I am gonna steal you paint scheme, I like it.
Thanks for sharing.

If you look at the antenna close up you can see a small wrinkle in the wrap above the antenna. One thing I found is the material that Semroc uses for the wraps is sensitive to too much glue, at least with the glue I use, Ambroid liquid cement. The glue ends up pulling the wrap as it dries. I have a few minor defects like that one. The flat gray paint should hide them well.

Just needs paint.JPG

One more shot.JPG

Antenna.JPG

Shade, excellent job! Can't wait to see the finished pix:cool:
I'm thinking I may this kit a try for my next project.
Thanks for posting:cheers:

Thanks. I just got back from town and picked up some flat gray paint. I
have some welding to do in the shop first but I should get a coat or two of
gray on it tonight. All the wood has 2 coats of sanding sealer on it already.

Well here it is together. Just needs some paint and decals.

Lee, the more I think about it I am gonna steal you paint scheme, I like it.
Thanks for sharing.

Shade,

My pleasure. I'll be anxious to see how yours turns out, and I realize I am never gonna catch you and have my done at about the same time as you.

I used the Testors flat light gray in the little cans on my Outlander, but recently bought large can s of light and medium gray in large Rustoleum cans. I am anxious to try them out.

If you want the Mars Lander-style decals for the Outlander, check with Excelsior. They were beautifully done, and very easy to apply.

have you glued the shrouds/BT-100 to the base? If not it's MUCH easier to paint the legs with everything off.

I went with the standard white/red paint on mine, The Semroc wraps are so nice I did not even paint them!

Looks like a nice job on the build.

I used the Testors flat light gray in the little cans on my Outlander, but recently bought large can s of light and medium gray in large Rustoleum cans. I am anxious to try them out.

Just so other know, the rustoleum tall canned gray primer - it's not a very sandable primer. I'd stay away from it.

great thread :) looks good :) how well do the landers fly?
Cheers
fred

Just so other know, the rustoleum tall canned gray primer - it's not a very sandable primer. I'd stay away from it.

Just for clarification, my reference to the large cans of Rustoleum was for two colors of gray paint in gloss, not their primer.

have you glued the shrouds/BT-100 to the base? If not it's MUCH easier to paint the legs with everything off.

I went with the standard white/red paint on mine, The Semroc wraps are so nice I did not even paint them!

Looks like a nice job on the build.

Yeah I though about that but I was in a hurry to get it build.

Did not get much done on the Rockets this past weekend. Had a little fab job for SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21524

My pleasure. I'll be anxious to see how yours turns out, and I realize I am never gonna catch you and have my done at about the same time as you.
That I would never make bets on, I have a few rockets that are over a year in stasis...

Me and the testors spray paints do not work well together. Also they are soo darn pricey for the little amount of paint you get.

I first read you post right after I glued the BT-100 tube on the aft bulkhead. doh...

Yeah it would have been alot easier!!!

great thread :) looks good :) how well do the landers fly?
From what I remember from the first Estes lander I built 30 years ago. They fly great in light winds, IIRC mine crashed in moderate winds and was beyond repair.

Well I got the painting done I did a little black and silver on the antenae for contrast. Painting the legs would have been a whole lot easier prior to assembly.

I found a nice gloss gray (Ford (New Holland) Tractor Factory Match) at the local implement dealer. The red, gray and black are Testors liquid.

I hope to have the decals on tonight and then a light coat of gloss over the whole thing and it will be ready to fly. I can launch it here at the house so all I need is a windless day.

mars lander 1.JPG

mars lander 2.JPG

mine is done but still needs a coat of gloss white and the decals lol and yet it has been flown and repaired a cpl times their great people at semroc truely wounderful. i had to adjust the nosewaight to mine but other then that great flights.

Shade,

Nice paint job, indeed! If that is gray, it sure looks light in the pictures. We have a store here called Jax Mercantile that sells all kinds of farm implement paint, so I may have to check out their selections.

I am irritated yet again with Testors -- I have another can that is throwing globs of paint, despite shaking it vigorously for a minute or so. I may try to soak the can in warm water to bring the temperature up, and see if that makes it spray better. The little cans are definitely finicky.

Nice paint job, indeed! If that is gray, it sure looks light in the pictures. We have a store here called Jax Mercantile that sells all kinds of farm implement paint, so I may have to check out their selections.
It is a very light gray. I will have to take a picture with a white background.
but it might not make a difference, since my photo skills are very poor.

I am irritated yet again with Testors -- I have another can that is throwing globs of paint, despite shaking it vigorously for a minute or so. I may try to soak the can in warm water to bring the temperature up, and see if that makes it spray better. The little cans are definitely finicky.
My guess is it is more a function of the nozzle than the paint.

Shade,

I still have not got the decals on it but soon I hope and some clear coat. Maybe be able to fly it once winter and "mud-season" is over... :rolleyes:

Well here it is ready to fly.

I have been digging around and found a few other started rockets.
So the mess on the bench has grown.

Rockets in progress...
- PML AMRAAM 3 (for my level 1 and 2 this summer) Needs paint and finishing touches.
- 2 Scratch builds that are basically done save for paint and names.
- LOC V-2 3.9" repairs from a lawn dart episode, (I will blame Aerotech for a long delay
.. grain, LOL, cause it could not have been me.) I streched the airframe and it will be
.. named the RatRoc*
- Semroc Orbital Transport being built
- Estes Scissor Wing, started a long time ago with my younger son.
- Estes Mean Machine, actually not my build, my elder son's project.

* A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or
exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Although the term likely
started out as derogatory or pejorative (and is still used in this way by many), members
of the subcultures that build and enjoy these cars have adopted the term in a positive
light.

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Really nice looking build and finish on the lander.

I've been fooling around with one for over a year...just can't seem to make myself work on stuff this large LOL!!!
Oh well maybe It'll get finished someday.

Back