My quest for an O motor launch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am mostly interested in getting video of high power launches, so I would probably start off at least 100 feet away, more likely 300 feet, or even more. If I’m that far away, I probably would not need to adjust much if anything for the flight, right?

I bet so, yeah. Especially with online videos that folks stream over the internet, a small change in focus won't be detectable.

The zoom was really nice. I liked that you could zoom in to a nice tight shot of the rocket on the pad, then back off far enough that you could track it in flight, then zoom back in for the coast and deployment.

Can you tell me what camera you are using?

Thanks!

I'm using a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II which has a micro 4/3 sensor. The small size of the camera and lens is an advantage when I'm chasing a 5 year old and recovering rockets all day. It is light and easy to point up at the sky. For a lens, I'm using the 40-150 f/4-5.6 lens, also small and light. There are certainly higher quality and more advanced camera options out there (and more $$$), but this very nicely suits my needs (and wants) and is a pleasure to use. I used to shoot Olympus film cameras years ago, so the knobs and controls are very familiar to me.

I'm using a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II which has a micro 4/3 sensor. The small size of the camera and lens is an advantage when I'm chasing a 5 year old and recovering rockets all day. It is light and easy to point up at the sky. For a lens, I'm using the 40-150 f/4-5.6 lens, also small and light. There are certainly higher quality and more advanced camera options out there (and more $$$), but this very nicely suits my needs (and wants) and is a pleasure to use. I used to shoot Olympus film cameras years ago, so the knobs and controls are very familiar to me.

Thanks for the info!

Here's the Raven data:

Average PreLaunch Altitude (ft) = Val: -373.00
Average PreLaunch Axial (Gs) = Val: 0.81
Average PreLaunch Axial Offset = Val: 0.81
Axial Accel (Gs) = Min: -7.41 Max: 17.71
Baro (Atm) = Min: 0.5534 Max: 1.0136
Current Draw (A) = Min: 0.00 Max: 0.06
Flight Count = Val: 22.00
Lateral Accel (Gs) = Min: -1.81 Max: 2.06
Motor Ignition Time (sec) = Val: 0.160
Temperature (F) = Min: 58.15 Max: 61.10
Time (sec) = Min: 0.000 Max: 32.980
Velocity (Accel-Ft/Sec) = Min: 0 Max: 1167
Volts Battery (V) = Min: 7.98 Max: 8.02
Volts Pyro 3rd (V) = Min: -0.02 Max: 0.00
Volts Pyro 4th (V) = Min: -0.02 Max: 0.00
Volts Pyro Apogee (V) = Min: -0.02 Max: 0.00
Volts Pyro Main (V) = Min: -0.02 Max: 0.00
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)] = Min: 0 Max: 18331
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)] = Min: -1 Max: 15860
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-ASL)] = Min: -374 Max: 15487
[Velocity (Accel-Ft/Sec)] = Min: 0 Max: 1181
[Velocity (Accel-MPH)] = Min: 0 Max: 805

upload_2020-2-10_19-32-0.png

Eyeballing it, looks like my descent rate under drogue was about 82.25 fps, under main was about 23.26 fps. Not bad.

Oh say can you P?
Reminds me of my favorite RSO quote from 2019 National Sport Launch. Apparently they were having problem establishing continuity control on the far pad, which was being used for a huge two stage rocket.

This came booming over the microphone:

”I can’t get anything on the P-pad!”

RSO reference to a technical glitch which delayed an ultimately spectacular two stage HPR flight.

I’m looking for a company that can make an aluminum centering ring for a 4.5 inch rocket. Any help is appreciated.

Back