My Semroc Mars Lander Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome when do you plan to fly it?
Cheers
fred
As soon as mud season is over... Everything is melting into mud right now.

Really nice looking build and finish on the lander.

I've been fooling around with one for over a year...just can't seem to make myself work on stuff this large LOL!!!
Oh well maybe It'll get finished someday.

LOL, and I was working on a RocSim File for my LOC Big Nuke last night.

Really nice build!

2 questions. How much does it weigh? How far apart are the legs.

The legs need to be less than 13.5 inches in span and it needs to be built light.

Mine has a free span of 13 inches and a resting span of 13.5 in.

Mine comes in at 4.7oz without a motor.

The last thing Carl at Semroc has said is make sure you don't have a lot of side to side play in the legs. If you do they could cock under boost and act like rudders. He suggests using small shims if you have excess play.

A B6-2 is a good first motor to use, but don't expect much more than 75-90 ft of altitude. Make sure the parachute is nice and lose because it will not have much time to deploy. I have had good luck with mine on C6-3s, it will almost get to 200ft! One last thing, launch only in no to light wind.

Hope this helps, mine has flown many times over the last 4 years. I love this rocket. Good luck on the launch!

Really nice build!

2 questions. How much does it weigh? How far apart are the legs.

The legs need to be less than 13.5 inches in span and it needs to be built light.

Mine has a free span of 13 inches and a resting span of 13.5 in.

Mine comes in at 4.7oz without a motor.

The last thing Carl at Semroc has said is make sure you don't have a lot of side to side play in the legs. If you do they could cock under boost and act like rudders. He suggests using small shims if you have excess play.

A B6-2 is a good first motor to use, but don't expect much more than 75-90 ft of altitude. Make sure the parachute is nice and lose because it will not have much time to deploy. I have had good luck with mine on C6-3s, it will almost get to 200ft! One last thing, launch only in no to light wind.

Hope this helps, mine has flown many times over the last 4 years. I love this rocket. Good luck on the launch!

Thanks
4.2 oz (119.5 g)
I checked the leg span during the build do not remember exact measurement IIRC they were just under 13"
I will also check the CG when I get it loaded up to launch.

Last edited:
Wow 4.2! Thats great! That will help a lot. The legs/fins don't give a lot of stability so it needs to get to a good speed before it leaves the rod. 4.2oz will help with that.

Wow, Shade.... that looks really SWEET! You did a great job. I hope to someday add one of those to my fleet, and will be looking back on threads like this for reference. Nice work!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. :)

One last picture, I got my 10 year old to do some modeling of the model.

I will add more on once I fly it.

P1010008.JPG

Has your Lander made it into the air yet?

I think the whole concept of a LANDER is against that ;)

Anyway, that looks great! Maybe you should get your 10 year old into rocketry, then I will finaly have someone younger than me :D well other than Kevin's 6-year old son who's name I can't recall...

Anyway Looks great again, and a friendly reminder to add nose weight if you launch with a D21 ;)

Back